Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha Thr10 Vs Boss Katana 50

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Alexpapasitoguapo, Mar 14, 2018.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've played through a Yamaha and I own a Vox Adio, which is very similar (although it gets notably louder than the Yamaha when plugged in). And, yeah, those little speakers are brilliantly designed and do sound a lot bigger than they have any right to. But they still don't sound ANYTHING like a legit 12 inch speaker, or even a good 10 inch speaker. i've owned a Katana 50 along with the Adio, and now I own a Blues Cube Hot along with the Adio. And as good as the Adio sounds, and it sounds shockingly good, the Katana and Blues Cube sound that much better, that much fuller, that much more like an actual amplifier rather than a really good recording of what an amplifier is supposed to sound like. Even a pretty low volumes, you can feel the rumble of a 12" speaker in a way that the little speakers in these little amps just don't get across, even if they come surprisingly closer than you'd think they should be able to. Again, if space if a huge issue, it's an easy call for the Yamaha or similar small amp. But if it's not, to me it's a similarly easy call to go for the Katana - the only downside is it's size for those who just don't have the space...

-Ray

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I have two THR5s, two Microcubes, a Cube 30, a Cube 40, and three Cube 60s. I also have a Roland GA 212.

When people ask, "Should I get the THR? Should I get a Katana?"

The answer is, "Yes! Of course!"

How can you pick just one?!

The Katana 50 is the next generation of the Cube 40, which replaced the Cube 30...

I'm kinda' gassing for the Katana 100 head. To me, the built in 5" speaker for practice is pure genius.

I also play a little pedal steel, and the Katana 100 has a good reputation in the PSG community.

The head version would be cool because then I could run it thru my existing cabs...

3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hiya.

Yes, that and the porting and the fancy stereo imaging trickery they got from the hi-fi stereo division. No idea how it sounds compared to the Boss, but don’t discount the quality of the Yamaha’s sound by judging it on those wee speakers. It sounds unbelievably full for what it is.

Pax/
    Dean

DHart likes this.

4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thats a good point too. A lot of people who know a lot more than me describe the THR sound that way.

True too. I guess in the end it comes down to needs and means.

Pax/
    Dean

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    raysachs and Alexpapasitoguapo like this.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I use my THR10 as a practice amp at home. I usually learn songs by first working them out on my unplugged Tele Thinline. Then I go to my music room and plug into the THR. Then I play with the band, and use my PRRI. These tools all do their job really well.

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.

6. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    For daily practicing in my music room and for recording into the Mac, I use the Yamaha THR10 almost exclusively, in spite of having a Silver Face Champ with 10” Weber Vintage AlNiCo, and a VOX AC10. These are all good amps, each quite unique. Generally, I have no need for high volume, so the THR10 (which has great tone, especially when you use the Online Editor to dial in your sound) is typically all I need.

[​IMG]

Headphone out, USB out to computer (digital interface), battery powered option, Wide range of digital EFX options, and compact/lightweight form factor make the THR10 incredibly useful and versatile. And the stereo/hi-fi sound quality is amazing, especially given the size.

I like a clean, compressed tone with a slight edge, and a very light touch of reverb. For that sound, I avoid all the “models” on the THR10 and use the “Bass” setting, with Gain, Volume, Reverb, and Compression dialed in from the Online Editor and stored in a preset. I don’t use the overdrive settings (which have too much ‘gain’ for my liking) on the THR10 because I’ve found such a brilliant and sweet cleanish tone with very mild over drive using my own settings.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Could I please have the strat?

DHart likes this.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    My wife had to tell me what you said because I can't hear a damn thing, could you speak up a little?

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.

9. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Oakland
    I agree a lot with you, and that strat finish is absolutely gorgeous, you've got very cool gear.
    I use my thr10 with the strat that I have on my profile picture and this baja tele that I just got. 00z0z_7DCFsiS0fbP_1200x900.jpg

10. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Oakland
    I've been think about getting the katana or either way a Marshall Origin

11. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Any of you that have seen my other posts would know, but some here may not. I took the advice of some others on the forum and connected my THR10 (using the 1/4” headphone output jack) to a pair of good-sized, powered studio monitors (M-Audio BX8s). And oh my Lord... what huge, rich, glorious sound - at everything from conversational volume to waay too loud for me.

Since I don’t play in a band anymore, and only play/practice/record in my home music studio, this is an awesome option for amplifying and getting deep, rich and wonderful sound quality.

Having the speakers positioned as studio monitors would be - direct to the head and in stereo - is really nice vs. having a conventional amp sitting on the floor aimed at your feet. Of course one can raise cabs up onto stands and/or tilt them up, but still, the studio monitor positioning is quite nice.

[​IMG]

I am intrigued by what I’ve read and heard about the Katana amps, though. Is the Katana-Head amplifier the state-of-the art from BOSS at present? In terms of sound quality and features? Vs. Blues Cube amps and such?

And, another option for those who play in a home studio as I do - a dedicated guitar preamp going into powered studio monitors? Any recommendations on top-quality guitar preamps with EFX out there? If a power section isn’t required, a high quality guitar preamp section, with EFX, might be a good way to go?

12. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    I think the THR100H would be a better comparison to the Katana, a lot more money to be certain but I see them occasionally for about $500-$600. My experience with the THR10 has turned my head around on solid state in general and I'm pretty certain all my amp needs would be met with the combination of a THR10 and THR100H with some of my existing cabinets. . .although I'm still considering a speaker-out surgery on the THR10.

DHart likes this.

13. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Ext speaker cabinet output on the THR10 would be really nice to have.

But try Headphone out to a good pair of studio monitors sometime - it's awesome!

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Buy my Katana 50 , then I can get an Origin 20 ;)

A big reason the Katana 50 is getting a ton of press/buzz is that it’s $220 shipped. It also sounds quite good. For a solid state amp.

I think the Blues Cube 60 is a way better sounding amp - certainly for people who like to use their own pedals as it really doesn’t have any besides reverb and the Katana’s aren’t gig-friendly. But it costs 2.5x what a Katana costs.

Small and cheap though ? If it sounds at all like an amp at $200-$250 then you’re winning (Charley Sheen)

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Could I please have the tele as well as the strat? Thank you...

DHart likes this.

16. knh555

knh555 TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I have a THR10C and a Katana 100. Different beasts. I bought the Katana for live playing out at a range of volumes. It's perfect for rehearsal in our small space, though we might start rehearsing with the THR too (no drummer). It also has a pretty nice acoustic mode, to my ears at least. I bought the THR10C for recording and to have something portable and battery powered. I also record with the Katana, which is a bonus. Since they both have digital out via USB, all's well.

I have had some problems with the THR recording from and playing back out through USB on my Mac with High Sierra OSX. Recording will suddenly stop at unpredictable times. Playing back through the TRH - it's handy to monitor through that for me - also will cut out for 5 seconds or so on occasion, often enough to be annoying. Note that the Yamaha driver does not yet officially support High Sierra, which surprised me when I upgraded my Mac. Unless I'm mistaken and haven't found the updated driver, of course.

I'm not having any of these problems with the Katana.

DHart likes this.

17. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 25, 2016
    Hood River, OR
    I also have the Katana 100 and THR 10C. Katana is certainly more versatile, but for me, the Yamaha is a little better at really low volumes, like quiet enough that I won't wake people up downstairs. It uses that stereo trickery to sound really good at low volumes. It's a good alternative to using a headset if you can get away with say, tv volume.
    Both great, but if you're looking for something that can get pretty quiet and still jam with a friend or gig with, go with the Katana.

DHart likes this.

18. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    William... funny thing about this Tele. I almost sold the body because I have a Mystic Red American Standard Tele that I prefer the color of (deeper, darker) better than the Candy Apple Red. The Mystic Red isn’t HH, though, it’s SH. I was going to sell the Candy Apple body and buy a Sea Foam Green Tele HH instead.

But then I redid the whole instrument. Gibson Classic ‘57 pickups (which I changed magnets to AlNiCo V for more sparkle), changed out all the electronics for premium stuff, including CTS 500k vol pot and CTS 500k No-Load tone pot. Then I put on a Fender Japanese-crafted, tinted, and figured maple neck. What a great neck!

And now, the guitar body I almost sold, sounds so good and plays so wonderfully that it may well be my favorite of the 5 Teles that I have, and they’re all wonderful guitars!

The Gibson ‘57s have that fat, rich, full PAF tone, but are now brighter and more sparkly than normal, in a Fendery kind of way - just fantastic tone, due to 1) no covers, 2) AlNiCo V magnets, and 3) 500k No-Load tone pot. I can’t believe how great this guitar sounds now. It’s like if Fender made a Les Paul that’s much more comfortable to play, and well-balanced. And the belly/rib cut on the back is so comfy when sitting. These mods have turned this into a guitar that I won’t ever want to sell. I’m so thankful I didn’t sell it.

The Jade Pearl Strat, however, I was foolish enough to have sold. I regret that to this day.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

19. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Ok... so the Blues Cube amps are considered to be higher-end amps than the Katanas, and they definitely sound better.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^^And cost more than an Origin 20 - a Marshall tube amp ! :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.