Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha THR10 vs Mustang III

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by fender4life, Oct 16, 2015.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Not asking how good one sounds over the other. I'm 110% satisfied with my MIII and from the reviews the THR seems to be at least as good. Problem is i moved into a place where the MIII is considerably too loud to be able to play at home at 2 or over on the physical master with the preset at volume about 1:00. Under 2 it becomes soft and mushy with no punch. Yes, i have tried upping the physical master and turning the preset down etc etc. But it's just too loud to play it at home. So i'm considering the yamaha, but unless it can sound punchy and considerably less volume it'll be a waste of time and money for me.

So i'm asking those who have owned both the MIII and the THR.....will i get the punch and all those sonic details that the MIII has once the volume reaches that point but at say 50% or less of the volume of where the MIII just kicks in with the goods?

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    If you like the Mustang, why not just get the MI? I'm sure you already thought of that though.

That's what I did after trying both. Biggest factor for me was value/price.

3. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I have the THR10 and Mustang I, so I can offer an opinion on that. The THR10 is kind of in a weird place where it's a tremendous product that you could recommend to just about anyone, but at $299 retail, it may or may not be the right way to go given some of the other options.

I've actually heard that the MIII is pretty good at low volumes, despite its relatively large size and the fact that it has enormous power on tap through that 12" Celestion. But as a home/hobby player, I can certainly imagine wanting to play at volumes that are even quieter. This is actually the reason I didn't buy a MIII, even though I think it's an awesome amp - I didn't need it as a primary amp, and found that the Mustang 1 actually gets plenty loud to fill up an office or bedroom. I do miss the XLR, FX loop, and LCD screen features, but I don't have a need for another "large" combo amp (The Mustang 3 is 36 pounds).

However, while the Mustang 1 might do a better job of low volumes, I'd be a hypocrite to tell you to buy essentially the same amp in smaller form, since I've done exactly the opposite. I seem to be hoarding an assortment of small but varied inexpensive amp options, because I like that each has a different feel and purpose.

The THR10 is a very good product. I would keep an eye out if you have a local Guitar Center - I've seen them put THR10 or 10C's on sale for $249 or even $229. Of course, there is also the THR5, which has basically the same sounds and output, but a few less features and smaller enclosure, for $199. Let me know if you have any questions about the difference between those two.

If your budget is not a huge concern (in other words, if it's more important to get the right amp up to $300, as opposed to saving money), then I think the THR10 will be a more useful product. Especially if you want to use it for other things (it's a great recording interface).

If you want a lower cost alternative, the Blackstar ID:Core10 is $100 and is very comparable - it just doesn't capture the "bigness" of the THR10 sound quite as well. (They also make a bigger Core20 that I've heard is pretty good).

Or, to make this even more complicated, you could pick up a Mustang I ($120) plus a Blackstar Fly3 mini amp ($60) and then you have a full array, of loud, bedroom, and portable playing options, all three of which sound fantastic.

4. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Yeah, please do. (tell me what the THR5 misses compared to the 10)

5. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    I have a MIII and considered the THR10 as a practice amp for home. I couldnt stop playing the THR10 in the store. Sounded great at low volume.

I think the THR5 is the same amp but just missing some of the bells and whistles like a volume knob for the aux input to control volume from the amp. I think it is also missing the ability to save presets. If you dont need that stuff, you can save $100

I ended up finding a Tech 21 Trademark 10 on my local CL for dirt cheap and got that as a little practice amp that I leave in my living room and play when everyone is in bed. They dont make the Trademark 10 anymore but if you see one pop up, they are worth checking out too

6. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I have the THR5 and THR10C. The 5 is a little like a Tele in its stripped down simplicity. No pre-sets; just a Tone knob - not Bass/Mids/Treble and fewer amp models (but has 5 great ones); no USB/Aux output knob. It has the same power rating and speakers, but in a smaller cabinet.

The labels on the THR10 & THR5 are much easier to read than the 10C. I wish they'd used white letters & numbers instead of the dark grey.
    [​IMG]

7. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thanks. 5 is definately out. $ isn't that important to me.

8. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I've found the THR5 to be ideal for plugging in and playing, without the distraction of creative knob twiddling.
    It's small enough to sit on my computer desk when I'm playing along with YouTube tutorials.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2014
    Reston, VA
    Amp models - the THR5 just removes the bass, acoustic, and flat settings (not really amp models, just capabilities).

Otherwise, you should know that the software can configure almost everything that's on the 10 (e.g., bass, mid, and treble). Some days I think I should have bought then 5 instead - size and simplicity is also a good feature.

10. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    To the OP...

Maybe look at a software solution, the Scuffham Amps modeller is an interesting one. I am about halfway through the 15 day trial period and I havent decided yet if I am going to buy or not. I am not in the same loudness situation as you are, I can crank my amps whenever I want, but I kinda like the Scuffham through my studio monitors, and it sounds pretty good at just about any volume.

Now that I have played with it a bit I am getting nice sounds from clean to high gain. I did a clean track last night with my 52 AVRI that sounded very good.

What don't I like about the Scuffham? Well, it invites you to tweak, and aim for that perfect tone. Personally I do better with one volume and one tone knob, so I can concentrate on my playing!

Anyway it works great as a standalone application, and you can use it in a DAW too if you want. Not sure if it is your cup of tea, but the 15 day demo is free.

Good luck, and I hope you get to get out and TURN IT UP sometime soon.

11. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2013
    Sooke, BC
    How about a Vox Mini5 Rhythm to muddy your choices even more? I use mine more than I do my MIII. Great little amp that gets pretty loud for 6.5" 5W SS modeler. It also sounds very good at 0.1W with the volume dimed. Add the battery power, rhythm, effects sections and the mic input and it becomes a very versatile amp indeed. May be worth the OP's consideration. I know it's the last amp I'd part with if I had to thin the herd.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I haven't heard the Yamaha in person, but in your situation I'd
    get the Mustang I, being you are already familiar with FUSE
    and you'd still have all the editing capabilities that you have
    with the MIII along with being able to store your presets.

The Yamaha isn't a bad choice but I'd feel limited.

Good luck with everything. Prayers are with you.

13. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    if you have a MIII then you dont need a smaller conventional amp .Its THR10c all the way .I have a Mustang 1 with a 10' emmy and its great but for home or recording use the THR really hits the mark .Worth every penny .I used to run it from phono out to aux in on my Mustang to get it louder in a studio through a mixer into the PA .The thing with the THR is to stop thinking conventional amp .It isnt .

14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    You will need outboard effects but I think the Lunchbox Junior will give you what you want.

35 watts with the small speaker will give you the punch without earsplitting volumes .

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products/junior.html

15. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    The outer banks of Chicagoland
    I'm not sure that I would call the THR10 "punchy", but there are some really good tones to be had at lower volumes, and you can't beat the Hall reverb that can be activated through the software. My only issue with it is, of course, that little lunchbox is not really going to give you that "amp in the room" bigness - more of a hi-fi reproduction of great tones at low volumes.

Not sure how "soft" you are looking to go volume-wise, but the Blackstar HT-1 tube combo may fit the bill. Not terribly clean above a talking level, but there is some great dirt to be had without bothering the neighbors. :)

sunnysal likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.