Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yet another Amp choose question

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by agv100, Feb 7, 2014.

1. agv100

agv100 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Moscow, Russia
    Hello guys,

Looking for amp/setup for home use, and rare jams with friends.

It shall be tube, it shall have two channels (or m.b. choose amp + pedal?) as I like "fast" switching between clean and dirty sounds, it should have speakersim (the must. I can spend time playing at night, also for recording).
    It should have "home" power settings (1 Watt or so on).
    Aux in is preferable also as well as loop.
    From sound point of view, I like bright clean, and distinctive distorted, not need extra high-gain, vintage hard/progressive/blues/etc sound is most interesting.

What would you advice?

Feature-wide Marshall DSL5C, Peavey Valveking (MkII) 20 are good.
    Any experience with them?
    Lil Night Train is interesting, good sound by videos, I also can try it in the shop (rather others that only can be ordered online)... But no loop, single channel... Does placing delay/chorus in front of LNT makes sence?

What else would you advice?
    May be use "external" speakersim box (such as Palmer produces)??

Thanks for help!

2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    You could have a look at the Engl Gigmaster 15. It´s a two channel 15 watt tube amp with a built-in powersoak with 5 watt / 1 watt / quiet position and a balanced direct out with speaker sim and effect loop.

3. agv100

agv100 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Moscow, Russia
    Do you have one? I thought they are mainly for metal... But any live experience?
    I have no chance to check'em, only buy online!

PS. Another option is new Ibanez TSA5TVR, thought, but also have nowhere closer them!

4. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
    agv100,

sorry, i have no knowledge base to help with which particular amp you might want.

but i do have some advice about mains power [see below link]...

which ever amp you choose--make sure it is good to run 220 volt ~FIFTY CYCLE~ electricity.

US mains power is 120 volt ~SIXTY CYCLE~ electricity.

voltage converters are cheap, and plentiful. one that will convert 50Hz power to 60Hz will likely cost more than your amplifier does. don't be guilty of abusing the transformer in your guitar amplifier!!!

mitchfit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

5. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Yes, I have one. I have limited live experience: what´s your question? Regarding the sound, I will send you an email.

6. agv100

agv100 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Moscow, Russia
    Mitchfit,

Don't know if you are joking but...
    I think that items for sale in EU online retailers are all adopted to EU power which is 50 Hz and compatible with Russian mains...
    If we don't have something locally we usually order it from some well-known european online stores... Never heard about power problems...

7. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
    ..."Don't know if you are joking but"...

serious as a heart attack. i know for sure that Mark Baier of Victoria Amplifiers [victoriaamps.com] and Winfield Thomas of Winfield Amplification [winfieldamps.com] both put in oversized trannys [about 20%] when exporting to 50Hz countries.

obviously, EU mfgd amps will be spec'd for 50Hz.

but it's up to you...

mitchfit

8. agv100

agv100 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Moscow, Russia
    Ullrich,

Thanx for mail... And nice playing!
    Will try to find ENGL locally to test.

BTW recently visited local store, and tried AC4, Lil Night Train and Marshall SL5.
    Found AC4 best for me(sl5 worst) but from features point of view it is not enough ...only if not to buy two, setup one for clean andone for distorted, and use footswich to switch between ones;)

9. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Maybe I should add, the Engl is definitely no amp with huge clean headroom; if you want a really clean channel, it´s the wrong gear for You.

10. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Roma Urbe
    Koch Studiotone 20
    All valve, two EL84, 20watts into a sixty watt 12" speaker.
    From sparkling cleans to mellow jazz to metal trash all in one box. Speaker cabinet emulation output, direct output, fx send/return, headphones output and a dummy load option to run it without a speaker. I own one and I'm very satisfied with it. I also own a Princeton RI that lacks all of the above extras but has the same price new!

Sent from my GT-S7500 using TDPRI

11. nresnik

nresnik NEW MEMBER!

Dec 3, 2013
    Varazdin, Croatia
    I would recommend a Mesa/Boogie with EL84 Tubes. After having all sorts of top-notch amps, I find Boogie the closest to perfection. With EL84 Boogie you could have all sorts of pro sounds in one amp. Really.

12. Myewgul

Myewgul TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2014
    St. Louis
    Tubemeister?
    Used Mesa Studio .22?
    Tweaker?
    Dual terror, th30?

The gigmaster has VERY little clean headroom, but the ironball is much better. Maybe a thunder or screamer? Don't know your budget.

13. agv100

agv100 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Moscow, Russia
    900USD/700eur is top of what I'm ready to spend...

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Carvin Nomad meets your criteria except 1 watt mode, but IDK if you can get it in Russia

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.