Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha thr10

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by EuroBailey, May 17, 2015.

1. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Out of interest could I plug in an acoustic and electric to one of these without issue or do I need a specific "model" for acoustic and another "model" for electric ?

2. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2008
    UK
    Nope, the THR10 works well with both acoustic and electric.

3. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Wow ok - that's a big bonus. Is that because is a modelling amp? Versus my ac4tv which is a tube? (I have never tried to plug an acoustic into this)

4. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Not entirely following your question, but the THR10 is a modelling amp and one of the 8 presets on the selector dial (Clean, Crunch, etc.) is for "Acoustic". This is a modeled circuit of an acoustic guitar amp. So it is configured to work with the output of an acoustic/electric guitar.

I don't actually own an acoustic/electric, but I don't think anything will "blow up" if you plugged an acoustic/electric into a traditional guitar amp, such as the AC4TV. It just meant to work with that type of guitar, so the sound quality would be less than optimal.

It should be noted that there is a specific THR model that is meant to work with Acoustic guitars exclusively - the THR5A:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/Reviews/Yamaha-THR5A-Review

I actually tried one of these out before I tried and bought my THR10 for electrics. I thought it was phenomenal for its size, and it offers different types of microphones, etc. But the THR10 was given the Acoustic model so you at least have that versatility in the amp.

5. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Sorry, typing on phone makes it difficult to be concise and clear.

Basically I have a few teles and a vox ac4tv with some pedals.

I am finding that the Vox is too loud for my apartment - especially when I start using any of my distortion pedals - which basically means they arent really being used..

I also have an acoustic and would like to be able to plug that in. I have never tried to use it through the VOX but my understanding is that it wouldn't sound great - although i should just try it!

having a look at these yamaha systems as A) they sound like you can play them at low levels, b) they sound good and C) i dont have to have pedals all over the floor....

My issue is, I like a mixture of music from softer, cleaner sounds like the national and jeff buckley to heavier driven music like rage against the machine, nirvana and dinosaur jr.

So I am trying to work out the best balance between these yamaha systems...

From what I can gather the acoustic will sound fine through any of the systems.. not just the THR5A....?

but its whether I could use the acoustic on the THRX (For more distortion / overdriven sounds like J Mascis) or better on the THRC for cleaner sounds with just some chorus / reverb?

or do I need one of each haha

6. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

My experience mirrors yours- the AC4 (or even worse, the VHT Special 6) are too much for bedroom or apartment use. When you really get them singing, you'll be in trouble with your neighbours, whether it's other tenants in an apartment block, or sleeping family in adjacent rooms.

Yamaha would love to sell you two THR's, but the only reason I can imagine for buying two of them is if you are a metalhead and can't live without the 10x's high-gain tones for electric. Since it doesn't have the Acoustic patch, you'd probably need to pair it with a 5A for your acoustic.

The modelled metal tones on any of the THR10's are going to blow away the AC-4 regardless.

Given that you've already got overdrive pedals, I wonder if you really need the 10x. Unless, of course, you need to sell your pedals in order to finance the purchase of the Yamaha.

Personally, I would be all over the 10v2 or 10C. I'm an old geezer, and I've never been into the metal tones on any of the modelling gear I've had over the years: Yamaha DG Stomp, Line 6 Flextone III XL, POD Live XT, first-gen Fender G-DEC, Vox VT20+, the Yamaha THR-style plugin that came with my Steinberg audio interface, or even the various modelling apps on my iPad rig.

Probably the best advice? Check the obvious combinations out for yourself:
    - Run your acoustic into the AC-4, into the TRH5A, and through the Acoustic patch on the THR10 or THR10C
    - Try your electric and current pedals through the THR10X/C/X, and see which one(s) float your boat
    - Just for fun, try the output of your pedal board or multi, using the THR5A as a clean monitor

I mention the 5A even though I haven't tried it, because my POD XT Live used to sound pretty good through a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. If you have enough pedals, you might be able to shape a good electric tone with pedals alone. If so, then you might be able to run that straight into the 5A, which also offers more built-in tone shaping for your acoustic-electric.

As long as you don't absolutely need all the high gain tones in the 10X, the plain THR10 v2 or the10C probably offer the best likelihood of being truly grab and go for both guitars. The Acoustic patch offers some of the acoustic-oriented tones of the 5A, and with your electric, they may have enough effects and amp tones to let you ditch your pedals altogether...

Just to throw a couple of other options out there:
    - My acoustics used to sound pretty decent through the G-DEC, and it was a dandy little tool for practice and jamming. Used ones are cheaper than spit.
    - My regular and baritone acoustics sound great through the VT20+.

When you pair the Vox up with the optional VSF5, you get access to up to 8 user presets plus tap-tempo under your foot. I find that rig more flexible than the Yamahas, and the two pieces together are still cheaper than the THR10C alone.

Of course, the Yamahas kill both the G-DEC and the Vox when it comes to portability and tabletop use.

7. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Thanks Srolfeca

really good common sense advice. I might go to a shop this weekend and have a play with both. I guess I could always get the THRC and then try use my overdrive/distortion pedals through that if I ever want to. Will be interesting to hear the acoustic through all channels and not just the acoustic preset.

When I get back home in a few months time I will try my acoustic through my ac4tv as well!

Thanks for the time and detail you put into your post - appreciate it.

8. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    The acoustic model on my 10C sounds great.

9. Paully

Paully Tele-Meister

May 29, 2014
    Lewiston Maine USA
    I have run my acoustic thru the Thr 5 (not A) and was able to dial in good tone on the clean channel.

10. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    What about when you try your acoustic through some of the other channels (eg not the acoustic preset)? Sound any good?

11. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    I was able to play a seagull acoustic through a thr5 today in a shop (not the acoustic model). I tried it through all the channels but the only one that really worked was the clean channel - the others broke up with any gain or effects on board. Through an acoustic there was not a lot of volume on tap. He didn't have the 5a or thr10 in stock so may have another crack next week.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.