Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yawn... Just another P90 Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tschommer, Dec 14, 2008.

1. tschommer

tschommer Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2003
    Minneapolis
    I just thought I would post a few pictures of my new P90 Telecaster, it's the first time that I have built a body from scratch.

I bought the body blank and a set of Telecaster templates off of eBay a few years ago, and they have just been sitting around unused in my basement. I guess I had just been waiting for some inspiration to do my first scratch body build. Well, I started to get the itch after seeing all of the cool P90 Telecaster threads popping up here lately. Then a few months ago a strangely colored green wood base showed up on my desk that was in need of a screen printed logo. I then asked the production manager if he could get some into from the customer on it, as using it for a guitar finish immediately popped into my head, a few days later a full can of the stuff magically appeared on my desk.

And then a few weeks later I had a new guitar! I'm really happy with the end result, the color seems really unusual for a guitar. It's kind of funky and restrained at the same time.

I apologize in advance to anyone who is offended by 1/4" edge round overs, sculpted neck heels, non-traditional pickup configurations, and forearm and tummy cuts. :D

A few details / specs:

1. Green alder Telecaster body with Strat forearm and back contours.

2. Chrome Hardware (yes those are skull knobs)

3. Cream GFS P90 Pickups

4. Wilkinson Tele Bridge with Compensated Brass Saddles, With the Baseplate Cut Down like the GE Smith Signature Tele.

5. Neck Mounted with Ferrules and a Contoured Heel. (This came about as the result of a mistake on my part)

6. Suicide Switchplate w/ A 4-way Switch for Standard Tele Options + a Series Option and a Mini Toggle to Bypass the Volume and Tone for a Full on Bridge Tone.

7. For the Neck I'm just going with a Mitey Mite Maple Tele Neck that I had Laying around. I figured if the build went well and the guitar sounded great, I would order a nice Warmoth neck at some future date. Although the neck seems pretty good, I think I will be keeping an eye on the Warmoth showcase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RatherBeFishing

RatherBeFishing Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2008
    where the trout are
    That is really cool looking and quite unique. I especially like the knobs and cut out on the back of the neck pocket.

3. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    Hampton, Va
    No Yawning here, It's a beaut!! I think I'll post my Epi Lp Jr that I converted from a single humbucker and wrap around tail piece to a 2 P90 job with a standard Gibson Bridge and tail piece. Actually a real nice player now and tone for days:)

4. TheDev01dOne

TheDev01dOne Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2007
    Wollongong, Australia
    Great looking build. Nice and simple yet unique. I love the bypass switch idea.

Not too sure about the skull knobs though. Great first build though, what's #2 gonna be like?

5. Giant

Giant Tele-Meister

looks great. i really like the neck heel like that. mistake maybe, but it worked out well. thats really the only downside to my tele is the giant wood block at the heel. im sure it helps contribute to the great tone of the guitar, but from a playing standpoint...blah blah....
    sorry. guitar looks great. and i like the softened edges. the woodworking looks great overall. good job.

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Obvious skill set in play, looks great! If can ask, how thick is the wood where the neck bolts on? The pocket to the back where the bolts are I mean?

7. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    Love it. P-90s rock. Are you more of a smooth and creamy P-90 guy or a snarly, snotty P-90 guy?

No need to apologize to the narrow-minded set; there are plenty of us that don't mind when someone takes Tele in a different direction.

8. I like the look and I hope it all works out well in the long term. Nice to see the basic altered slightly. Looks great. Congratulations.

9. tschommer

tschommer Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2003
    Minneapolis
    It's only about 5/8" it seems very stable, but I probably won't know for a few years:D. The templates came with directions that I of course neglected to read. The problem came when I did a 1/4" round-over around the entire back. The directions stated to do the round-over around the neck heel by hand, because the neck plate will hang over the edges. After being bummed out for a few hours I remembered this Tele build by the great Jeff Miller from years ago and decided to steal his idea. I'm not sure if it was his original design element, but I thought it looked really cool and it certainly adds functionality/ergonomics to the build. I'm really not worried about it as long as I'm careful with it I don't foresee any problems.

http://www.guitaristjeffmiller.com/guitars4.htm

That is one pretty Telecaster that Jeff built himself there!

10. +1. That is a really nice looking quilt. Beautiful

11. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

I like it!

Here's some really bad photoshop work, but what do you think of the idea of a partial tortoise pickguard???

Attached Files:

12. RatherBeFishing

RatherBeFishing Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2008
    where the trout are
    Nah, I would go with black or an aged white myself. Possibly gold

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    +1 or just without is cool too.

Thanks for the reply on the back of the body/link BTW.

14. BeeTL

BeeTL Tele-Holic

Sep 18, 2008
    Oldsmar, FL
    Beautiful!

My next Tele will have forearm and tummy cuts as well.

:D

15. riolux

riolux Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Nice color! Everything goes great together: the contours, the edge radius, the p90's in cream, the round knobs! It looks very soft and comfy. Great build.

Edit: don't put a pickguard on it!

16. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

May 6, 2008
    Republic of Korea
    Verrrrry slick.

+5 points for an otherwise fairly ignored creamy green color scheme.

17. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Europe
    +1! Nice take with a twist on the original. I would try the partial "tortie" pickguard on it though ...

18. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    That's a beauty. Nice job.

19. B Valley

B Valley Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2008
    Glendale, Az
    The more I look at it, the more I like it. Nice job.
    I have to agree that it would look even better with a small pickguard. Someone posted a black Tele a couple of weeks ago with a pickguard that would look perfect on there. It would also protect the finish.

20. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    Very cool finish! I would be tempted to put a clear pickguard on that guitar. Subtle, yet functional. Nice job! Gatta love them P90's!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.