Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yassas from Crete!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Kriticaster, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Hi Tele-people!

I’m a noob player and member... joined because all of the best info I found on google was from this forum... so here I am...

I found a trashed tele body in a dumpster near my house and felt compelled to rebuild her and make her sound as good as possible... (that’s my profile pic... currently the before picture)

I’ve played on and off for years so I’m keen to build my own guitar and develop my playing ability... this is a new commitment!!

And I’m not from Crete, I’m a kiwi and just moved here with my Greek wife (who is also not from Crete... in fact she’s much more of a Londoner...) she’s actually a better player than me so hope she will also play the ‘Kriticaster’ when she’s been rebuilt :)

Oh in case I change my profile pic at some point here is the body at present... A0E4920A-CADC-4C6E-990A-29F94259529C.jpeg F78D2CB8-53A4-4CBF-A36D-BF6951DE4B3E.jpeg

my buddy who does a lot of work on guitars thinks she’s made from swamp ash... there is a relic stamp in the neck pickup cavity but no other indication of origin... she was black laquered previously but has been stripped back and badly sanded/abused with a wire brush... the concept is to leave the body as is and put new hardware on her... a weird homage to her past abuse...

Just need to earn some money to spend on her... good things take time!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy!
    Good luck!

Kriticaster likes this.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Welcome!

That's a nice body. I'd strip it and redo it in the same finish as the top. It's not that hard with a brush, you just need very thin layers and lots of sanding. But you can do whatever you want.

Kriticaster likes this.

4. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    looks like a fun project. you found that in a dumpster? man, some guys have all the luck!

where are you in (on?) Crete? We went there once3 for a short vacation and absolutely loved it. We stayed out on the west end at Kissamos.

Kriticaster likes this.

5. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Hi Jhundt, we were living in Kefalas (between Chania and Rethymno, on the north coast) which is where I found the body... no neck or hardware thou...

and we moved to Archanes last week, which is near Heraklion/Knossos...

we’ve been to Kissamos but didn’t feel the vibe...

There is a lot of Cretan music going on in this area, which appeals to my wife (though she is a folk singer-songwriter) but I’m more of a funk/surf/reggae guy myself... hope the tele will fit that nicely... maybe work up to some jazz if I find my mojo...

El Tele Lobo likes this.

6. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Thanks for the warm welcome peeps! It’s nice to be here :)

7. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I can understand that. Kissamos was a fun place to stay for a week. Very 'working-class' and not a big happy holiday place. Don't know if I'd want to live there. But Crete was sure beautiful.

8. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Welcome! I was there in ‘88. I remembera Club called Zorbas that we hung out in. I was never so sunburned in my life!!! Scenery on the beach was awesome!!

Kriticaster likes this.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I agree.

Give that baby a new birthday!

Kriticaster likes this.

10. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Welcome!

We are looking forward to pictures of the completed project (hint hint). :lol:

Kriticaster likes this.

11. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    If I can get anywhere near the look of your profile pic I’d be over the moon!

12. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Absolutely! Will be documented photographically for sure!

13. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    My first priority is to create a working guitar... The for it to sound good... then for it to look purdy!

I’m confident I can do step one... less so about step two... and hesitant to attempt step three...

But it’s early days and it’s about the journey... so let’s see how she goes...

What do you peeps think... Better to start a separate thread for the build/result or keep it on this one?

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Nothing like jazz on a tele...

Kriticaster likes this.

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    And welcome to the forum!

Kriticaster likes this.

16. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    The sun is super strong here in summer! Zorbas might be in Stavros on the peninsula near Chania? We haven’t been there yet... it’s quite a big island... and yes the scenery is stunning!

Living here is quite something else... my Greek is minimal, thou I understand a fair bit... they’re very friendly here but it will take time to make real friends...

We were just burned out from 20 years in London and needed a break... original idea was to go South East Asia, live cheap and avoid the winter... (ideally forever)
    but there are too many bitey bugs and tropical diseases for the wife to be happy... plus the visa situation is difficult...

So we’re about to enter a Cretan winter at 400 metres above sea level... could get chilly...

17. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I would clean her up (sand) and leave her raw for now.

Do your assembly to get her working, and THEN explore your finishing options. It's real easy pulling everything apart to paint/stain/dye a body.

And there are few things in life more satisfying than sanding a body to raw.

But leave the neck pocket alone. You don't want to oversand and risk a loose neck fit.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    El Tele Lobo likes this.

18. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Welcome aboard!

Very cool Tele.

19. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum !!

Kriticaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.