Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yanny or Laurel?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drf64, May 16, 2018.

Yanny or Laurel?

1. Yanny

31 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Laurel

58 vote(s)
    65.2%
  1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Alright - that makes sense.

What doesn’t make sense is me using any amp over 5 watts...

drf64 and william tele like this.

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    My wife says she hears an electronic-sounding but distinct "laurel".

I hear, in possibly the crappiest audio quality I've ever heard, "eealee".

Update: This morning I listened again several times, and heard "laurel" each time.

Last edited: May 17, 2018

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    It's clearly these guys after the game, bombed out of their minds and slurring their speech...

[​IMG]

YALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

radiocaster, drf64 and LutherBurger like this.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

I guess the flip side is why post links at all? Geez, buy 'em books and they chew on the covers! :(

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My wife and I were watching the news tonight and it's funny, she once again proved she's smarter than me. She heard the yanny, I hear the laurel. We replayed it, and got the same thing. Me, I'm just a dump a$$, my wife is the smart one around here. (And Toto, of course he heard yanny.)

william tele and jannodude like this.

7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Yaaa-annn-nny.

My wife heard “laurel” and I’ll check her out later, because something is obviously wrong.

8. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    WHAT??? LAUREL??? My wife said she heard "laurel" too but she's an Aussie and I always expect the oddest from them. I totally heard "yanni". Totally.

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    the real question is.... Ginger or Maryann

RoscoeElegante and Torren61 like this.

10. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Yanni

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I heard “Bob”.
    Was that not an option?

william tele likes this.

12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I can still hear the 15K sound on "Sgt. Pepper" and I heard Laurel...Seriously, if folks can t agree on an actual word no wonder theres tonewood hearers and tonewood deniers.

13. SharpDressedMan

SharpDressedMan TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Turin, Italy
    Well from my computer with earbuds I hear "Yanny" everytime, with the NYT tool I have to move it towards the 1st marker to the left to start hearing "Laurel", but if I bring it back to the middle... definitely "Yanny"

14. IgnatzMouse

IgnatzMouse TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Aug 13, 2013
    CT, USA
    I'm happy to see (hear) speech science in the news (I'm a psycholinguist and my wife is a speech researcher). My guess (I hear both) is that this is a superposition of two wave forms and that where the slider is, determines where each individual's crossover point is. I would bet that if you applied a low-pass filter to the whole signal you would only hear "Laurel," and with a high-pass filter, you would only hear "Yanny." In speech there is a well known phenomenon called "categorical perception." Generally speaking, the data come from experiments in which you ask listeners to say (for example) whether they hear a "p" or a "b" when you play them a stimulus. The only variation between stimuli is the amount of "voice onset time," (VOT) which is the amount of time between when the lips close and when the vocal folds begin to vibrate. Short VOTs are perceived as "voiced" (b, d, g) while long VOTs are perceived as "voiceless" (p, t, k). When you first create stimuli it's pretty remarkable: you record a person (or synthesizer) saying "b" (again, as an example), then just add varying amounts of silence (or zero-centered noise) to the beginning, and at some point your perception of the identity of the phoneme changes completely. However, for each person, this category boundary is different. While the phenomenon here is not identical to categorical perception, it is similar: i.e. perception is more than just the transduction of acoustic energy.

15. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    I heard Laurel, but in the tool in the first link when panned to the right side I heard "Yowie". There was no "n" sound at all, so it couldn't have been Yanny.

16. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    Same here.

17. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    at dead center I heard Lamme , at -1.25 I heard laurel and between -1.25 to 0.0 blended into a simulated autotune Lamme, possible because Laurel was a lower pitch and Yanney was a higher pitch that had a phase cancelation in the stereo field I found the bottom end started to disapate at 0.0

RoscoeElegante likes this.

18. 1293

May 18, 2006
    I watched that yesterday and heard "yammy". Today, the same clip/ same setup is laurel.

jannodude and Ira7 like this.

19. 1293

May 18, 2006

There was a piece in nyt about this. I'll post a link if I can find it

william tele, RLee77 and soulgeezer like this.

20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    The link is in Post #1.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.