Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha Thr10 Vs Boss Katana 50

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Alexpapasitoguapo, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Oakland
    Hi everybody! Hope everyone's doing well.

What do you guys think?
    I love my yamaha btw

2. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    I'm doing fine.Glad you love the Yamaha.

hemingway likes this.

3. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    A direct comparison would be interesting as I have not tried the Boss. I do have 2 THR units though and find them about perfect for their designed purpose.

JayFreddy and Alexpapasitoguapo like this.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Lower your voices, guys....we're not THAT hard of hearing.....

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Alexpapasitoguapo and Georox like this.

6. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    The Katana would look funny sitting on my desk.

The THR isn’t what you need to play with a drummer.

Horses for courses.

7. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    They're both good at low volume - the Katana has more effects if that matters. But the Katana is considerably larger and is ALSO really good at high volume. The Yamaha is very small and is only good at low volume. So, assuming for the sake of argument that they're dead equal at low volume, the question is which is more important to you - the ability to also sound good in a higher volume setting, or the small size that allows the amp to live on a desktop or bookshelf. If you'll never need more volume and value your space, get a Yamaha (or Vox Adio or Katana Air) - if you might need to play at higher volumes sometime and have plenty of space for a larger amp, get the Katana.

-Ray

8. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Did I miss something? I didn't even know there was a fight scheduled. I miss all these things, not having a TV :D

They're just tools designed to do slightly different jobs. Only your own requirements and ears can tell you whether either, both or neither succeeds.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    CFFF and Alexpapasitoguapo like this.

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Different critters, I have had both. Katana is better over all with a better tone. The Yamaha wins hands down in regards to portability.

Having said that, I still have the Yamaha, it is my travel amp, I no longer have the Katana the software would not work on my computer.

JayFreddy likes this.

10. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Did something happen to the amp forum and pedal forum that precludes discussion of amp, emulators, and effects there?

william tele likes this.

11. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Oakland
    You can talk about whatever the h3ll you want in bad dog cafe, dude, chill

howardlo likes this.

12. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Does the Katana 50 function as an analog to digital interface? Will it run on batteries too?

Those are the two things my THR does that none of my other amps do.

Fwiw, I have the THR 5. I was going to get the 10, but when I tried the 5, it sounded the same and I like the smaller footprint more than the memory storage of the 10.

13. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Yes it does. No it doesn't

Alexpapasitoguapo and JayFreddy like this.

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I have had a THR 10C for years and when I want it louder I just plug into my DV Mark Little Jazz or any other amp .The Little Jazz is great because it only does cleans so no distortion but I have also put it through Mustangs and my Champion 40 on clean settings .In a sense I am just using the THR as a pedal .Works great

15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I have a THR10 and it's great for desk-top use. I suspect that the Katana will do much the same at similar volumes but it looks a lot bigger and probably more use if you intend gigging or need a lot more volume.

"What will do a lot will do a little" springs to mind - but do you have a need or space for the Katana?

16. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    One of the best things about the little THR is its portability. It's small, and it runs on batteries, so you can grab it with a cable and guitar and head to another room.

17. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    The beauty of the Katana is that you can play through headphones, or at low volumes, then take it out, turn the power switch from 0.5W to 25/50/100 watts (depending on the model) and play with the band, or plug it in to the computer and record. Same sounds, same presets, same amp.

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    One thing that no one else mentioned about the Katana is that it's gonna sound fuller even at low volume because of the 12" speaker. So, even if you don't need higher volume, I would recommend it for better sound quality. It's very, very good sounding, very expressive and articulate, has great touch sensitivity, and typically superb sounding Boss quality effects built in.

19. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    The THR’s stereo speakers also make it sound a lot bigger.

Alexpapasitoguapo and JayFreddy like this.

20. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Yes, the Katana seems to get good press from all and it's clearly a very capable piece of kit. If I didn't have the THR10, I'd certainly be considering one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.