Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yes I am a borderline old fogey, but country music has jumped the shark.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 985plowboy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Techno, huh? Like instrumental electronic music for raves?

Which stations are playing techno where you live?

Coprorate pop? Like normal run of the mill pop but with an HR department and business attire? Pop with a CEO?

What is this, the 90s?

I haven't really felt a record companies presence in about a decade to be honest.

That's about when I stopped listening to the radio and buying music made by popular artists.

When I do turn it on, it still has good and bad songs on every station and way too many commercials and absolutely no techno or corporate pop that I can find.

Just the usual songs about breaking up and having fun and finding yourself and the same tired old cliches we all connect with on some level. Aesthetically I hear a lot more in what I'd call the bubble gum diva pop (Taylor Swift) category making its way onto the airwaves.

Business as usual. Pretty young people and short catchy songs. Same formula they've been using since 1962.

Am I missing something?

2. JL_LI

JL_LI TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    What are you listnin' to strikes a chord with me. I don't know that it's been released commercially but you can definitely find it on YouTube.

3. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    There's plenty of good music being produced today, and plenty of crap just like there always has been. Ohio express is just as distasteful to me as Bieber.

Thankfully most of the crap gets forgotten!

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Corporate Pop = Guy finds a good looking teen singer who may or may not be able to sing well. Recording engineers create pop songs that all sound the same and they are farmed out by producers to which mimbo or bimbo they think will make the most money with it. Pop star goes on tour wearing skimpy costume, sings along to a backing track, and dancers and costume changes distract from the fact that the singer can't sing and that there are no actual musicians playing music. Teeny boppers love it, and execs make a lot of money. Actual musicians, people who create music with an instrument, are left out of the equation. Lots of stations play this crap in my area.

Examples: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Bruno Mars, Britney Spears, Katy Perry. Rihanna, Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift.

Techno - I'll admit there isn't much on the radio, I know of only one station that plays it as the main thing, but it's hugely popular here in the Sacramento area. I would guess there's a scene in every major US city too - raves and DJs.

Examples: Deadmou5, Skillrex, Calvin Harris. Southern California is full of dance clubs and semi-famous DJs. Again, no instrument required.

Other than that our stations have Pop Country, Classic Rock (which seems to mostly be Journey and Def Leppard), and Rap.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    RomanS, Teleterr and songtalk like this.

5. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    So, was there this much backlash in the 1980's when country swung to uberpop then?

6. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    Outside of old timey bluegrass like The Stanley Brothers, Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe, I find that I only really like fake country... i.e. Country done by guys that took acid and smoked grass like the original Burrito Brothers, the Dead, Clarence White and newgrass guys like Keith, Grisman etc

The real McCoy is just too corny to me, even though I think so many of the musicians are amazing players ... I'm decidedly a Yankee

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    They use to have country in N.E. My parents were from western Mass. and I now realize that most of the songs they use to sing around the house when I was little were old country songs. We didn t have a record player till I was 10. By then they were into Dean Martin, so no country albums, altho actually over half of Dean's album cuts are country.

8. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    I live in CT and concur, this is correct. They are selling a cartoon of a country yokel caricature and the people up here that like it eat it up ... I've seen girls from places like Waterbury and New Haven with stickers on their cars that say "Country Girl"...

Teleterr likes this.

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    That was part of my thing asking about the accent.

When I graduated from college I moved to Nashua, NH for a while. I remember calling a cab for a ride out to the area where the bars were. The cab driver as a woman about my age, she starts telling me she's saving money to move to Nashville to try and be a country music singer.

She starts singing and immediately she's got that fake southern accent. I lived in VA as a kid and have relatives in NC and have traveled through quite a few other southern states. That singing style is not an authentic southern accent AFAICT, and here is this woman who has lived in NH her whole life and has trained herself to sound like that when singing.

Even if there are people like Dolly Parton who legitimately sound like that back in the day I don't think these modern artists naturally sound like that, it's some created thing.

Taylor Swift had it and then turned it off when she turned towards Pop. Hers wasn't that strong but she definitely sounded like someone trained her to put on that accent.

There's definitely a male version too... the Truck Yah guy is an example of someone I think sounds like he's got the fake/learned accent.

There were some accents/vocal sounds in alternative rock over the past 20 years that I thought were just as laughable. Guys like Creed, Nickleback, etc.. sounded to me like they had a fake raspy voice that was a computer effect. Same kind of thing. They sounded super phony too.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    To be fair, country isn't alone in helping people imagine a different identity for themselves. I could easily make some comparisons that might hit a little too close to home for TDPRI posters. That's just a part of music and goes for me as much as for anybody.

JL_LI and ndcaster like this.

11. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    That is well said too!

12. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I guess those are fair assessments we just don't hear the skrillex or dangermaus on the radio here. Not that I mind.

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Prior to the internet, if someone had a complaint about the way things are changing they could only kvetch to their friends and family.

However, I do remember articles about New Country and how it was destroying country music.

Really, did any of the old guys here really appreciate Garth Brooks when he came on the country scene?

P Thought and Toto'sDad like this.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Generalizing, change is inevitable & many, (especially older folk, including myself) are wary...skipping labels, specifically, things like bad, cliche lyrics, less-than-average rock bands, with a ringer, country instrumentalist, pretty, auto tuned lead vocalists, packaged in typical, atire, (like cowboy hats & boots) sprinkled with trendy fragments of hip hop, rap vocals & the like, aren't my kinda country.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Well, some of us old guys did. He came on some sort of late night program on TV when he was first plugging (and still had to do the plugging thing) "Friends In Low Places." My daughter who was still at home and I watched him, and both of us went "WOW." We KNEW right then and there he was going to be not only big but a huge star. Fast forward to this summer, my daughter and her husband, drove to L.A. rented a nice room, rode a uber car to the Garth concert there, and rode back to their room. She's still talking about what a show it was!

BTW, he proposed to his "present" wife right here in Bakersfield on stage at the Crystal Palace.

16. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I hear old guys younger than I am piss and moan about the NEW country everyday. George Jones was barely able to play enough guitar to accompany himself. Merle really didn't become a guitar player until his later years. Oh I know he could take some breaks, but he learned a whole lot just before the end from teaching Benny to play, and then Benny became the master and Merle became the pupal. They were both made the better for it all. Having said that, almost all of the old players couldn't standing on the grand mother's shoulders kiss Brad Paisley's rear end when it comes to playing. (or for that matter a bunch of the famous rock and rollers) Before you point out Glenn Campbell and Jerry Reed, they weren't old country either.

How about Brent Mason, any 50's or 60's guys ever have the ability to take on his guitar slinging and not lie dead in the street afterwards? Progress in the way of life, everything changes. There's not many left that want to hunch over a beer in some dingy barroom, and cry and moan about unrequited love while George Jones sings "He Stopped Loving Her Today" on the Juke box. Do they even have Juke Boxes anymore? Nah, the past is dead and gone, long live the now, and the future!

17. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The reason it's not on the radio, is not enough people are interested in it. Simple fact, play music that people won't tune if for, you go out of business. People have the cart on the wrong end of the horse. The reason people listen to the stuff that's on the radio now is not because of some insidious bunch of social planners, it's because they want to listen to the stuff that's current. No great mystery here. How about throwing out your big screen you watch Monday Night Football on and watching it on a 17 inch black and white with rabbit ears setting on top of it?

18. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Not genre really dies, and especially not with the internet these days. There's still people out there playing (and writing) ragtime, etc.

Teleterr likes this.

19. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    I knew it all along. Metal is for little girls

20. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I missed something in my first reply. The internet? Would I as an old guy want to live pre internet? Sure, if I didn't know about it. But just like the stuff in Pandora's box, it's out there now. Maybe the internet let all the evil out, and hid the good, but then again, look at all the great things you can do with it. I don't really need a brain anymore, I can look up the answer to about anything I want to know right in the palm of my hand. I'm too old to read up on a fraction of the things I can find on the internet. Unless one of the world ends predictions come true, I don't have to worry about it, the answers will be at the tip of my fingers, I only need enough brains to be able to ask the question.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.