Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Xotic EP Booster / Mosky XP Booster / other EchoPlex type boosters

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by sliberty, Jul 18, 2017.

Where do you have your Xotic EP Booster / Mosky XP Booster / other EchoPlex type boosters

1. Before your other drive pedals

2. After your other drive pedals

3. Before and after (yes, I know, I have a problem...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I currently have my Mosky XP Booster (a very inexpensive Xotic EP Booster copy/clone) in front of my other drive pedals, and it is almost always on. I keep it set very low, and I find it drives my other pedals/amp mildly, but in a really nice way - it just adds "that something extra". But today, I tried the XP Booster AFTER my drive pedals. Actually, I have two of them, so I was able to place one in front as always, and the second one behind the drive pedals. This allowed me to switch between them, and try with both, etc.

This little miracle pedal never ceases to amaze me. Always on in front does something very nice to my tone that is hard to quantify. But using it after my drive pedals is quite amazing. It thickens things up a bit, but without mud. And it gets louder without being "driven" by the pedals in front of it. I guess it has lots of headroom. All I can say is - wow.

Now I am torn about where the XP Booster should sit on my board. I have two of them because I have two pedalboards - the second one is not meant for this board. I'm not really sure I want two of them on the board anyway, but it was pretty magical before and after.

Where do you keep your EP/XP/other "Echo Plex type" boosters in relation to your other drive pedals, and why?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I like the various Nocturne "Brain" pedals, but those are based on the Roland Space Echo preamp. When I use my Nocturne Atomic Brain, it's usually pretty much as a standalone

3. Ladida

Ladida TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Sweden
    I have the Mosky XP Boost, very happy with it. Using it as an always on pedal before dirt but after compressor.

The build quality is great for such a cheap pedal.

Southpaw Tele likes this.

4. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

The little Mosky pedals - I hate to say it - are pretty good. The "hate to say" part comes from the fact that they're on the scuzzier side of blatant Chinese clones. I'm generally not opposed to buying circuit clones, but some of the Mosky ones get a little closer to the edge in terms of copying names and box art of the source material.

I actually bought an Xotic EP Booster last Fall...thought it was phenomenal. I then ended up with a Mosky XP Boost by total accident (had apparently asked for it for Xmas before I bought the real thing - it then came about 3 months later in March because they ordered it overseas. Haha). So I got the opportunity I didn't want to do an A:B comparison, and the Mosky holds up pretty well. Especially given how simple boost circuits are in the first place. The Mosky SHO (super hard-on clone) is also really good, though I haven't bought any of the others, and would prefer to check out the real versions of the pedals unless they're just too expensive.

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I like the Mosky XP Booster a lot - I have 2 of them. I also have the Mosky Spring Reverb, which is just OK. It has a bit of a fake sounding metallic character to it, usable, but not great. On the other hand, I paid under $25 for this reverb pedal, so I am not complaining. I use it on my smaller pedalboard, which is typically used for blues jams, and a higher quality reverb is not that important for those situations. My Mooer SkyVerb is on larger board, and is much better sounding ($50-$100 depending upon where you buy it).

I've been buying the more expensive stuff lately (Mooer). In addition to the SkyVerb, I have the Flex Boost, and I have a Blues Crab on the way (should arrive later this week). I also bought a Tone City Sweet Cream ($50), which is quite nice as well. I still like the lower priced Donners / Calines / etc. but haven't found one I want lately.

Are there any really good rotary pedals from these cheap Chinese manufacturers? I have the Donner Alchemy, which has an OK rotary mode, but it isn't like those great dedicated rotary pedals. And while it has many other modulation effects too, I don't use them very much. I mainly need rotary. I'd love to get something comparable to a Mini Vent II in a small, cheap pedal.

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    So, an update. I moved my XP Booster to AFTER my gain pedals. My signal chain is now:

Tomsline Tuner -> Ross Compressor (a clone I built) -> Caline Pure Sky (Timmy copy) -> Caline Orange Burst (BB Preamp copy) ->Mooer Flex Boost (AC Booster copy) ->Donner Boost Killer (RC Booster copy) ->XP Booster (EP Booster copy) -> everything else :)

The XP Booster has great headroom. It sounds huge but doesn't add any dirt when being driven by one of my dirt pedals. And even with the Boost Killer enabled for a solo boost, the XP Booster still takes it without getting the least bit out of breadth. I might have had the XP before the Boost Killer, buy I wanted the Boost Killer on the lower row of my pedalboard. I'll see how it works out Thursday at band practice. That will be the real test. But so far, wow!

The Ross Comp is temporary. I have a Monoprice Compressor coming. Seems to be the same as the Mooer Yellow Comp, which may have been derived from the Diamond Compressor. Just $27 shipped. Once the Monoprice is on the board, I may have room to move the XP in front of the Boost Killer, if I still feel like I want to.

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    So have you played with the DIP switches? I just got a Mosky XP , for $21 shipped, I figure if I don't like it I can sell it and lose a few bucks.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Just tried the Mosky XP out briefly, first impressions even with the DIP switches off and level at minimum it is adding something to the tone, tried it clean and with some gain and it sounds good. I put both switches on and with the level cranked I can hear some difference.
    For the $ it's a keeper, I couldn't build a boost for $21!

20180324_143301.jpg

9. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    Currently, I have a Xotic Ep Booster and a Mosky Xp Booster. I did a blind test and I couldn't hear any difference. Bye bye Xotic... ;)

richey88 likes this.

10. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I just got a Mosky XP and I absolutely love it! I currently have it running into my other dirt pedals, and I haven't tried messing with the DIP switches yet, but I'll have to experiment.

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    experimenting with the dip switches. pretty cool, jury is still out on the best setting...

12. kevsonic

kevsonic TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Consider me a convert as well. Probably the best-kept 20-something dollar secret out there. I can't tell what the dip switches do other than "more of the same"!

13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Man, my board has gone through a lot of incremental changes since I started this thread. Latest incarnation is on a larger board (moved from a Pedaltrain Classic Jr to a Classic 2), XP Booster is gone, all different dirt pedals, different compressor, delay and reverb, and added a Zoom MS70CDR for modulation. Only survivors are the tuner and Boost Killer. In Sheryl Crow's words, "Every Day is a Winding Road"...

kevsonic likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.