Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yes I am a borderline old fogey, but country music has jumped the shark.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 985plowboy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Did Garth Brooks really change anything as far as the direction of country music though, or did he just capitalize on it? I tend to lump Garth (especially early on) with Brooks & Dunn, Billy Ray Cyrus, and the rise of whatever weird subgenre of honky-tonk or line dance music was en vogue at the time. Garth was arguably the most successful of those acts, but I have a hard time seeing him as a game-changer of the same caliber that we saw with Florida/Georgia Line's Cruise. Talk about a line of demarcation there!

2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Saw them open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers several months back. It was, erm, interesting.

3. DrBlast

DrBlast TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Washington
    I've noticed country music got worse in direct proportion to the lead vocal accents getting thicker. Now it has reached the inevitable musical conclusion and sounds like REO Speedwagon with a fake southern drawl.

Brad Paisley is damn good though.

985plowboy likes this.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Country and Western. They are from the Western branch or people who grow up w it. There
    People aren t interested simpley because they aren t hearing it. I caught Heart "Theme Dreams" tour first and last show . These Dreams, What about Love, Never, the audience sat there bored ,the first show . They went crazy the last .They had heard them. Corporate music is always looking for new crap they can push, but NEW is the key. "The choice of a new generation."

Toto'sDad likes this.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

That was a veiled reference to the 64 year old who was picking them off with automatic weapons.

I'm just not in the mood to criticize this genre right now. I don't know why some people like certain bands, but they deserve to live their lives in peace.

LeicaBoss likes this.

6. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    I love son volt and they are still kicking but Trace came out in 1995.

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I don't know if he was a game changer. I certainly didn't imply that. However, I remember people complaining about how commercial he was, and that he was blending too much rock and roll into his act. People also complained about Steve Earle.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You make my argument for me. The reason people don't listen is because there hasn't been anyone pushing it, ergo, the right people don't think it's worth investing in. None of this affects the world in any way, something people WIIL listen to is all that matters, and it is GOING to change no matter what it is today. We can't have melancholy without squishing the melons! :lol:

9. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Fair enough. Once you start down the rabbit hole on the internet similar artists get lumped together (stylistically, or label mates etc), making it easier to find music you like. Spotify helps too. Here are some folks I like:

Kelsey Waldon. An up and comer. Kentucky gal now in Nashville. She's got a great band (Brett R on steel and Mike K on tele).

The Country Side of Harmonic Sam. Sam is a great vocalist and harmonica player. This is his country project (he also has a blues project). Amazing 50s/60s country.

Chris Scruggs. Catch him with Marty S or every sunday night in Nashville:

Roy Sludge (with Duke Levine on Tele):

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    RomanS likes this.

10. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    And some more:

Kenny Vaughan's album, "V"

Cale Tyson:

Margo Price:

McGlamRock likes this.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Hey, I love the internet. However, it does give every member of the Cult of the Dissatisfied a forum for airing their particular grumps to an appreciative audience.

Kingpin, Toto'sDad and 985plowboy like this.

12. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    You said a mouthful there, beninma! A caricature!

13. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK.
    If you want to see/hear country as it still should be, give Dale Watson a look up.

RomanS likes this.

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I graduated high school in 1986. To me the biggest thing in country music during that time frame was the group Alabama. I remember a few years later when Clint Black, Alan Jackson and a few other guys hit the radio. I also remember Garth. His debut was much too young to feel this damn old and it was alright. He kind of became a big thing with friends in low places and then his persona lost me. If you don't understand, look up the video for his tune the red stroke.
    At one point he and Shania Twain were what I considered to be the worst thing on the radio. I was happy when the each went away.

15. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    This reminds me of when my parents complained about the music I listened to. They said they don't make em' like they used to anymore.... Now I am complaining about the music my nephews are listening to and saying the same thing... Boots and a hat don't make you country... I honestly think it's just a circle of life thing.

roknfnrol likes this.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The internet is like a poison that's bottled as a medication, at first you take just a little, then a little more, and finally, you just drink out of the bottle. We as people of the earth will have to learn to handle having more information thrown at us all day long than we can possibly process. It will take time, but in the end, people will learn to handle it. They really aren't doing all that well right now. You see young people who show all the signs of Alzheimer's, I personally think it's just from having a barrage of information thrown at 'em ever day and they haven't yet learned to process it. The ax grinding? It's nothing new, people just have a bigger audience now. A buddy of mine is known to all of us who know him, as being the sickest man in the world. In truth, it would take being run over by freight train twice to do him in, but to hear him tell it...

17. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    RCA in Nashville killed country when they started adding strings to everything back in the '60s.
    There was a major producer guy who foisted this elevator-music cross-over crap on an unsuspecting public, but I seem to forget his name at the moment.
    Thoughts?

18. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, but that's why the Bakersfield sound is so good, right?

RomanS likes this.

19. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Huh?

20. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2015
    O'Fallon, Mo
    I just turned 33, and I stopped listening to commercial country radio like a decade ago. Got to be highly formulaic (we've all seen the video of like 8 songs stacked on top of each other), plus highly repetitive (It was where I was hearing the same songs on about an hour loop). The good stuff is getting ignored, while crap is rammed down throats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.