Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yet another 'best tube amp' thread...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Parrty, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Parrty

Parrty TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Antrim, NH
    'Morning all,

So I have read a bunch of the best tube amp threads, but none of them hit what I am looking for, so here goes:

The best small tube amp that has reverb & an effects loop. Low wattage is preferable, as I don't need or even want volume. If I need to get loud, I'll just mic it. What I am looking for is TONE. Two channels would be a bonus, but I can get by with just one with the effects loop, I think.

Suggestions?

Thanks!!

2. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    There are a lot out there. Vibro King?

3. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Mesa Boogie Mark V

4. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

What are you playing?

I'll tell yeah, recently I have rediscovered my Blackstar HT-5R after playing it through a Celestion Greenback loaded cab. Two channel w/ effects loop and reverb. With the greenback it went from a one trick high gain pony to having some real nice sparkly clean tone and a killer OD tone as well along with its really smooth high gain.

5. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 27, 2010
    Seattle WA
    Since you didn't specify your budget, it sounds like a SuperSonic 22 would be the amp for you.

It's small (relative to a Super Reverb) it has reverb, effects loop, and two channels.

If you meant small - like 12 watts or less, I don't have any suggestions.

6. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Vox AC15. Effects loop, master volume, reverb, tremolo, 2 channels, 15W. Next question.

7. Parrty

Parrty TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Antrim, NH
    Great suggestions, and really appreciated. I didn't specify a budget because I don't really have one. Under a grand, I guess. I love the Mesa Boogie Marks, but they do tend to stay north of a thousand. As for what I am playing, well, just about everything. I guess I tend towards 70's hard rock, but I really do cover just about all rock styles, from all decades. I have everything from an Ibanez s470dxqm to a 2011 American Deluxe Mahogany Strat (HSS), to a 1990 LP Studio Light w/an ebony fingerboard. Played through a P1 I built from plans on ax84.com (5 watts), and an Ampeg b15n (if I need to be loud). I also have a couple of SS amps, but they tend to sound too harsh & artificial to me after a while. Neither the P1 or the Ampeg have reverb or an effects loop, so that is what mostly prompted the original question.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Blackstar has some smaller tube amps that do the Marshall thing really well, and have good sounding clean channels as well. They don't get much attention around here, but if you're looking for classic rock tones you should search them out on YouTube.

9. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2011
    los angeles

10. treedroppings

treedroppings TDPRI Member

Aug 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    A small Laney tube amp sounds good for you, if you want new.

I like my Mesa Mark 1, but I got it in a trade for Peavy XXX and had to fix it for another $350, so I guess they are expensive:lol:
    I plug it into a 2x 12" cab, I made out of sapele (sides), and maple ply front/back.
    sounds better than its combo speaker

[​IMG]

11. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's

You've not given us remotely enough info to be able to recommend something that might fit. First - how loud? What's "small" to you? A bedroom amp might be 1/2 watt, a small gig amp might be 15 watts. Second - do you want a clean amp (non-master volume) to use with you getting your gain from pedals, or do you want an amp that will give you both clean and dirty sounds at various volumes (that requires a master volume or power scaling or other volume - dirt balance system). Third - what primary "voice" do you want the amp to have - Fender Tweed? Fender Blackface? Vox? Marshall? Dumble? Trainwreck? Or something less common? Fourth, how much does bulletproof pro-touring quality mean to you and are you willing to pay for it? If indestructablity and repairability matter to you, you'd buy a Bad Cat or Matchless over a modern Vox, for instance.

12. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Is an effects loop even really necessary? I know some people claim it is but many of the most recorded classic amps of all time didn't have effects loops. So long as the amp takes pedals well does it really matter if they are in front of the amp or in a loop?

13. Timewarp Guitar

Timewarp Guitar TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Pawtucket,RI
    I have a couple of tube amps that I love dearly, a 1964 blackface Princeton, no reverb, and a 68 Dual Showman, no reverb. The Showman will cover just about any room I've ever played in, and I play it through a small Bassman 2x12 cab. The Princeton has been modified to about 60 watts, and is no slouch, either. They both give great clean tone from the all tube platforms, and both take pedals well. I have a 65 watt Peavey that I take when I don't feel up to the weight of the tube amps, but it doesn't please the ear like the Fenders. The amp I miss most is the Blackface (1964) Deluxe Reverb that I traded on the Showman back in the day. If you can come up with an original Blackface Deluxe, I think you'll find everything you need in one amp.They will take any pedal youu want to use, they break up nicely, and depending on the mike, sound great through a pa.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    If you're getting your grit from the preamp stages (which is actually true more often than most people realize), then delays and reverbs tend to sound pretty bad in front of the amp. Of course you could run without a loop like has been done on countless albums over the decades, then all you'd need to do is have the engineer add the effects at the board. ;)

15. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2010
    Ohio
    Wow. I just bought the toniest old tube amp I've ever heard. I saw it at the Cols. OH guitar show for less than $500. Reverb and tremolo and breaks up with the sweetest tubey overdrive you could possibly want. It is rough and ugly so I am going to shop around for a "clean" version.
    With no pedals, the sustain goes for days.
    But, no effects loop.

16. 410DeVille

410DeVille Tele-Meister

May 26, 2012
    USA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.