Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha Guitar Owner's Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    I have a Fender 72 Telecaster Thinline reissue that had a clouding issue near the front and back strap buttons. After a while the clear finish started to peel off. Long story short Fender replaced the body under warranty kudos to Fender for their customer service. I never realized how thick the clear finish is it seemed to be 1/8 of an inch thick l can see why people prefer nitro finishes over polyurethane choking out your tone.

2. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    I have a Revstar 620 the first night I got it I brought it to practice and played it through my Ac10 and a Love pedal Purple Plexi our singer even commented on how good it sounded. I usually play through a Kemper which sounds fantastic but the little Vox kicks ass and it's very portable .

3. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    I keep getting frustrated.
    I have a Taylor GC3 guitar, but my Yamaha A3R actually has better tone, feel, and playability.

Shouldn't be the case according to the intrawebs, but it is. I love it.

savofenno and Alonious_Monk like this.
  4. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    I love my FGX800C. I paid $300 Canadian very slightly used.

savofenno likes this.
  5. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden

How does it happen? Are pickups covered with thick poly?
    I fear you are believing in old sayings, never tested in reality.

6. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden

And my Fender CP-100 parlor sounds light years better than what old prejudices about Fender acoustics are saying. Yes, in 60`s they were not much, but we are living in other times now.

horax likes this.
  7. GeekPriest

GeekPriest TDPRI Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Central Texas
    I just bought a Pacifica 120S Tele-style Yamaha, in HH configuration, white color. It has no pickguard. Does anyone know of a place that sells a pickguard already cut for this model?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  8. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    I could be wrong, but I believe the lower horn of the Pacifica single-cutaway and dual-cutaway guitars is the same, so a pickguard for any X20 Pacifica should fit.

Totally inaccurate, non-scientific comparison:

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 4.38.02 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    savofenno, RoyBGood and GeekPriest like this.
  9. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2014
    Preston UK
    The 120s isn't meant to have a pickguard

savofenno, GeekPriest and RoyBGood like this.
  10. Duffman

Duffman TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Well ....an update
    I took the FG180 in to Ken Newfield at Cosmo Music in Toronto and he di a bang up job at lowering the action with little expense. It still sounds great, and has a new action that is quite playable with no fret buzz and little alteration to the original parts. I now have essentially a new guitar .
    Cheers P1000071.JPG

11. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Colorado
    I'm about to purchase a Yamaha 611vfw but still have a few questions. I have not been able to find a dealer to actually play one at in my area. Maybe some of yo are familiar with the model and can answer these questions.
    1) I've heard the necks on the chunky side ? They refer to it as a soft C, never heard of that myself.
    2) I've heard the P90 is kinda gritty soundy.
    3) I've heard the Wilkinson Trem is not very sensitive and requires a little more force than other trems.
    So I'm hoping the neck is not chunky, the neck pick up clean, and the trem plays like buttah....
    Can anybody give me a little advice or their opinion. Thank you

12. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    I bought an FGX800C in January, amazing guitar for little $.

13. ahnadr

ahnadr TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 28, 2013
    Tulsa, Ok. USA
    darren7 likes this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

On mine the neck is medium to slim, not chunky. Wilkinson trem is awesome with judicious adjustment. I like the Duncan Design P90 in the neck and The splittable Duncan Design PAF style HB in the bridge. Image1541741904.325752.jpg Image1541741937.427696.jpg Image1541741964.137689.jpg

Anita Bonghit and Mincer like this.
  15. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Colorado
    Thanks so much, really appreciate it. You helped me make up my mind to go for it. MF has them for $599 but told me they would be discounted soon, so biding my time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.