Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Year of MIJ Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twobobstunes, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Twobobstunes

Twobobstunes TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Ohio
    After quite a few years of asking, I was finally able to get my friend to come off this 69 Thinline Telecaster reissue. 20171003_163557.jpg The serial on the bridge comes up as 85-86. I had always assumed it was an early to mid 90s reissue like a couple of MIJ Stratocasters I have. I was wandering if it is in fact 85-86.

gtrwrks likes this.

2. titan uranus

titan uranus TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617

3. Twobobstunes

Mar 29, 2017
    Ohio
    Yes, he was told it was a 92 or something when he bought it in 94. I just want to make sure what I found was right.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

4. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    As has been posted a thousand times, the A-serial-number bridge place isn't useful for dating. Those were used for many years, on both MIJ and CIJ Fenders.

If you don't have a serial number elsewhere (neck usually) or a date written on the butt-end of the neck, there's no way to identify the date it the parts were made. Certainly there's no way to know if it is or isn't an '85. I would check: was that model even available in '85?

5. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    To be clear, the "thousand times" bit wasn't directed at you. I am just clarifying that I'm not exactly breaking news with that info.

Twobobstunes likes this.

6. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    That's right. From 1985 to 2006, to be precise, on most Re-issue MIJ/CIJ Teles (TL52, TL62, TL69, TL71, JD, etc).

If it just says: "Made In Japan" at the base of the neck, with no serial number below, I'd take the neck off and check for a date on this Thinline.

7. Twobobstunes

Mar 29, 2017
    Ohio
    I'll probably pop the neck off next time I change the strings.

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Nice guitar
    I've owned a few MIJ strats over the years, but never a tele. Held one once, passed on it, went back for it but it was gone. Wasn't meant to be I guess.
    But, I digress...yes; dating these instruments can be imprecise.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Be forewarned though if you have never seen a date written on the end of a made in Japan neck.

They can be extremely small and lightly written.

I had a Sunburst Japanese 50s Tele of some kind ( never tried to get fluent in their codes ) and if you didn't use a magnifying glass and a lamp it was really hard to see.

Twobobstunes likes this.

10. Twobobstunes

Mar 29, 2017
    Ohio
    I'm going to have to check again next string change.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.