Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yawn... Just another P90 Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tschommer, Dec 14, 2008.

1. mrothacker

mrothacker Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2008
    Asheville
    Very nice ! How does it sound ? How about some audio clips?

2. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    Love it! Don't put a guard on it. I was just lamenting on another thread how I haven't been able to find a good lefty p90 guitar. More and more it seems this is the way to go.

3. axmaker

axmaker Tele-Holic

Mar 29, 2008
    Oakley, CA
    yeah same here, no yawning. i likey.[​IMG]

4. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

May 11, 2006
    Suffolk, England
    It's nice to see something different that isn't over the top or garish. It looks very stylish IMO :cool:

5. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Wonder what Ron K would say

I know he has a ton more experience than most of us new-bee guitar makers. ;)

I like the body relief idea and your implementation and I'd like to incorporate this into a build at some point.

Now as far as Ron's experience goes; I wonder how far and with which woods pushing this would be effective with out breaching compromise in wood stability and structure/strength etc.

6. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

Oct 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    That's a Super-Sweety......................Nice Job

7. pick & 2 fingers

pick & 2 fingers Tele-Meister

Jul 3, 2006
    Jeff City Mo
    That is really sharp!!
    I'm not a fan of green guitars & was expecting to think "eww", but that is purty. That almost looks gray.

Off topic question.....does a P90 get twangy? Never played a guit w/them in it.

8. ptfreak

ptfreak Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2005
    Holmsund, Sweden
    Yep, go ahead and put on that pickguard, or any suitable pg, but those "half guards" are nice.
    It looks a little too naked without it, and the tortoise really brings the guitar to life visually speaking.

J

9. CHAZ2

CHAZ2 Tele-Meister

May 2, 2008
    UK
    That is really nice.....love the colours, love the forearm cut....my Tele gives me a real sore forearm after playing for a while....really nice job......no yawning here either

10. RichardM

RichardM Tele-Holic

May 3, 2007
    Ocean View near Bris Aust
    Love it!

I'm in the middle of a P90 build myself, and was thinking about a cut-down Wilkinson bridge, I was also considering a no pickguard look.

You've convinced me on both counts.

Well done that man!

11. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Mar 4, 2008
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    That's what I'm talking about...

After I put a p90 in the neck of my first build this fall I was thinking for my first scratch body build I wanted a dual p90. I just got a squier custom II on the cheap and hoped that would get me by until I get the chance to build. Now that I see your build...WOW... that next build might start sooner than I had planned.
    Love the cutdown wilkinson...might be stealin' that idea myself...

REALLY nice job, no need for any appologies or qualifiers on this one

12. tschommer

tschommer Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Thanks!

Thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement guys! I even appreciate some of the pickguard suggestions, but I am sticking to my original design. I really like the simple clean design as it is. In my last couple of builds I have done 2D renderings in Adobe Illustrator and I like sticking to my original plans. The skull knobs are the only unplanned element (other than the cutaway). I felt that they actually fit the guitar pretty well in the end, just because there are other contradictions in the guitar design.

[​IMG]

13. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

hey tschommer. Nice work here. I really like the color. It's a little different and it looks good with no guard on it.

The shot of the back floored me. Nice! And then I read that this was a save from a small mistake. Way to go.

14. mobman924

mobman924 TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Weatherford, Oklahoma
    Love the Tortoise!

15. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    that's a beauty. How would a mint green partial PG look?

16. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky

17. tschommer

tschommer Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Thanks!! I like the kind of mistakes that make you think. I was bummed out for a bit, but after I remembered Jeff Millers Tele build with the cool sculpted heel, I got even more excited about the project. The sculpted heel is a really great improvement to the overall playability, and I think it looks pretty cool as well.

18. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

I thought that Jeff Miller's name seemed familiar so I checked out the link that you posted. I had been on his site a while ago looking at his work installing Variax electronics in a Strat body. He does great work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.