Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha THR10 volume control...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by outsidetown, Aug 18, 2017.

1. outsidetown

outsidetown TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    UK
    Hey all, I'm pretty new to guitar, amps and tone fiddling, and have a MIM tele and a THR10. It's a dream of a combination, but I'm trying to get to grips with how the amp actually works.

I generally need to keep volume quite low, and usually I stick the Master Volume right up and use the Guitar Output dial to tame the volume. I'm wondering if this is the most effective way of doing it - should it be the other way round?

While I'm at it, does anyone have any nice settings or presets to share? I'm really into blues but haven't got the know how to start messing with the software yet, I end up just turning everything on to maximum haha.

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I am probably completely wrong.

But for me the Guitar output knob acts like a Master volume and the Gain and Volume are more like the volume knob..

I usually set the Gain and Volume to get the desired distortion and use the Guitar knob to set the volume.

You really need to twiddle all of the knobs. Especially the TMB knobs, the darn thing can sound like about any type of amp you want if you do. The one caveat is that I have to set it up very differently with different pickups to get similar sounds.

Get comfortable turning those TMB knobs and listening to what it does !

3. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Watch one thing i didn't understand. Each amp model acts like the real amp bring modeled. The knobs act differently on each one except the master. Try the modern one emulating a mesa at anout 8:45 , sweet tone there.

4. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

Lots of fun to be had !

And in my post it should say Gain and master instead of Gain and Volume.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

5. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Thousands of ways to do it probably, but I also run the master up around 3 o'clock and set the volume accordingly depending on which amp simulation I am in. I don't use much bass, but go heavy on mids.

Just play around with it...it is part of the journey.

6. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    Anaheim
    Yeah definitely a journey with these bad boys. Other posters are right. The master volume on the thr corresponds to the power amp section of the particular model. I think lol

7. Paully

Paully Tele-Meister

May 29, 2014
    Lewiston Maine USA
    I've had a THR 5 since they were first released.
    You'll get the hang of it.
    Just keep on ã twiddling dem knobs. ;)

emisilly likes this.

8. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    Master is the only one of the three volume knobs (I’m including gain here) that doesn’t affect the tone.

One neat trick I use on the THR-10C is to make presets where only the speaker changes. That is, I keep the same amp and settings, but only vary the speaker (using the Mac software to edit the patches). Then, I can use buttons 1-5 to switch speakers!

outsidetown and Nickadermis like this.

9. outsidetown

outsidetown TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    UK
    Thanks all! A weekend of twanging and twiddling ahead (on guitar.)

Cliffyg62 likes this.

10. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    Anaheim
    Not true.

The Master Volume totally affects the tone. It is the volume level of the amp mode. The "Guitar" level on the right is the "master volume" for the THR. You can definitely get different tones from pushing the master on the model or backing off, in combination with the gain knob

11. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    It sounds like you're on the right track. The gain and master (and of course the eq) get the "tone", the guitar knob just controls the output level of whatever tone you've created with the other knobs.

The knobs also behave differently on the different models because Yamaha chose to emulate the way the controls work on the amp being emulated. For instance, on the crunch model the treble knob almost works as a gain device.

As Cliffy said, the Mesa model with gain at 8:45 (and dimed master) is very useful. That's one of my favorite settings for getting a Keef tone with an open g tele.

One of the functions where the THRs excel is getting the "wide open" tone of big amps at household volumes. Most of us don't get many chances to dime a Twin or big Marshall. On the THR, you can twist all the knobs to the right and get very close. I'm not saying it's the same, I've got a Twin and fully appreciate moving large amounts of air when I can; but for practice that keeps your hearing intact the THR is just about perfect.

Cliffyg62 and outsidetown like this.

12. outsidetown

outsidetown TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    UK
    Excellent info, thanks guys! Now, I may be being completely dim, but what do you mean when you say 8:45 for the gain dial?

Had a bit of a play today and started to realise what it was all for. I still really love the clean channel on this amp, I've got some really nice bluesy sounds out of it! I also spent some time figuring out how the knobs on the guitar change things too.

Forgive the very beginner questions, until now I've just been using whatever but as the ear develops so does my interest in fiddling (and no doubt, spending...)

Cliffyg62 and Milspec like this.

13. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    When we say 8:45 we are looking at the gain dial like it was a clock face, does that make more sense?

On the Mesa model it's very sensitive around that spot, just a little above or below is a big difference in the amount of breakup.

And to clarify further; when I mentioned "guitar" knob in my previous post I was speaking of the amp knob that's labeled guitar, not the volume control that is on your actual guitar.

outsidetown likes this.

14. outsidetown

outsidetown TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    UK
    Gotcha, that makes sense. Don't know why I didn't pick up on that.

And yeah, realised you meant the amp's guitar knob. Thanks for being so helpful!

Cliffyg62 likes this.

15. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    So sorry I wasn't clearer on that. You'll see that clock reference a lot. Thats my preset no. 5.

16. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Set all the knobs anywhere you want. If it sounds good, it is good.

17. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    You’re dead right. I wrote that post without the amp in front of me, and got the names of the knobs mixed up.

18. ahmetomer

ahmetomer TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2017
    tr
    Master volume and gain is all about the output.

Guitar knob at the right end is about speakers... Doesn't effect the output for usb..

But, If you get a nice tone with high volume in GTR knob chances are high that you will get a low volume in recording usb and when you will increase the master and it will affect tone :(

I can send my nice tones.

Close eric Johnson tones what not...

It is a nice amp but not kempee

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.