Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha THR10 VS ???

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by meirmusic, Jun 16, 2016.

1. meirmusic

meirmusic TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Hey guys, I'm trying to decide on a small amp to keep in the living room. I live in a apartment so I gotta play pretty quiet to keep the neighbors happy, and don't really want to use headphones. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha THR10 (standard) but wanting to know what you all would recommend/ think about the THR10.

2. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    The thr is perfect for your situation...you get cranked tube tone at low volumes. I own the thr10c..get one you won't regret it.

meirmusic likes this.

3. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Other options are the Roland Micro Cube or Cube Street. I have a Cube Street and it sounds good. An added bonus is it runs off batteries (in addition to AC) for busking, camping, etc.

4. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yamaha also has the batteries option. I have the smaller THR5 and I love it, has a killer little reverb, delay, chorus, and some other nice effects. LOTS of tones to be had from this thing, perfect little practice amp. My wife has very sensitive hearing and she loves this amp.

JayFreddy and meirmusic like this.

5. meirmusic

meirmusic TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna go with the THR10C.

6. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2011
    York
    Let us know how you get on. I got the 10c but didn't really gel with any of the models.

I swapped it for the 10 standard and it's a breath of fresh air, the 10 Twin is better for me that the 10c Deluxe, the 10 Lead gets the classic strat neck SRV/Sayce tones where I couldn't get the 10c Brit or American Blues to do their thing.

Mind you, as a 90℅ pedal man I tend to use the Bass model quite a lot to ape a clean compressed Hiwatt, and I think that is common across all the 10 models.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    JayFreddy and meirmusic like this.

7. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I would really like to a/b the 10 and 10C; I got a regular 10 and couldn't be much happier but still wonder... No big stores in my town to check 'em out so I just bought online.

Amazing little box - it sits on top of the back of my desk so I can play while I work on computer. Reach up and flip a switch to go from clean Twin to crispy Vox to searing Marshall to cooking Boogie.

meirmusic likes this.

8. meirmusic

meirmusic TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Now I'm second guessing myself haha. Trying to decide between just the THR10 and THR10C now. The THR10 Standard is looking like the more versatile of the two but I really love a few of the options on the C that I'm not sure I can get on the Standard. If I had an extra $300 laying around i'd get the both for sure lol.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

9. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Maybe some of the guys who've played both or own both can chime in? I almost bought the 10C, but at last minute decided to go with the regular 10.

I'm like you in that I don't really want to use headphones, and what I can tell you is that these little amps excel at great tones at super-low volumes; down to the point where you're hearing the acoustic part of your playing at the same time as the amp. That's when you know it's time to turn it up just a bit lol.

It's no substitute for a real tube amp when you want to play loud, but for most around-the-house use it's the s#%t.

meirmusic likes this.

10. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    Own the 10c and I played the 10 a couple of times at guitar center...as mentioned before the 10 is a lot more versatile...a Swiss army knife
    the 10c is more like a collection of boutique amps...I chose the 10c mainly because I play clean with some breakup...country and blues

11. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2011
    York
    As replied earlier, for me the standard 10 has everything.

The 10c was just too narrow a field of amps, and even then to be honest I like the 10 versions better anyway even within that narrow field, ie Twin not Deluxe, and Lead not Brit/US blues.

The effects on the 10c to me were also so so, vintage in flavour (supposed to be "good") but also to be honest a bit weak, I have vintage based pedals and the standard 10 effects seem closer than the 10c's anyway.

All the tones I heard on the demos of the standard 10 on YouTube turned out to be the ones I "needed".

I still went and got a 10c anyway because I liked the idea of boutique and classy, bespoke, unique, not - generic. I was wrong :) and swapped for the 10 and couldn't be happier.

Either way, they are the best modelling amps I think.

Headphone playing really depends on the.......headphones, so that is another discussion!

If you have a good shop, you can always take it back and swap. Then prob do the same again!

meirmusic likes this.

12. Lelik

Lelik TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Italy
    The Blackstar Fly 3 (with its additonal speaker in case) is a nice alternative too. Less amp models and effects, but very good core tones IMHO.

blackjaw, Cliffyg62 and 4seven3 like this.

13. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    I love them both but gravitate to the 10c. Seems to be higher gain vs cleaner. Had to fight a bit with the 10 but found some tones i really liked. The 10c, love all but the mini z mod. Still trying to figure that one out. Seems to me in a perfect world if you play all types, both would be perfect. Me od pedal in front of the 10c. But man, I like me both... never tried the 10x...

14. DocJay

DocJay Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2012
    Tokyo
    I had both the 10 and 10C and kept the 10C because I prefer lower gain tones. They actually changed the firmware on the 10 after I got rid of it to make the clean amp cleaner. I might have kept it if they had done that originally. Both are good. I don't really like the effects on either, too over the top for me. I prefer subtle.

I also live in a condo and have to keep the noise down. I recently added a 1970s Vibro Champ as well, and it is the only tube amp I have ever owned that sounds good at apartment levels. Might be something to investigate if you ever decide you "need" a tube amp.

15. sammy axe

sammy axe TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2016
    san diego ca
    The THR will work great for what you need but you might want to look at those Boss Jam Stations with the built in backing tracks. It's a pretty cool little tool.

JayFreddy likes this.

16. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    Great little desktop amps and the USB interface and software make it even better. I was surprised of how loud it can get. Lately we have been using it as a acoustic amp.

17. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

May 29, 2014
    RI
    I really enjoy my Blackstar Fly 3 for travel and living room play...really nails that TV volume with great tone

Cliffyg62 likes this.

18. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    Anaheim
    I tried out the Fly 3 when I was looking for a practice portable amp. My girlfriend was with me at the store and sometimes I like to let her tell me what she likes. As a non player she just hears the sound and doesnt really over analyze stuff like i do. Now she did not like the Fly at all and she left the jam room and went looking around. She came back into the demo room with the THR10 and says, "Babe! Look how cute and retro this is! I wanna put it in the living room to use with the record player" LMAO!! I thought ok ill humor her and try it out. Dude, walked out not ten minutes later with a new THR 10. I absolutely love this bad boy. Take it to the beach alllll the time. Such amazing tones and awesome that it doubles as an interface.

blackjaw and Honest Charley like this.

19. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara

What's a record player??? ;)

20. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    Anaheim
    hahaha she recently caught the vinyl bug, which is cool with me because i dig that stuff. Now she buys me records for gifts, like the Appetite for Destruction repress for my birthday and a nice Regatta De Blanc original for like $2 haha

bsman likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.