Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha THR10...chuffed to bits

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by handers, Jan 3, 2017.

1. handers

handers TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Gloucestershire
    I'm on my first week of the THR10 and absolutely love it you can get some amazing finished tones from it......my tele is pretty warm and this just makes it better.
    I went for the THR10 as i liked the retro cream finish but today discovered the THR10C might have been more suitable for the clean bluesey sounds i'm after. Anyway after discovering that you cant use the c and x model sounds as they are specific to each model... i thought i'd have to sell it on..... but after a bit of messing with the software and some dowloads... realised that you can save the patches from the other models so i can now have the five standard presets PLUS the five standard presets of the 10C loaded in the user banks...well at least as near as possible without changing the amp. happy chappy

FenderLover and CFFF like this.

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    A lot of nice sounds from this little box! And at a house friendly volume.

Decent Reverb too.

The EQ section really works well. Better than I have seen on most. Makes it easy to dial in what you want.

3. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    Anaheim
    How do you get the other presets if it doesn't have the models??? I am quite intrigued by this! I have the 10 and love it but have always wanted the c as well

4. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    +1 on this...

This is news to me, and I'd love to see some documentation/instructions for this.

5. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA

6. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    Anaheim
    Hexabuzz likes this.

7. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    That's what I was guessing... Same parameters, just with the current model in that "slot"...

Again, I think this would be a pretty big deal, and not some obscure secret if this were possible...

8. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2016
    Dublin, CA
    It's shut down at the firmware level, I believe. Presets are specific to the THR model.

Hexabuzz likes this.

9. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

Nov 19, 2013
    Calgary
    I'd say you can LOAD a patch from another amp - but it won't exactly work.

My guess: It will just pick the same NUMBER amp model from the same amp. So if you install a patch created on a THR-10X on the Brown II setting (amp model #4 on the THR10X) and load it on your THR-10 - you'll get the same bass/mid/treble settings, etc, but you'll get a BRIT HI amp rather than a Brown II.

Not to take away from your new amp day though - I have my amp for 3 years now and I'm still chuffed with it too... and I'm from Canada where people don't usually get chuffed. :)

Hexabuzz likes this.

10. handers

handers TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Gloucestershire
    all i did was load the patch file from the 10c, select the preset then load it into bank 1, then repeated for the five banks. I suppose you'd have to have two side by side, but to me they are near as....
    Either way its a great way to have 10 settings without hooking up the pc all the time...
    As far as i'm aware the internals are the same across the models, just different settings.

11. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    I thought the THR10c would be better but I found it sadly lacking against the original THR10

Milspec likes this.

12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I had to read this tread to figure out if "chuffed to bits" meant you were happy or unhappy. I guess we speak a different language. :lol:

Piotr likes this.

13. Terra_Station

Terra_Station TDPRI Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Natick, MA
    For what it is worth. I think this is of the best home playing amp there I have so far. I am only a home player. I have the Bugera v5, Mustang III and THRs. The mustang and my my bug stay in the basement (both are very very good (for what I use them for). The THR's are a loaf of bread you can plug in in any room and just play. When the family is out of the house its time for the Mustang or the Bug.
    No need for pedals. The effects on this are just fine. The only thing I would like is a power out for a looper or a built in recording feature. This is my biggest thing, I never know when I will be playing when I want to record a what i am doing or maybe work on something I have already recorded ... I don't want to set up a looper with its power and and chain in... It would be cool if the amp had a power output that would power a pedal or a built in unlimited looper (with basic drum beats). I see no need to power a bunch of effects with this amp. However, I find a groove and I want to record it I would have to have the looper set up.
    So if I move my loaf of bread upstairs and get into something good... I hope I took the time to move my loop pedal too. Usually I don't.

14. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I found the same to be true. I started out with the 10C, but gave it to my nephew after a year in favor of the original 10. The original just seemed to be more versatile and certainly easier to see the script under the knobs when you are an old guy.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Skill testing question: now what does "not half chuffed" mean?

Durberville likes this.

16. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    From what I've read, the original Thr10 gets closer to the Marshall JTM-45 tone over the Thr10c right?

17. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    I think it's just a matter of preference. I love my 10C and chose it over the 10 because I don't need the heavier tones of the 10. They're both great at what they do.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017

18. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    That would mean that he's fully chuffed, not 1/8th or 15/16th chuffed, but fully chuffed. I'm very chuffed to be able to answer your question. :D

19. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    How regional is the term? It wasn't used much where I come from, Crewe, but it didn't sound particularly exotic either.

"Mary's in the kitchen makin' duff and the cheeks of her ass go chuff, chuff chuff" - "Hogeye Man", a sea shanty. I'm a folkie from way back.

20. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    I don't honestly know how regional it is, it's certainly used here, our drummer (from Crewe) certainly gets very chuffed, the OP is from Gloucestershire, so it's used pretty widely.

Folkie here too, I know the Martin Carthy version.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.