Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wow.. Vox!?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DRuss, Jun 15, 2017.

1. DRuss

DRuss TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2016
    US
    Well, I found a new-ish (store demo for a brief period) AC10c1 online, did a little negotiating, and got it for a great price! Hopefully it ships out today! Thanks to everyone for providing all this great information! We'll see if it wins out over my tweed blues Jr that I currently own!

JBFatFingers and Il Duce like this.

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    They get considerably more musical as the speaker breaks in, in my experience. Much more depth and complexity to the notes, resonance to the chords. So if like them new, when they can sound very spikey and harsh, you'll probably love it even more as it "matures."

3. DRuss

DRuss TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2016
    US
    Ok, good to know. About how many hours of playing are we talking? And do folks usually combat spikes/harshness by turning the amp treble and/or guitar tone?

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Umm, Weber 'blue pup' 10" alinco, for one.....
    C'mon guys at least Google first...

5. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    I was in the same boat as never playing Vox amps. I finally got an AC15 and loved the sound. Their was a rattle somewhere in the reverb tank or baffle which was so annoying I sold it. Now that they have the AC15 head I may need to grab one.

6. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    I don't know what the standard approach or common denominator would be here. Mine took quite a while because I had time to only play it sporadically. Probably five months of an average of five hours a week...? I did notice a distinct change, though, once I got more concerted and loudly played humbuckers through it with a pretty high bass setting for a good six hours a day for several days. Thereafter it was ringing like a chorused bell.

DRuss likes this.

7. GGardner

GGardner TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    Please keep us updated. I have the tweed B Jr. too and am wondering about an AC10. Nice price and size.

8. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I've always removed the speaker in a new combo and broken it in using an old low voltage power transformer I have, running about 30% power through it for about 3 to 4 hours. Works great. 60 Hz doesn't project through the house, so it's less noticeable than music material.

9. DRuss

DRuss TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2016
    US
    Will do!

10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yes I'm curious too, to hear what you think when you've got both amps side by side to compare.

11. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

RLee77, that's a cool idea. I usually hook up a radio or mp3 player to my speaker and just let it play through the new speaker for a few days straight, in the garage, with towels around the amp to muffle the sound.

12. I don't think I'm a Vox guy, I had a AC10 and pound per pound and price it was a great amp. Sold it after I got my AC15 handwired amp in a trade... liked it out of the gate but kept coming back to my BF/SF amps.. so I sold it and moved it. If I'd say one phrase why I didn't keep them, I'd go with 'they both were really "bright" amps'. I fight the brightness on my BF/SF amps, but can control it. I really couldn't control it on the Vox amps.... maybe it's just me!

13. cloink50

cloink50 TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Austin, TX

14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    I am a lifelong Fender amp user, owner, gigger, basement hack. 6 months ago, I too was struck at the little wonder known as the AC10. It sounded excellent. With humbuckers I was very happy with the tone. Small and affordable.
    So why don't I own one yet?

Not sure. Someday I probably will. The gut pics on the net were a real downer I must say. Toneally, yes. Rugged reliability, ah no.

15. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I break in my speakers by running an MP3 player for like 2 days or more worth of time... Fairly loud while no one is home... Takes about a week or so......I'll pump the bass a bit then the treble then the mids.....YMMV

16. DRuss

DRuss TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2016
    US
    UPDATE: OK, so my AC10c1 was delivered this past Thursday. Now, I've only had about an hour or two playing through it due to visiting family this past weekend, but let me tell you... within 5 strums all of my questions were answered concerning whether or not it sounds as good in person or has the tonal characteristics as the demos I've seen on YouTube... it does!! This thing already seems fit the bill for what I've been wanting. Sorry if this gets long but here are some specifics on my first impressions playing in my living room with an Infinity tele and an Epiphone 335 Pro:

- Very "pleasing to the ear" Tone: To my ears this thing is everything EXCEPT harsh sounding like I've seen on a couple reviews. It's the most colorful, full range, chimey sound I've ever heard out of an amp this small. And the bottom end it has blows me away. I cranked the bass up and hit some bass lines on my tele and it rattled some items on my coffe table next to the amp, but still did not sound flubby or anything. Very inspiring tone that makes you wanna play!

- Extremely usable range of gain on tap: I was able to easily get anything from crisp cleans at low volumes AND very loud volumes, to full on punchy overdrive at ANY volume I wanted to play. The harmonics, clipping, and compression you get while turning up the gain knob is just superb and it still retains SOOOO much clarity and character in the tone. I could get all types of gain from jangly Beatles sounds to Kings of Leon. And it nails classic rock overdrive.

- Simplicity: the amp is so simple to use and has a minimal amount of knobs. This is huge for me because the more knobs, the more I end up tweaking knobs and the less I actually get to enjoy playing.

- Thoughts on AC10c1 vs. my Tweed Blues Jr: Now don't get me wrong, I like my blues jr a lot.. it was my first tube amp. BUT so far I feel like the AC10 is going to be a better fit for me. I feel like the Blues jr is excellent if you want beautiful Fender cleans that can get VERY loud and not break up much at all, and it's an EXCELLENT amp for pedals. That being said, for my uses, I do not play gigs and I like to keep my rig as simple as possible so I don't want a lot of pedals and I much prefer amp overdrive to pedals.. don't know why, I just do. On the Blues Jr I always struggled to get the natural overdrive tones I wanted without it getting too ice-pickey or just flat out being way to loud for me to enjoy in the house. The Vox on the other hand is a completely different story.. I can get the exact amount of gain that I want and it seems to just get to sounding better as I turn up the volume instead of piercing my ears, even though it can still get pretty dang loud. Will I keep the blues jr.? Not 100% sure but it's tempting to sell it since that would cover the cost of my AC10c1 with some extra money being left over. It's still a really good amp though so we'll see.

So far those are the things that stand out to me. I wanted to share this for any folks now or in the future wanting opinions on the AC10c1 or comparisons on these two amps. Everyone here is so helpful so I sure hope my short review is at least helpful to some one! Feel free to post any specific questions if ya want! Oh and Happy 4th to my fellow Americans!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

17. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    Congrats on the Vox! They love ES335's! A match made in heaven.:)

They love Tele's, too.;)

18. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    It's all about tone. IMHO and I gig with my 5e3.... Vol On 3! volume is irrelevant.... That's what mics are for..... Buy a Sennheiser 509 draper it over your speaker sweet spot and rock!

2c worth...

19. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Break in.... Run your stereo thru it while you are at work fairly loud..... Put blankets over it if need be.... But let the tubes breath.....4-5 days of this and you're good to go.

20. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Speaking from personal experience, the Vox AC10 will not be able to compete with a Blues Junior live even at full volume in a band setting. My local blues jam had one in when one of the BJrs was in repair, and the lead guitar player of the house band (and many mor besides) hated playing through it because the amp was simply lacking volume even though it was cranked all the way up. YMMV though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.