Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha THR amps

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by rxtech, Jul 12, 2017.

1. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    What are the main differences between the THR5 and the THR10? I am thinking of buying a small amplifier, perhaps one of the joy of Bantamps or the Yamaha THR amp.

2. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    The biggest two for me are that the THR10 includes settings for acoustic and comes with pre-sets.

If you don't play any acoustic and plan on using the computer editor mostly for your amp settings, the THR5 would be all that you need.

For me, I found that the acoustic setting is really quite good, so it settled it for me. I had the THR10C originally as I prefer playing blues, but switched to the THR10 a year later...just more versatile.

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    The only advantage of a THR5 is smaller size (fully backpack-able). But it has quite a few features less and I've gone with the 10C

Check this

emisilly and Milspec like this.

4. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    The main thing for me, I can down load 5 presets I made my self with the free online amp modeling software.

Milspec likes this.

5. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    If you can afford it, my suggestion is to go for THR10.
    It has full 3 band EQ, that is very usable.
    Regarding models (i have THR10C), apart from realy nice gainy ones, i found FLAT model to be very nice for cleans.

6. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    If you're considering the THR10, you might be interested in the new Vox Adio Air GT: a bit louder and some more modern features, like Bluetooth and a phone app... Similar price and quality.

http://www.voxamps.com/AdioAirGT

Cliffyg62 likes this.

7. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I play through a THR10 at lessons. Always makes me feel inadequate as my teacher plays along on a vintage Supro. As if his skill doesn't already make me feel inadequate.

That is mostly tongue in cheek, I think it's a pretty bad-ass little practice amp. The only thing I really notice is the higher gain settings really have tons of hum from the single coils in a Tele. I'm not really sure what's going on, it doesn't do that at all on the clean settings. Basically clean and crunch sound good and the rest are just monster hum.

It's really noticeable versus my Orange analog amp at home, on my Orange I can hear the 60hz hum on both clean and dirty channels, but it is much less annoying on the dirty channel than the Yamaha is. (Whereas the Yamaha has essentially no hum on it's clean setting)

If I have/had money to burn I'd get one to take with me on vacations so I could take my Tele to practice on instead of my acoustic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.