Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yes I am a borderline old fogey, but country music has jumped the shark.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 985plowboy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    I'm old, but I'm not senile. I truthfully cannot tell any of these new acts from one another. The, guys all look alike, sound alike, sing about the same thing and are unoriginal. Even some of the "older" ones, but still newer to me like Rascal Flats, I just can't stand. And I don't even want to get started on Florida Georgia Line.

nojazzhere likes this.

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    To paraphrase Frank Zappa, country music isn't dead; it just smells funny.

There is a lot of great country music being made these days. Marty Stuart's latest record is amazing. Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. Kacey Musgraves. Dale Watson. Hayes Carll. Vince Gill is still out there making music and playing killer guiter. There are a lot of people carrying the torch for traditional country music. You just have to search them out.

brbadg, RomanS, J Hog and 1 other person like this.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    NOW THAT IS WELL SAID ^^^
    I agree 100%

brookdalebill likes this.

4. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Country totally blows now; just a bunch of songs about tailgating. But there is Sturgill Simpson, Margo Price, Jason Isbell out there. Personally I’ve been listening to “alt -country “ for 20 odd years. Bands like Son Volt and Whiskeytown. That’s where it’s at. Mainstream music started sucking around the early to mid 90’s. I’m 43 and I grew up on Waylon and Willie as well. You have to look hard for good new music but it is out there.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I disagree.

Country music is all over the place where I live. Anecdote: yesterday after work I drove to a vet appointment, barn country, and at every four-way stop, everyone's windows were down for the fine fall weather, and it was country music in every car and truck.

Look, Bill's right that the cultural chessboard that produced Merle, Buck, Willie, and all the rest has changed profoundly. Less rural, more diverse, rock and roll in its past, hip hop prevalent, etc. Things change. But a really old guy once told me as he looked back on his near-century of life, "watch what endures." And what I see enduring, among other things, is country music.

We have a tendency to think culture is just whatever is in the mediasphere at the time. I would argue that it's not. Cultures are living things like gardens. In a real culture, things are cultivated, bred, nurtured, carried across generations. A mediasphere is just a snapshot of the advertising signs in Times Square. A culture is the living reality that *produces* signs. "Consumer culture" isn't a culture. Producer culture is.

And if you ever visit sites like "Saving Country Music," you know that there are plenty of young people out there who are still producing real country music. That garden is still going strong. Along with Marty Stuart, I'd point to Tyler Childers, Sam Outlaw, and Zephaniah O'Hora for starters. They're not hipsters just striking a pose: they love the tradition too deeply and sincerely.

The problem is that all the country music you hear on the radio is hydroponic GMO stuff grown in big hot-houses in the "music industry." THAT sure looks and sounds dead to me because, like Frankenstein, it's just grabbing body parts and sticking them together, hoping that it'll sell. And it does sell (as much as anything "sells" these days when music sales are down across the board.) But it's taking a consumer-like I'll take a bit of this and that approach to producing music, which to me feels like copping out.

This is getting too long. I agree with Bill that things have changed, but I'm too much of a third down run it up the middle guy to say "it's time to move on." Just keep moving the ball forward. Some things are worth doing not because they sell, but just because they're worth doing.

ac15, Matt G and ukepicker like this.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Large parts of the US are still rural. Just sayin'

7. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Understand that what I'm about to say come from the bottom of my rock and roll loving heart: Maybe it's not that country music suddenly stinks, but maybe your tastes are finally improving... lol ::ducks::

nojazzhere likes this.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The real reason that country music kept evolving until it is no longer recognizable to old people is, the times they are a changing. We went to a Mark Wills concert a while back and a guy came out to do the massaging and warm up thing. He was singing songs he had written about Okies, pain, and hard times. He was actually pretty good, but there were two problems with his act. One, Hank, Merle and George already took care of that genre for us. (and a lot better I might add). The second problem with his act was, the folks in the audience were raised on BMWs and Cell phones, and high tech. They don't give a **** about hard times, and unrequited love is something they have lawyers for. Hard times for them is when you're over your limit on Data and you're trying to text your buddy a pic of your new Gibson 335. I think even the warm up guy was thankful when Mark came out and took the stage, I know the rest of us were, and I'm old enough to have heard Hank singing NEW songs on the radio!

ac15, nojazzhere and sonicsmitty like this.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    I don't hear anything dead here neither do I smell anything funny

funny that I can discover these artists while I am living in a country were country music is virtually non existent and you ,living in the US, can't.

Matt G, brbadg and RomanS like this.

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    When I was a kid, my dad listened to a lot of country music. It all sounded the same to me. The ones that I remember are Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, and Jeannie C. Riley. Just awful nasally songs about whiny topics.
    I hear a lot of sameness in current country. Songs about "being country" and driving trucks. What is it about country music that makes them write so many songs defending being "country"?

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    "The Bakersfield sound, and later outlaw country, dominated country music among aficionados while countrypolitan reigned on the pop charts.

Upon being asked what the Nashville sound was, Chet Atkins would put his hand into his pocket, shake his loose change, and say "That's what it is. It's the sound of money" "

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    those are industry songs, they're written as if they were bottles of shampoo

Telescience likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

There are country songs that mention listening to country songs. I allus wanted one, in the chorus, to have the sounds of someone tuning into a radio station on a tinny radio ... to this very song ... then have that effect expand to become the song itself. Mirrors in mirrors!

Boomhauer likes this.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Considering the evilution of today's country music...There's no country for old men

IMG_1918.JPG

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    feels pretty alive here:

and here:

and here:

16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I listen to the Sat. night classic country show on NPR. I love the top 10 from from a year between WWII and Watergate. Also there a section where he plays new artists playing traditional country. Through out its history Country has always had non-country elements. "Honey" hit number one. Not country. In the 70s WDSD the truckers favorite, had a song called "Double S", disco beat. Even back in the fifties you d get songs that came from other music genre... But, yeah its now just sounds like southern rock gone corporate.

17. BigDaddyLH

Pshaw!

[​IMG]

crossroader and Frank'n'censed like this.

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

Allen Lanier of Blue Oyster Cult once told me the same thing. "Agents of Fortune was the first album we made that girls bought. Girls buy a LOT of albums. Once you sell to girls, thats it, the record company expects you to keep doing that".

I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that. Same thing applies to modern country. If girls are buying it, they're buying a metric buttload of it, and heres the important part... the industry is NOT going to change something that is bringing in a metric buttload of cash.

Makes it harder for guys like Hank III but thats just how it is now.

LeicaBoss and ndcaster like this.

19. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    There's plenty of good country, it's not on the radio. Just try harder.

20. BigDaddyLH

NPR just can't let it go! :mad:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.