Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yes I am a borderline old fogey, but country music has jumped the shark.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 985plowboy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Sturgeon's Law has no exception for country music: ninety per cent of everything is crap.

But there's still the ten per cent.

And if that fails, there's always your telecaster. . . .

Felino likes this.

2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    I have been lately not listening to a lot of country stations because of the stupid "bro"country fad. I can only taken a very small amount of that. Been listening to a lot of satellite radio as a result.

Although reading some of the posts here, I.m thinking there's a lot of fans of that music here.

3. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I remember as a kid when we'd go out into the country and stop into a place where the old timers had the radio on and listening to this, that, or the other. Comparatively speaking, that was *the* definition of Country Music to me. Guys like Little Jimmy Dickens, Scruggs and Flatt, Hank Williams, and so on. Sort of raw, unadulterated, traditional. The stuff of today is very processed and generic, if you ask me.

And this is coming from a guy who absolutely hates Country Music.

4. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    my niece and all her friends are FGL nuts.
    she insists that they are country.
    I told her I wouldn't let em wash my truck!

Shes not talking to me right now.

bazmusicman and Felino like this.

5. alathIN

alathIN TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    I lived in Nashville through the 90s.
    The musicians there played a completely different brand of music in their own homes and venues than they did "at work."
    The "at work" music was what went on the radio and the records.
    The real stuff that they played on their own time was very, very good.
    Probably the same thing going on today.

Felino likes this.

6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    5 years ago? You must've seen a lot of shark jumping.

7. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    You do realize that there's out there that think the same thing happened between 1950 and 1975, right?

Anything recorded no longer dies.

brookdalebill likes this.

8. matrix

matrix TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    There are two pretty valid points in this thread....as a lot have pointed out, there is GREAT country music being made if you look for it. But what gets on the "country music" radio stations is pretty objectively bad.

If I may present a two video thesis to support the latter point...If you have not seen Bo Burnham's country song, you really owe it to yourself:

And Jim Lil put out a great, respectful, and insightful video on a very specific aspect of what is making country radio unbearable right now:

9. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2009
    Centereach NY
    I cannot stand Bro Country. It's all Johnny Cash and Emmylou Harris on steroids...fake cowboy hats...all flash/fluff and no soul or substance. And country rap?!? What an abomination. Am from the Bronx and I can guarantee you that no one on Sedgwick Avenue was trying to incorporate country ideas into the music of the projects. It doesn't have to be all tears and beers, that can get all maudlin and syrupy sentimental in a hurry too, but at the same I don't get off on worshiping my vehicles or in being a cartoon character of an American either. Americana and alt-country have kept things much more real and remain my go-to for all things country even if they do bring in rock elements...thank you Steve Earle!!

10. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe. That's like saying Latin isn't dead. How many people do you know that speak Latin?

11. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The first video really nails it. In a period of less than a year, I realized I was hearing about trucks, girls in short shorts, dirt roads, and ice cold beer, over and over. Not just beer, or cold beer, but ice cold beer in song after song. I can't recall ever hearing such specific thematic repetition ever in music.

There were other themes or ideas that were used ad nauseum, that I've forgotten, although I think that comedian included some of them. It just seems like it is spoon feeding an audience based on the idea that they are utterly stupid, and that their wants desires and motivations are completely base and transparent. If this is true, then it is music intended for the intellectually disinclined.

We live in the age of Kardashians, Paris Hilton (famous because you're rich) and Honey Boo-Boo. So there is that.

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I know some, actually. The really dead language is Old English.

13. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    If you haven't listened to KEXP in Seattle (they have an app and web streaming) give it a shot. At 9est every night there is a different show. Sunday is rap, Monday is Latin, Tuesday is world pop, Wednesday is blues & American roots, Thursday is country, Friday is rockabilly, Saturday is punk.

They play a mix of everything throughout the day but mostly alternative stuff. Hardly any "major" artists and rarely anything you'd hear on normal radio.

14. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    That's extremely rare. As in a fraction of a percent, at best. If it were still an actual active language, the sciences wouldn't be using it. But that's another thread.

ukepicker likes this.

15. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    speaking about metal I discovered that I get a ringing in my head when I flick the plate on the side of my head!

16. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    5 that I know of. There may be more.

Only 3 there.

As for sciences using it, seek out and read Uncleftish Beholding by Poul Anderson, who attempted to explain nuclear physics using no Latin-derived words (leaving only the Anglo-Saxon stuff).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.