Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yet another 4-way wiring issue.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by PetesWindmill, Aug 8, 2018.

1. PetesWindmill

PetesWindmill NEW MEMBER!

Aug 8, 2018
    Texas
    Howdy guys! Longtime member of Strat-Talk next door, but decided to come here cause I think this is the most relevant place for a Tele issue I've been having.

I've been wiring up a Tele for a friend with a 4 position switch in the standard Fender 4 way Layout, and just when everything seemed to be working great, I notice that the bridge pickup is cutting out on the 4 position (Both pups in Series). Since everything else is working fine, I believe that the issue must lie in one of the jumpers on the switch, however, I am not certain which jumper deals with the bridge pickup in the series position.

At least that is my thinking.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what jumper should I focus my attention to, and is there anything else that could be causing the issue?

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    A pic would help. Could be a bad solder joint or one or if the control cavity is shielded (copper tape, conductive paint, etc.) one or more of the terminals may be shorting to the shielding. I believe the 4-way switch body to be a little larger than the stock 3-way. Again, pics would help.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

3. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds like the neck pup has an alternate path to ground, thereby "shunting" the bridge pup in the series throw. Make sure that the neck pup's NEGATIVE lead doesn't go to ground ANYWHERE except THROUGH the 4-way, and that in the series throw, it connects only the bridge pup's hot lead.

moosie likes this.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Here's the diagram for that circuit. The series position is #4 (switch tip pointing towards headstock). The blue wire on the switch jumpers the two pickups together.

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.45.58 AM.png

5. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

The 4-way switch throw takes it further than the 3-way: the switch might be hitting the end of the control plate slot and not fully engaging in the last position. That could give an intermittent connection.

6. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    ^^^^^^
    Seems to happen a lot. The switch "throw" angle between the first and last positions is greater with the 4 way than the 3 or 5 way switches.
    Try removing the switch from the control plate or just loosening the screws and make sure that posn 4 is fully engaged. You might have to file the control plate slot with a needle file.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    AAT65 and Wally like this.

7. PetesWindmill

PetesWindmill NEW MEMBER!

Aug 8, 2018
    Texas
    Guys, thank you so much! I ended up redoing the entire switch and shimming the jack plate a bit near the switch as the switch was touching the foil shielding in the cavity. I also had to cut down the outer contact blade on my switch as it was touching more contacts than it should. It's rockin now, and sounds fantastic.

AAT65 and moosie like this.

8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Put a layer of electrical tape on the bottom of the body between the shielding and the switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.