Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha Pacifica Tele sighting - what did I pass up?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Bugeyed Earl, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Bugeyed Earl

Bugeyed Earl Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2013
    South Florida
    I had to do a bit of a road trip today, and thought I'd hit a few pawn shops along the way to look for an acoustic bass guitar. One of the shops had a very interesting Yamaha Pacifica Tele for an absurdly low price, but I only gave it a partial once-over (since it wasn't really on my shopping list,) and now I'm wondering if I goofed in not grabbing it.

Here's what I remember: translucent blonde or butterscotch finish with some woodgrain showing through, but not as pronounced as the Mike Stern models I've seen. The body was bound, which caught my eye initially, and it had a maple fretboard. I know it had a humbucker with visible pole pieces in the neck position, but it wasn't marked with a name (also rules out the MS version if the pickups are original I think.)

It's all downhill from here unfortunately, I can't remember if it had a pickguard or what the control layout was (I think there was a traditional control plate, but not sure, and I didn't mess with the controls at all, so no idea if there was a coil tap pot, etc.)

I'm pretty sure it had a full size twin rail style humbucker at the bridge (also unbranded,) and a small non-tele style bridge, but my memory of that is unclear. I noticed that the pickups didn't match and wondered if it had been modified, but there weren't any outward signs of that - there were no plugged holes from a standard tele bridge, etc.

All signs point to a PAC311MS, but I've never seen one with a humbucker at the bridge, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't a 120. I'm thinking about finding an excuse to go back and get it, but it's two hours away. The acoustic bass I was planning to pick up later down the road turned out to be too beat up.

Does anyone know which Pacifica I was looking at?

2. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2007
    Hungary
    You answered your own question it must had have been the PAC311MS. It has and Alnico5 Yamaha humbucker in the neck posi, and a rail-style pickup in the bridge. I don't own the guitar, the few occasions I had one in my hands I convinced myself that the neck wasn't huge enoug for me, but I regret that. As every single Yamaha I had experience with, it must be a reliable, high quality instrument, and if you can get it dirt cheap, I wouldn't hesitate. I have the same humbucker in their lespaul knock of, the AES620HB, and I love it so much, that I actually ordered another one from Yamaha just to put it into something else.

Here's a guy playing one pretty well (it is not the mike stern model as cited in the video. I personally think it sounds better than the seymours in the stern model)

3. Bugeyed Earl

Jul 11, 2013
    South Florida
    I'm sure you're correct lupowitz, thanks for the input. I saw the 'bucker at the neck, I guess I didn't look closely enough at the other one, I felt the neck and thought "nice, but not a tele." I wish i grabbed it, but I'm probably not going back for it. It's a hell of a nice axe for 65 bucks. Interestingly, the store also had a nice Marshall Lead 20 for $100, but the owner claimed it was a modern reissue.:confused:

4. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2007
    Hungary
    65 bucks?????

I might even consider to fly over from Budapest for it!!!! :D

5. mally

mally Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2013
    runcorn cheshire uk
    my Mike Stern didn't have his sig on it just the model number on the back
    wish I had kept that guitar ! they go for around £600 secondhand in the UK
    thats about the same as a USA made telecaster

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Yamaha make great guitars in all areas. That Mike Stern has to be good, otherwise he wouldn't endorse them. Friends of mine in the business say any Yamaha always comes to them just right- I just don't like a belly cut on a body, but they are all good. Phil X uses a signature model Yamaha ( SG Type) and it says a lot about their guitars. Food for thought if you're a Fender/Gibson snob.JMHO

7. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    I played one that had been absolutely mauled. The body had been stripped and had an added cutaway, and the neck had been roughed up a bit. It was possibly the ugliest guitar I've ever played. I loved it - just couldn't put it down, and couldn't get him to part with it. On the other hand, I think my taste in necks may run counter to a lot of other members, so there's a chance maybe it wasn't the right guitar for you, no matter what the price was.

8. Bugeyed Earl

Jul 11, 2013
    South Florida
    I think that sums it up perfectly, thanks for the practical advice. I recently sold a strat-shaped Yamaha and I didn't really care for the narrow neck, the 311 neck felt similar to me. If anyone wants the details of the shop that has this guitar (it's on the west coast of Florida,) PM me and I'll fill you in.

9. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    You're welcome. I'd rather have one great guitar than five bargains. It took me a couple years, but I finally sold off my impulse buys and now mostly just have guitars that I love. If you didn't love it then, I have a feeling it would just be something you'd be getting rid of in a year or two.

10. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2012
    North Attleboro
    That Pacifica is one bad mood. For 65 bones, it's a solid platform, alder, or maybe ash, I forget...., maple, alnico 5, the bridge is Japanese narrow spec, and narrow at the nut, but that'll run with anything in the sub $500 category, easy. Seen them recently on ebay for 250-350. I'm a bit of a yamaha fixer upper. Love those fiddles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.