Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yairi vs. Martin

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jeffgothro, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jeffgothro

jeffgothro TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Casitas Springs, Ca
    I've heard serveral Yairi's played next to a Marin onstage, Yairi seems to always win.

(sids note, I used to own a (2006-2008 - not sure exact year) Marin D28 and to be honest, I still favor my 1997-98 Alvarez Artist AD60BK over the Martin I owned (sold) ....and my guitar isnt even a Yairi?

I've been offered a clean 1,300$ Epiphone Sheretin ll for my Alvarez...nope, wont sell/trade it, I love my Alvarez Arist.

Your thoughts, opinions?

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    Sounds like you like Alvarez guitars :)

3. unccivil

unccivil Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I own an Alvarez AF60 sunburst and a '93 Yairi DY61 Signature. They are beautiful guitars, both sound beautiful and the Yairi is one of the best feeling acoustics I've ever played...warm, full, sonic excellence.

I would trade both of them and throw in $500 for a good D28 or Taylor 614 in a heartbeat.

4. jeffgothro

jeffgothro TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Casitas Springs, Ca
    If I still had my D28, I would trade you for the Yairi.

Jakedog likes this.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009
    Tennessee
    I have a Yairi and a HD28. I prefer the Yairi.

Jakedog likes this.

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I bought my Yairi DY-50N Wind River Deluxe New in 1995. I was 23, and had only been playing 6 years. I still have it, still play it, still dont want another acoustic, and still haven't picked one up that I like better. How many electrics, amps and pedals have I bought and sold in those 17 years? How much more do I know about the instrument? How much better of a player am I now? LOTS. But still rocking the Yairi. Speaks volumes.

7. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2005
    California
    What does "win" mean?

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just wish I would have bought my cheap Alvarez RD-8 years ago as a beater. My Yairi would be cosmetically in much better shape today;)

9. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    40 years ago, I had a Sada Yairi dread. Awesome guitar. In the following 40 years, I have not played another flat top that was as good! I think S. Yairis are kinda hard to find.

Jakedog likes this.

10. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

May 30, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    Looks like I am resurrecting a dead thread, but I saw jmiles quote and thought I would mention that I just picked up Sada Yairi recently. It is very nice.

y7.jpeg

11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Zombie thread, but so what.
    I probably love yairi as much as the next guy, but not if the next guy loves it more than a D-35. Martin for me.

12. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I dunno guys..... My 1985 Kazuo Yairi DY-90 has turned a lot of heads over the years. Back in 2004, I had Gene Parsons put his acoustic B-Bender in it. The ebony fretboard and amazing abalone inlay are so smooth and a joy to play. Easily as special and brilliant as whatever strikes your fancy, in this body style and appointments......[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.