Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yes I am a borderline old fogey, but country music has jumped the shark.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 985plowboy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I've been an old fogey since I was 10 years old and preferred the Country Gold radio station over the modern country station. When I got into high school, the Country Gold station changed formats to classic rock, but we got a brand new outlaw or alt-country station, while another new country station popped up and played nothing but deep cuts and up-and-coming acts. Then NASH fm happened and both of those stations became nationally syndicated uberpop country.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, and my rural neighbors listen to Gospel, Bluegrass, Stringband, Waylon Jennings, pre 1980s rock and more Gospel.

But right now is not a good time to pick on middle class, suburban aged 20-30 something women. Music is beautiful - people who make music are our friends. No more divisions.

ukepicker likes this.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

thats not all that helpful, to be honest. There is so much music out there, its a full time job to wade thru all the stuff you hate, to find what you like. Few people have the time to search like that.

Why dont some of you post some youtube clips of new country that you like?

Toto'sDad and Telescience like this.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I never did understand the reason for the "alt" label

yes it's an alternative to corporate country, and yes it's politics are leftwards

but corporate country isn't really country music, so there's no need for the "alt"

maybe I'm crazy, but I think of music as good and bad, and beyond that, as country, suburban, or urban

5. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2011
    Arkansas

Check out Cody Jinks, Ward Davis and Whitey Morgan. These 3 are keeping the honky tonk outlaw vibe going.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Ahh-Ha! Someone else noticed, kinda very hard rock now. Some great singers, and certainly musicians in the C&W World though!

7. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    to the OP - heres two of my favorites if you havent heard of these guys:

and

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    The classic country era had a lot of junk in it too. People hated the chet atkins "countrypolitan sound:" some of that stuff is great. To my mind, country music went bad when it lost touch wth the swing feel

I just joined a local band doing a lot of "alt.country" stuff. Like Joe Ely/flatlanders, Son Volt, Maybe Jason Isbell: you could put Steve Earle in there. Lots of good songs in there, lots of the ghost of Hank and Merle and George Jones. No stadium rock plasticity, no cowboy hat and boot phoniness.

Doesn't tend to have the swing, but the soul is there

985plowboy likes this.

9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Meh. I would not consider myself a big fan of country music by any stretch, but I'd imagine it's a parallel path to rock. There's still a lot of good new stuff/artists out there, but you can't rely on the radio to bring it to you - gotta look a little harder.

10. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I am happy to see all you folks chiming in. I especially appreciate the suggestions and video links.. Still doubt we hear many of them on the mainstream FM radio.

I have a buddy who lives in Austin. He says they have a good local station I can live stream. I'll ask what it is and get back to y'all on it.

11. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I like seeing these lists from everyone here... I always hated country growing up in an area that has absolutely 0 exposure to "real" country. (New England) I have more of an appreciation of it all since I started playing. I feel like I run into a lot of New Englanders that are trying to put on some fake country airs.

The pop country is strong here, and it's horrible. My wife is into that stuff. Zac Brown, Florida Georgia Line, Rascall Flats, Big & Rich, etc..

I let her put on the Country Top 40 Sunday in the car. I was thinking that they must have an auto-tune effect for the way EVERY singer has that same accent, so damn obnoxious. And that they are processing the voices so they sound like a Tele ice pick effect. I've gotta think someone like Cash or Willy couldn't break into country music today because they don't have that particular accented singing style. Even though they both have such unique and amazing voices compared to pop country.

What do you do if you live out in the country and you don't drive a pickup truck or you don't like Fishin, Nascar, hunting, etc.. I get the impression from pop country you gotta be into all of that stuff. It's a caricature. I guess sometimes they take a break and sing songs that sound like ads for big liquor brands too.

I do like the majority of stuff that gets suggested here, or by my guitar teacher. (E.x. Marty Stuart, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, etc..)

Telescience likes this.

12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Yeah man! Windfall is a jam.

13. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    I don't know it it is picking on 'em. There is a certain business reality that is fair game to discuss. An earlier poster hit the nail on the head... Once a genre starts making loads of cash with a certain demographic, the money makes the popular side of the genre change. More of an observation than a value judgement.

Some people will like it, others won't. For the latter, you just have to look outside of popular/corporate music to find great talent.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    speaking of Austin, they've got Mike and the Moonpies

solid

there's also Brent Cobb

as soon as you let got of looking for quality in what's popular, the landscape looks different

Telescience likes this.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    max, I wouldn't have guessed you'd join a band doing Son Volt! should be fun, best of luck

16. JL_LI

JL_LI TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Country music is still alive. While some of it has evolved into another form commercial pop, troubadors are still out there telling great stories set to song. Give Zane Williams a listen. He's young, modern, and he's country and his songs tell stories that need to be told. Jason Isbell is another. Brothers Osborn is country with some very impressive guitar work. If you listen to acoustic versions of some of what has evolved into pop you'll find the country feeling often returns. We're all players here. Keep playing what you love and it won't die.

brbadg and ndcaster like this.

17. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    One of my blessings is that I live in Texas, which has a lot of deep-rooted traditions that
    will probably never go away completely. Dance hall Western Swing, Texas Shuffles, and the singer-songwriter,
    story telling thing can still be found here somewhat easily. Good music is still out there, it just takes
    more of an effort to find it these days.

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    that Zane Williams is a marvel

isn't he the guy who takes words from readers on youtube and works them all into a song?

wizard writer

ukepicker likes this.

19. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'm gonna try to nudge it into a little bit of a soul music direction. Country and soul have a lot of common ground!

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    yep, witness Chris Stapleton

JL_LI likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.