Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yamaha Guitar Owner's Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.

2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Does yours look pink depending on how you hold it? I had one of those but HSS, paint changes depending on the angle...

3. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2014
    Preston UK

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I just saw an advert for one of these the other day and did a bit of digging on the net / YouTube and, I must say, it sounds great (I'm a big fan of P90s).

The RS502 (without the tailpiece) also sounds great. Does the tailpiece - which I understand moves and acts like a sort of tremolo - actually add anything? Is tuning stability impaired at all?

Given the price of these, I'm seriously considering tracking one down but I'd be grateful for any advice. Oh, and do they do the 502T in colours other than green?

5. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2014
    Preston UK
    The 502 came in shop black and billet green and the 502t in Black or Bowden Green originally but some new colours were added to the whole range this year I'll see if I can dig them out.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

6. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2014
    Preston UK
    No none of the new colours are on the 502s

7. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    Yamahas are criminally underrated guitars in many cases. I think where they get a bad rap is they tend to flood the market with their "starter pack" disposable guitars, while falling short on the distribution of the midrange and higher instruments, and subsequently, everyone then associates the brand with nothing but crappy starter guitars.

There are dealers here who carry Yamaha acoustics, but not electrics. Amps but not guitars. It's ridiculous.

Yamaha instruments regularly punch well above their price point in terms of sound and quality. They're great instruments, period. Even better value when you factor price into the equation.

I just picked up an AES420, and I'm thrilled with it so far. It was abused a bit by its previous owner, but I'm going to be doing a bit of hardware and electronics tweaking, and it'll be my beater Gibson-scale solid-body guitar. I was originally looking at a PRS SE Soapbar or SE One, but the AES was less than half the price, and just as well made – I think it's a Korean-built guitar, from the Cort factory. (Picked it up for CAD$200 with a small practice amp, so probably about $160 for the guitar.)

IMG_5119.JPG fullsizeoutput_783.jpeg

One of the things that sometimes bugs me about Yamaha is like Ibanez, they like to make a lot of their own hardware, which in some cases is reinventing the wheel. But in the case of this bridge, it's ingenious. It looks like a PRS-style wraparound bridge, but when you look more closely at it, you see that the B/G and D/A strings are on their own separate, adjustable saddles. I wonder if this was designed by Rich Lasner or Trev Wilkinson.

IMG_5120.JPG

savofenno, RoyBGood and balston11 like this.

8. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    Clouding can happen in lacquer finishes if they're exposed to moisture. If it's under the clearcoat, perhaps the wood was not properly dried before the guitar was finished, and it's still losing moisture after all these years. Another possibility is that it's been stored in a damp location. Perhaps keeping desiccant packs (silica gel) in the case, or exposing it to warm, dry air for a while might help.

9. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    The cloudy finish in patches is VERY common in Japanese produced Yamahas and can never be fixed short of refinishing the instrument.

10. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    You can bang on the tailpiece, and it does give an effect sort of like pulling the neck back. but in reality it just looks damn cool!

No tuning issues at all, and the extra string length may contribute to some jazzmaster-ish overtones.

CP.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

11. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    Bedford, UK
    My Pacifica 302S, my favourite guitar...forgive the arty Instagram filters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tubeboy, opend, RoyBGood and 3 others like this.

12. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    Very nice! I need to get one of these on my list.

Alonious_Monk likes this.

13. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2014
    Preston UK
    That 302S is one beautiful finish here's a couple more my pacifica 611 and my MGS standard

s 611 body.jpg sbody.JPG

14. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Proud owner here of two Revstars; 620 and 720B. I briefly (one week), had the 420, but that's a very different, slightly generic, guitar which I didn't really bond with. Both my Revstars sound unique with the 720B having less powerful pickups than the 620. Best thing about them, aside from the lovely aesthetic, is the fantastic neck; big, chunky-and combined with the jumbo frets they feel effortless to play. Yamaha have to take credit for coming up with yet another unique design, and kudos is owed for not producing another Fender/Gibson cop-out derivative.
    I have owned and played many Yamahas, both acoustic and electric, since I bought my first FG180 acoustic back in 1969. They have seldom failed to impress.
    I hope the Revstar series sells well.

RoyBGood and balston11 like this.

15. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Lovely guitars, and with the Telecaster-style being so popular I'm surprised Yamaha have not revisited the model-except in the 1611MS which is slightly out of financial reach for me. Nice player, sweet tones...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    brookdalebill and Alonious_Monk like this.

16. Alonious_Monk

Dec 10, 2014
    Bedford, UK
    Agreed, very surprised I had to scour the internet for as many years as I did (yes, YEARS) to find one going in the UK. I thought they'd reissue/revisit the old design and bring it out again.

May change the scratchplate though, to maybe a light plain cream one, the original seems a bit too showy.

darren7 likes this.

17. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    A clear one might show off the wood grain and burst nicely, provided there aren’t any unsightly cavities or finish fading that reveal themselves after removing the original. My inclination with the blue would be clear, or maybe black.

Alonious_Monk likes this.

18. Alonious_Monk

Dec 10, 2014
    Bedford, UK
    I was pondering a light cream, or just plain white, I have a feeling the cavities would be not so neat under there. I was also thinking of making it an esquire-style with just the bridge pup, I never use the neck pup.

darren7 likes this.

19. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Just picked this Revstar 620 up from Sweetwater last week I'm very impressed with it looks,sounds and plays great. Plus green is my favorite color and this is my only green guitar. After playing it I noticed a bunch of dead frets on the high E (so much for Sweetwaters 55 point setup) but I loosened the truss rod and took care of the problem. This upset me a bit because if I didn't know a little about guitars I would have had to send it back or pay someone to do it. Not what you want to do on new gear day. Would I buy another Yamaha absolutely been eyeing a Revstar 720 I love the satin finish on these guitars. Played it at band practice that night and giged it the next it did not disappoint. My only complaint it the dry switch which doesn't do much not like the one on my Revrend Double Agent.

Attached Files:

20. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Just picked this Revstar 620 up from Sweetwater last week I'm very impressed with it looks,sounds and plays great. Plus green is my favorite color and this is my only green guitar. After playing it I noticed a bunch of dead frets on the high E (so much for Sweetwaters 55 point setup) but I loosened the truss rod and took care of the problem. This upset me a bit because if I didn't know a little about guitars I would have had to send it back or pay someone to do it. Not what you want to do on new gear day. Would I buy another Yamaha absolutely been eyeing a Revstar 720 I love the satin finish on these guitars. Played it at band practice that night and giged it the next it did not disappoint. My only complaint it the dry switch which doesn't do much not like the one on my Revrend

It could be worse it it could be Mother of toilet seat or Tortoise shell.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.