Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

WRHB or TV Jones?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jachristmas, Dec 25, 2012.

1. jachristmas

jachristmas TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2012
    SC
    Hello all, this is my first post and I am a new member, I have a 72 deluxe RI, and I really dont like the PU's. They seem very dull and lifeless to me. I have thought about getting a set of WRHB from Curtis Novak. I have also thought about putting a set of TV Jones in there in the standard HB size. I was told by a friend of mine that a standard size HB wont sound right in my guitar due to the width of the WRHB. I am looking for more clarity and depth in my tone but I would like to be able to get some tele "spank" aswell. Can anyone please advise?

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    The stock WRHB in your guitar is dull. Having it modified will certainly brighten it up and make it sound a lot more musical.

The TV Jones is another good choice, but I wouldn't call it "spanky." It is brighter, and more musical but an entirely different animal.

I love the depth and clarity of an original, or modified WRHB. Nothing else sounds like it!

3. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's

I've got one of those 72 Deluxe reissues (mine is the one with two WRHB's stock). Swapping the pickups to Jason Lollar's "Regal" pickups (his version of the WRHB) made the guitar sing - sorta a cross between a tele pickup and a humbucker, just what they should be. I highly recommend those, and they fit directly into the guitar with no mods. TV Jones (I presume you mean some version of his filtertrons) sound great but sound nothing like the current production WRHBs- and TV doesn't make a pickup in a form factor that will fit that guitar without some mods.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. itsGreg

itsGreg Tele-Holic

Sep 3, 2011
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Can't help with the pickups but merry Christmas and welcome to the forum!

6. jachristmas

jachristmas TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2012
    SC
    well thanks everyone, seems like the best thing is to just give a updated WRHB a go, does any of the other wiring need to be changed? pots caps or anything? thanks alot

7. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    If you go with a Telenator MOD1, there is no need to change the pots. In fact, it sounds best with 250K pots. Just drop it in and start playing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.