Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yanny or Laurel?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drf64, May 16, 2018.

Yanny or Laurel?

1. Yanny

31 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Laurel

58 vote(s)
    65.2%
  1. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    I heard laurel. Then I played this for people in my office today and 8 people all heard yanni. I thought something might be wrong with me. Then the office weirdo (not me) heard laurel, and I felt even worse. Then I read that it's supposed to be from vocabulary.com originally- and a crappy recording with high frequency overtones which are tricking the yanni faction to hear that. Great article where you can lower the pitch if you hear laurel and eventually it becomes something like "yelly". Strange indeed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/science/yanny-laurel.html

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

Great googly moogly, so many have the need to reiterate things around here! :lol: Did no one look at the damn links I posted?

Nightclub Dwight likes this.

3. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2013
    Hartville OH
    I haven't been high enough for 40 years to listen to that and hear Yanny.

high.jpg

jannodude and drf64 like this.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    The word is clearly "tonewood", "tonewood", "tonewood"...

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I don't get it. Yanny isn't a word and it's clearly overtones of the recording of someone saying laurel. If Yanny were a word, it might be more of a debate. As it is, it's entirely priming as the video said, suggesting that it could be Yanny. Whatever that is o_O

... file under why is this a thing?

6. Saw this this morning on my pc newsfeed... yanny. Went swimming this afternoon and this evening saw it again on the tv news... laurel... Tonight (back on the pc) it is yanny again!

So- both!

I wonder whether water in my ears temporarily affected my hearing, or if it is due to differences in sound reproduction between my tv and my pc speakers?

drf64 likes this.

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Twice in the OP you say folks can listen to the audio clip. In neither of those messages did you state that there was an explanation for the phenomenon. So, consider the repeated links as clarification.

8. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Reiterate away, you have no control over how any thread goes.

Maybe some of us don't take 'science' as published in the New York Times as science. There have been so many examples of how they, and others, get it wrong that not to be skeptical isn't rational. Manipulating information to achieve a desired result is a practice as old as communication.

It's disturbing how few of us can tell the difference between science and perception these days.

9. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Note to self: use more words to describe what might be accomplished by clicking on a link in TDPRI....:lol:

soulgeezer likes this.

10. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    So, the fact that it was published in the NY Times automatically disqualifies it as real science, even though "Jody Kreiman, a principal investigator at the voice perception laboratory at the University of California" was quoted extensively?

Wow. Just... Wow.

Nightclub Dwight and drf64 like this.

11. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    And, let's not forget that these folks were consulted and quoted as well:

Patricia Keating, a linguistics professor and the director of the phonetics lab at U.C.L.A., and Elliot Freeman, a perception researcher at City University of London.

That's an awful lot of expertise for something that isn't real science.

Tele1966 likes this.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

Well...write out a list of approved sources FOR SCIENCE and we'll get right on them.

By the f-ing way - I have too much other crap to do to read any articles explaining this phenomenon but sure , I'll believe them.

Question for the folks who posted the articles/learned opinions : do they mention hearing loss ? Upper and/or lower freq hearing loss ?

Because the fact that I even heard Yanny/Yanni at all I considered a great step forward.

Evidently my "laurel" sensitivity is nil - as is my ability to hear conversations at a party or large event.

Tele1966 likes this.

13. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    MPLS
    Interesting! Could explain why in my head my playing sounds like an epic Slash solo, but to everyone else in the house it's sounds like two cats f****ing while simultaneously being skinned alive.

waparker4, Boubou and RLee77 like this.

14. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    From the original recording, Yanny.

15. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    It is discussed:

Some speculated, like Dr. Keating, that the differences might be related to hearing loss or the age of the listener. It is known that some sounds are audible only to people under 25.

“If you turn the volume very low, there will be practically no bass and you will hear Yanny,” a Reddit user wrote confidently.

Yet making those adjustments did not change the word for some.

“I literally just turned all frequencies below 1khz to negative 70 decibels and I still hear ‘laurel,’” someone said on Reddit. Others heard different sounds on different equipment, while still others claimed to hear both.

16. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

17. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

This morning I was in the kitchen eating breakfast while The Today Show was on the TV in the other room. I heard a robot voice saying "yanny" "yanny", and had no context for it. On the way home from work I heard a news story about the phenomenon on the radio in my car, and I heard "yarrel". When they did the story on the evening news, I heard "laurel".

What's heard cannot be unheard, and now I can only hear it as "laurel".

18. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Yes, they do explicitly address hearing loss.

19. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    LMAO!!! I honestly burst into laughter when I read your post.

drf64, william tele and soulgeezer like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.