Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wow.. Vox!?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DRuss, Jun 15, 2017.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    And ac4c1. With 10" or 12".

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Same here. Until very recently, I never saw one, nor nobody talked about them - I don't even remember ads in magazines? It was Marshall, Fender, Roland, and Peavey, with a few odds and ends like Traynor, Kustom, Hiwatt, etc. Now I appreciate their unique tone.

DRuss likes this.

3. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    The downside to the AC15 is the heavy and large cabinet. However, the Greenback sounds great. Having both Normal and Top Boost is nice to have. I love the tremolo on the amps, sounds so good. I prefer real spring reverb tank to the digital chip one on the AC10.

AAT65, Believer and stnmtthw like this.

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    It took me almost 40 years to get a Vox... to this day I can't figure out why it took so long.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Il Duce likes this.

5. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Boston/Cape Cod

6. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    I was lucky with my first amp, a Vox Night Train G2 15W head. The dirt channel isn't great, i get better drive from pedals.

But the clean channel is awesome. It isn't like the typical Vox clean from AC amps, but its almost there. I was on a budget, but for that prize... its great. Best part is that it really sings clean when cranked in a band setting. My other guitarist has a 5150 and i can keep up with him and our loud drummer.

7. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    Vox all day long. Totally agree with OP on the grit/chime that sets my AC10 apart from, e.g., a Blues Jr. If you're not interested in pristine cleans (which I'm not), in my mind the Vox is clearly the superior choice.

8. DRuss

DRuss TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2016
    US
    I like the fact that the AC15c1 has built-in tremolo but I'm worried I wouldn't be able to run it at the volume it probably needs to get to sounding its best.. does the AC10c1 breakup at significantly lower volume versus the AC15c1? And does the AC15c1 get THAT much more of a "full" sound over the 10? So many pros for each one!

9. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    I can't speak on the 10 or 15, but I have no problem whatsoever getting awesome clean and dirty tones with my AC30C2 at home, and that's going straight in with no pedals. I know that some people say you can't get the 30 to give up the goods without blasting it, and I will admit that it does sound somewhat better the louder it gets, but in my experience I can get totally satisfactory tones with the volume pretty low.

If I had a choice between the 10 and 15, and transporting it or cost wasn't a issue, I'd take the 15 in a heartbeat.

talkbox_64 likes this.

10. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    The AC10 gets gritty faster than the AC15C1. Its a great crunchy sound but to my ear it is not as full or complex sounding as the AC15C1 with a Greenback. An AB-Y switch with the AC15C1 gives you some versatility.

11. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 30, 2014
    Asheville
    Other than one poster who installed a Celesetion Gold 10" in his AC10 and had to prop the back open to make it fit, there has been no report here of a successful alnico installation. Would love to hear and see if anyone has accomplished this.

- Bob

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

12. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    MPLS
    I guess what I was asking is, can you fit a Gold Alnico in the AC10 just by moving the tranny? I actually have a Gold in my AC10, but Inhave to keep the back panel propped up by about an inch otherwise the power tube socket platform hits the speaker.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I sold my AC15C1 and I bought an AC10C1.

I think (this is just my opinion) that AC15's are bright and edgy to a degree where they can hurt your head and I think they can be very touchy to tweak. I sold my AC15C1 the other guitar player in our band and he hates it now which is uncomfortable. I've offered to buy it back because I don't want a problem with a friend.

The AC10C1 is warmer and it has more jangle and it's simple to dial pretty clean tones and classic crunch tones and it's 20 pounds lighter than the AC15C1. I'm 53 and I have a bad back and moving my old AC15 was horrible compared to moving my Deluxe Reverb or Blues Junior or Carmen Ghia.

The AC10C1 is a great amp.

richey88 and dburns like this.

14. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I've had my 15 for a few months now and I still love it. This is my first really good amp so I don't have much in terms of comparison points, but a great sound is a great sound. I've stopped using pedals. If I want some crunch without getting the neighbors mad I just crank the channel volume. Heavy as all get out for sure, but other than that I love everything about this, even the British Racing Green color. Although the white ones look great too. I am happy with the Green speaker, whether this is the "classic Vox sound" or not I like this sound whatever you call it.

dburns and Il Duce like this.

15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

I've only done this with a blue.

16. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Did I mention I've got a Vox Nightrain. They rock. The trannies are way overbuilt for these things and in part prob responsible for their incredible tone...which I concur is great down low at resonable volume levels.

3-Chord-Genius and bparnell57 like this.

17. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Anyone have/play the original ac10 amp, that had normal/trem inputs? Was just looking at a schematic of one, looks interesting.

18. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    Only thing is they all sound so "voxy". Had a 10 for about a week flipped it and got a 15. Took me a while to get the hang of it and then fell in love. Sold it to make another purchase but miss it and will have another one day.

19. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    ????? which was it?

20. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    MPLS
    He claims he could get an Alnico Blue fit in there by moving the tranny around but I think he is mistaken. First of all the Blue does not come in a 10" size. The 10 also just doesn't have enough space to fit such a deep speaker as the gold.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.