Yamaha Guitar Owner's Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Wow! That is an amazing collection of Yamahas!

2. Buzzard070661

Buzzard070661 TDPRI Member

Thanks :D the yam twanger count is slightly over 30, and it sure looks better than paintings or posters.

Regards
    Peter

3. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Hello Peter, welcome on board!
    Very nicel collection you got there!!!!
    I only have an FG-300A dreadnought and an AES 620HB Lester-style scale lenght thingy, but I do regard them very highly.
    I really love my AES and I see you have the 720 in different colours. I always wondered how would I like them, or the differences in layout and electronics do what to the sound.
    Mine is equiped with a fantastic Yamaha Alnico5 open coil hummer and an SDJB at the bridge as opposed to your custom Dimarzios (by the way you know what models they actually are???).

4. Buzzard070661

Hi lupowitz.

I have a AES-500 , AES-800 and two AES-720 (different colors).
    Both the 720 and 800 have Dimarzio humbuckers, and as far as I know so does the 820.
    The AES-620 have Seymour Duncan in the bridge and a Yamaha alnico at the neck.

These are standard mounted, but when you buy a second hand guitar, it may be modded.

Link with specs for AES-720: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...s/hollow_body_series/aes720bl_grm/?mode=model

Link for other AES models: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=35821

Regards
    Peter

5. meehaja

meehaja Tele-Meister

my first electric (which I still have) is a red, single bridge humbucker, single volume pot Yamaha SE110 strat shaped guitar. Allegedly its a cheap POS (cost £150 in 1992 with amp, case, strap and lead!). Despite this, it has a beautiful action, sounds great and I still can't part with it after 23 years!

6. SRE TUS

SRE TUS NEW MEMBER!

Hello from Tucson. Just joined the forum.

I have a Yamaha SE-300 that I purchased new about 25 years ago. I was told when I bought it the color scheme was rare for Yamaha. It is a Blue Sunburst.

Well, I bought it thinking I would learn to play. 25 + years later, I am ready to start. Problem is, I am having to fix 25 years of neglect and my teenage son's friends lack care. (more my fault for letting them use it at times...)

Since I don't have any info from when I purchased it, any help is greatly appreciated. I am getting ready to replace the selector switch since that is the one item that seems to have not survived the teenagers...Other than that, it has cleaned up nicely.

7. Buzzard070661

I had a Yamaha RGX-110 , basically the same, a great no nonsense guitar. :D

Regards
    Peter

8. Buzzard070661

There is a lot of info if you google it, but only few pictures of a blue sunburst, how about a Picture of your guitar :?:

You can get the selector switch as a sparepart, probably a lot cheaper if you find one unoriginal online.

Regards
    Peter

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Buzzard070661, welcome and wow, great collection! I love that '74 SX-60. What are your impressions of it?

10. Buzzard070661

Before I owned a telecaster, I actually used my SX-60 to get a tele(ish) sound because of the single coils, it has a crispy sound.

The cutaways and the shortened "horns" make the neck seem longer on this set neck beauty.
    [​IMG]

I've imported it from Japan along with my Yamaha SG-35, also from 1974.
    These two are my oldest Yamaha guitars.
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Peter

11. CRAB2722

CRAB2722 TDPRI Member

Nice Looking Guitar

It reminds me of Frank Zappa's Gibson SG. How's it play?

12. CRAB2722

CRAB2722 TDPRI Member

I Must Join The Yamaha Owners Club & I Shall Speak Highly Of This Fender/Gibson Combo

I have one just like this. It is a Yamaha SE300. They were only made between 85-89 & I snatched one up in 1985 as soon as they hit the shelves. I can barely find them online -- especially the mother-of-pearl finish. I've played the SE300H model, SE250s, 350s, 610s, & such clones with their pointy cutaways & head stocks & locking tremolos/nuts. They are stylish in an Eddie Van Halen kind of way, but just don't compare to the cool factor(s) of the 300. I absolutely LOVE this unit! It has close action & sustain like a Les Paul & handles (primarily the rosewood neck) & has a cool, chunky tone like a Strat. Yet it sounds curiously like both. I got my very best feedback effects ever playing this guitar. And such a beautiful coating! When playing live, it takes on the colors of the stage lights. I can remember looking down knowing I was holding a white guitar, yet it would sometimes appear green or purple. It looks yellow in sunlight. It does things that surprise my eyes & ears. I can't believe more pros don't play it. I know they don't cost $1000+, but damn! I've never seen one on TV or film -- except on MTV in the mid-80s I thought I saw one being obscurely played in the distant background by Madonna's lead player (yikes!). I've had some folks beg me to sell them this guitar. I'll never release this Yamaha (or my '87 MIK E7 Squier Strat) to ANYONE no matter how much $ I mite need. My uncle had a big headstock 1973 Candy Apple Red USA American Strat when he was in his 20s. He sold it to get married. Now he's a wealthy energy mogul who, in an attempt to recapture youth or something, spend a couple Gs on a modern reissue. He says it can't compare to the '73, so he'll probably buy vintage. He has the bucks to buy what he wants, but there's nothing like that classic first Yamaha or Strat. Note from the photos the large pots, the big-magnet pups, & the neck-base truss rod adjust. Does anyone else on here have any experience with this fine, fine instrument?:?:

Attached Files:

13. ken2esq

ken2esq TDPRI Member

Just joined, got a Yamaha SE612A that I really love, would like to connect with others who appreciate the quality / sound of these guitars. I also play classical guitar, on a Yamaha G255-S from the late 70s, I think.

Now if I can just find a Yamaha semi-hollow, from the 60's, I'll have the whole set (does such a thing exist?)

I'd like see a documentary on the history of Yamaha. Does that exist? That would be cool -- guitars, motorcycles, ... did they make airplanes, too?

Ken

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  14. ken2esq

ken2esq TDPRI Member

Just thought of question for Yamaha guitar owners:

My late 80s SE612A guitar does NOT have the original trem arm, and the one I use does not fit it (too small). My local guitar shop could not find one that fit (I think all were too small).

I'm wondering what size tremolo arm would fit this guitar?

I was also thinking that there might be some sort of piece I could by that would "marry" my current trem arm to the size of my guitar's tremolo -- like a cylindrical piece that would have outer diameter that screws into my trem arm and inner diameter that fits my trem arm?

Ken

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On page 9 of this thread, southpawguy turned me on to a website in Japan that specializes in old Yammy parts. I bought an original pickguard for my SG800 from them. Check them out for an original Yammy whammy bar.

16. Rob_Holland

Rob_Holland NEW MEMBER!

My customized Yamaha

Just to share this beautiful Yamaha Pacifica. It is a 510 but I put in different pickups (voodoo single coils and a SSV Shur humbucker) that I had lying around and wanted definitely in a guitar. It took some routing but that's something I like to do. My first guitar was a Pacifica and now I am back after dozens of others. I have always liked them.

Attached Files:

17. CRAB2722

CRAB2722 TDPRI Member

Here's How To Find Out Exact Year & Month of Yamahas:

YAMAHA SERIAL # INFO WEBSITE --http://vintageguitarpro.com/serialyamaha.shtml
    It's from this site that I found out my SE300 is NOT a 1985 (the yr. I'm pretty sure I bought it), but rather a 1984. It's serial # is KO300xx. The K means 1984 & the O means August. Hope this info helps someone. It did me.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

Kind of you to post this infor, thanks.

19. Buzzard070661

20. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.