Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yellowed Binding

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by LowNote, Aug 16, 2017.

1. LowNote

LowNote Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    Moreno Valley, CA.
    A friend brought a 1969 M75 Guild to have refinished. I know I tried to talk him out of it but he wants to anyway. I have it sanded down to the wood but some of the binding has yellowed. I'm afraid of sanding and scraping more and making the binding any thinner. Is there anything I can do to get the binding back to white. I did try bleach with no affect.

LowNote

Attached Files:

2. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    If i were refinishing that guitar i'd be worried about finding ways to preserve the patina on that binding. I do honestly hate when people say "no don't do that" in response to questions here, so i apologize but maybe you should consider that some history of the vintage guitar should be respected and left untouched if possible.

xafinity and hotpot like this.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA

Using a cabinet scraper is the only recommended method of removing thickness from binding. Sanding is far too inconsistent. A cabinet scraper is a very precise and simple tool when the edge is well-formed and it's used properly.

Bleach won't touch it. Plastics do not bleach out.

4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    What he said - look at that see-through shaving.
    IMG_3369.JPG
    You can get by with a box cutter blade with a fine burr rolled onto the edge if you don't have a scraper.

Cheers,
    Rex

brogh likes this.

5. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    i want to see that body !! wow what a nice grain it has !!

6. LowNote

LowNote Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    Moreno Valley, CA.
    The cabinet scraper was the main tool I used. Looks like I will have to leave the patina. I did let the owner know about the binding. DSCN3351.JPG

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.