Wrong Tele Build Thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cleanheadsteve, May 13, 2019.

1. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

my apologies in advance for anyone who reads this.
    it will be slow, unclear, misinformed and just flat out wrong. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. cleanheadsteve

we'll start out at the best place the (beg...) uh, middle.
    [​IMG]
    which upon further inspection, also includes all the lumber if i want it.
    yeah, i want it. but don't know if i've eaten enough spinach to be able to dissassemble this monster and drag it home. hmmm...
    [​IMG]
    i do have two flat (leaky) roof commercial buildings that are in need of such materials. so yeah, i'm going for it. tear down barn, apply temporary and very amateurish repairs to my building and .... use wood to build teles! Yay!

3. cleanheadsteve

this picture above is just the loft. much more work required that what is seen here.
    so anyway, since it's my lucky day, i check the mailbox and find these.
    [​IMG]
    My order has arrived and now my $40 porter cable pawnshop router (like new with soft start, var speed, 1/4" and 1/2" bit capabilities) is ready to be put to work to turn this
    [​IMG]
    rough cut bandsawed rascal into something we all know and love.
    (full disclosure) this will be my first complete tele build, but i do have a very large pile (15-20) failed attemps. so i definitely have the experience for another (possibly failed attempt)

4. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You are out of your mind! Looks like a mad-cap zany adventure in the making. I'm subscribed.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  5. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Looking good already. I’m in.

6. cleanheadsteve

todays update: i started tearing down the old barn and quickly realized i have bit off WAAAYYY More than i Can Chew. i had to tell the owners to call the next guy on the list. i was the first one to contact them but there were about 10 more after me that wanted it. here are some pics of what little bit of tin i did remove. and a pic of me lying on the loft floor trying to catch my breath.[​IMG][​IMG]
    i left all the tin i removed but i did take 2 boards for a souvenir of my great barn adventure. like the title says. there will be many wrong choices in this build thread so yippee. hopefully it will be entertaining
    [​IMG]

Lake Placid Blue and garrett like this.
  7. cleanheadsteve

i know we all love pics. these will maybe be enjoyable or not depending on ??? but anyway here they are[​IMG]
    my $40 pawn shop router
    [​IMG]
    a pile of bodies from many wrong builds
    [​IMG]
    a pile of necks from wrong builds
    [​IMG]
    oh yes, don't put it past me to destroy some acoustics in my so-called learning process

8. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

time for a bonfire

9. cleanheadsteve

a nice stack of bookmatched walnut tops that i made for some reason or other. havent used one yet
    [​IMG]
    and i even enjoy building my own tools. even though i haven't built a single guitar yet. haha i'm not addicted to building guitars. i'm addicted to getting ready to build guitars : )
    [​IMG]
    homemade table saw
    [​IMG]
    homemade non-oscillating spindle sander thingie
    [​IMG]
    homemade drill press spindle sander thingie. i have a bearing on bottom that fits into a base to prevent horizontal pressure being put on the poor drill press. thats something else i learned from here : )

Lake Placid Blue and Macrogats like this.
  10. cleanheadsteve

and if that wasn't enough, check out my stupid idea to mount my electric hand planer on my radial arm saw. seemed like a good idea at the time.
    [​IMG]
    one of my better homemade tool modifications.
    [​IMG]
    thats right, i took a normal belt sander and stretched it so i could level a whole neck.
    [​IMG]
    yep, we've all seen these before. u take a planer (in this case 13") and turn it into a joiner. i actually would rather have a planer, but like all my projects. "cheap" and "free" rule! i bought a broken craftsman professional 13" planer for $40 at a pawn shop and couldn't get it fixed. the frame had twisted and cracked. so i made a big joiner out of it. i have it set to take about 1/16" of material off with each pass. no need for adjustments. if u want more material removed, just run it over the cutterhead again

11. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure this is how things would turn out if I tried building my own.

12. cleanheadsteve

still better than not trying. and still fun. even with all the fails. so don't let my (lack of) experience thwart u

13. cleanheadsteve

so since my barn demolition didn't go so well, no new barnwood for me. however, i do still have a stash of lumber and even some in the vague shape of a tele.
    so i pick one that is almost the right size. (they are actually all too small) and instead of turning a new piece of lumber into the correct size tele, i'm gonna destroy my template by making it small enough to work with my too small body blanks.
    yes this is wrong, but i have several too small tele blanks so maybe i can turn them into playable guitars with a shorter scale neck. i'm only 5'6" tall so this slightly smaller fiddle ought to fit me just fine.
    here's a couple pics of me bringing my mdf template down to size.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    of course the neck holes are no longer accurate but i think i can still use my string thru holes with some creative neck fudging.
    i know i shouldn't drill these holes until later in the build. but... i like to use them to attach the template to the body blank. nice and secure. and probably wrong. oh well, we'll see what happens next.

14. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Clean, its probably best to drill your template mounting holes into pickup cavities. Your neck mounting screws holes need to accurately match the neck, that means its best to drill them to the Fender standard. Locating and drilling the bridge should happen after the neck is in place and be referenced off the sides of the neck and the scale length. I do the pickup cavities last.

15. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Clean - your cache of homademade power tools is fascinating. Don’t be alarmed if officials from the WTF Hall of Fame come calling about your Radial Arm Hand Planer.
    And I say that in the most good-natured and collegial way....
    Carry on.
    I, for one, can’t look away.

Tonetele likes this.
  16. cleanheadsteve

well, the reason i use the neck and string thru holes is so i can attach my template to either side of my blank. i sometimes have a good bottom bearing bit, sometimes a good top bearing, sometimes i throw a router in the router table and give that a go. but i do like being able to secure my templates to front or back of my workpiece. faulty thinking? of course. it hasn't worked yet. but this time the whole tdpri can watch the fail and really scold me into getting my act together...hopefully

17. cleanheadsteve

i always liked the idea of using an electric hand planer instead of a small router bit/router planer sled. (which i also have and of course sits crooked in it's cradle, thus making lines appear between each pass). so i had the mount the planer to the radial arm saw idea and really liked it. but here's the rub. the blade of the hand planer barely sticks out. so it's hard to get much of a cut. if u try to make a deeper cut, the plastic/metal housing of the planer always gets in the way. i've tried to think of ways to disassemble the hand planer further to allow the blade to stick out more but that always compromises the strength of the planer/saw connection. but it does work for tiny passes. and i can basically just hold the workpiece down with my hand, plane, slide workpiece over 3", plane, repeat. then lower my radial arm a bit and go at it again. i haven't given up on this idea, just need to try to perfect it ad nausem until it works better or convinces me it's a lost cause. and we all know i'm a slow learner.
    i will be posting more later tonight. about what u ask? i don't know. whatever catches my eye when i walk into the shop.
    oh boy! this is fun!

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You do what works for you. I use double sided tape on my templates and mount the bridge to the body before I drill holes in the neck heel. I like a little wiggle room, like Fender does, so the strings can be adjusted side to side too. You can't do that with a snug fit.

19. cleanheadsteve

guitarbuilder, i only wish i had your skill and knowledge. but for now, the wrong build continues.
    here i have reduced the size of my template so it looks like i'm ok to use it to reshape my body blank now.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and maybe i'll use this for the top after i weight relief this solid walnut body blank.
    [​IMG]
    it's not a very good bookmatch at all but at least it has some figure

20. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

[​IMG]
    it's not a very good bookmatch at all but at least it has some figure[/QUOTE]

Once you put the pickguard on there, no one will know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.