Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wow.. Vox!?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DRuss, Jun 15, 2017.

1. DRuss

DRuss TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2016
    US
    I don't know how in the world I've played for so long and never really paid much attention to Vox amps. Anyway I stumbled on some reviews of the Vox AC10c1 and was immediately captivated by that sound. So much so that I'be been trying to find one local for over a month to play in comparison to my Tweed Blues Jr but where I live it's looking impossible without just outright ordering one. I looked through some older threads up here on the AC10c1 and some even comparing it to the blues Jr and can tell the Vox seems to get a lot of praise!

I was wondering if this is still the general consensus since the AC10c1 has now been out for a while? What would be the most discernible differences in sound beteeen them (obviously different voicing with one being Fender and one Vox)? What turned me on to the Vox was the grittier/chimey sound and it seemed like they breakup easier or at lower volume than the Blues Jr. Now that's coming from hearing YouTube reviews through some good Bose computer speakers, so I'm wondering if those with hands on experience can confirm what I felt like I was hearing.

JBFatFingers likes this.

2. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Similar situation as you. Just recently became interested in Vox amps and after trying the AC15 and 10, I went with the AC10.

I'd say you should trust what your ears are hearing in the demos. I think it sounds much better than than the Blues Jr I used to have, and I'm not one of those who bashes the Jr...but the Vox just has more character. Really pleasing drive sound when cranked, even at lower volumes too.

DRuss likes this.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I've been toughting this for some time, now. A bit thin on the low end, but I couple one to a deluxe clone for that.
    I to was like you. I mean, I tried a few ACs in the nineties, but maybe the sound better now?
    Anyhoo, the real surprise for me was mine shines at the country pick' thing, more so than my fender clone.
    I was like 'wow, really?'

DRuss likes this.

4. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Long and short of it is that I've played Vox amps at music retailers and always thought that they sounded good, but never got around to getting one until recently, a AC30C2, and all that I can say is it's love at first strum! Go for it!

talkbox_64 and DRuss like this.

5. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    You can't really trust yer ears to you tube thou, regardless of the recording, it's more of a bit rate or something with u toob.
    The VOX only falls short in low end focus and tightness, but that's from a Fender amp guy. To my ears, they do not fall short as bad as naysayers would have you think.
    EQ pedal?

DRuss and Teleposer like this.

6. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    I've never played a real Vox amp. But for whatever my uninformed opinion is worth, my favourite amp sim on just about all the modeling software I've tried is the AC-30 without fail, bar the odd exception.

And now with the advent of the internet, I find that an awful lot of my fave guitarists have been using them for years. If I was going to buy one 'real' amp, it would be a Vox. In fact, I'm going to pick up one of the really small ones they do just as a bit of brand loyalty. I'm in!

I put a recording up of my Fender Mustang on a big thread at a forum somewhere (forget now), and someone chimed in that it sounded like the Edge and U2. I didn't know it at the time, but when I checked the sim it was on, yup, British 60's.

I love the warmth of this amp and its bite, coupled with the rich harmonics. I envy anyone who gets to own one AND play the damn thing somewhere where the noise is not too overpowering. I'm looking at the AC-15 range and considering my options.

Thank you amp modeling software and Fender in particular! You just sold a Vox amp! (My second choice would be a Fender amp though, if that counts for anything).

AAT65 and DRuss like this.

7. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

And fwiw, on my end I'm talking about the AC10 as a home amp that can also be used in a pinch as a backup, if you can mic it. Not saying it's better than the AC15, but for me just wanting a lightweight around the house/rehearsal amp it fits the bill perfect.

DRuss and Teleposer like this.

8. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I have successfully gigged AC 10 with a fairly heavy drummer and no mike, average size club( bar) You will have to do without clean headroom, but if your sound electrically is got grit to it, no prob.
    Prob is if the other guitarist has a 30 watt Mesa or something and wants to head cut'cha.
    This per last weeks gig.
    Micing is still an easier load out, than, say, a Twin RV.

DRuss likes this.

9. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I've said it before...

My vox AC15C1 is dollar for dollar the best sounding combo amp out there.

10. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Yeah I love those.

11. DRuss

DRuss TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2016
    US
    Man, you all are pretty much spot on with the impressions I've gotten just through internet research. Wish I would have stumbled on this a while ago. Don't get me wrong, I like my Blues Jr- it really shines (in my opinion) in the clean department but no matter how much I tweak I struggle to get a gritty/punchy breakup that I crave sometimes. Hmmm guess it wouldn't hurt to have a second amp right!?

12. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Boston/Cape Cod
    I have a number of Voxes, including a '66 AC-30 TTB, which sounds amazing but only if it is cranked and hot... can't do that too much these days.

My AC-15 gets the most use, and again, the more you push it, the better it sounds. Those who know what I mean will agree that there is a point where it "turns over"...

13. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Wouldn't trade my AC15C1 w/Celestion Blue anytime soon.

14. DRuss

DRuss TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2016
    US
    Wattage-wise the AC10c1 and AC15c1 are sooo close, so why would someone get one over the other? Just more volume in general? Just curious because in my case volume isn't really necessary with mostly playing in the house..

15. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    In my case, I prefer the 12 inch speaker on my AC15 (I'm perfectly happy with the greenback, fwiw). Seems to handle bass frequencies better than the 10 inch speaker on the AC10, at least in my opinion. I'm sure I could dial in an AC10 to my liking, but for me, the AC15 just has it right there.

Telefunked, AAT65 and fatcat like this.

16. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

If you're buying new, the difference is about $180, then there's also about a 20 lb weight difference. Those weren't the deciding factors for me (well maybe a little), as I said earlier I really just wanted to get the Vox sound in the simplest lightweight package that wasn't the AC4.

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Agree and I would go with the AC15C1 mainly because a Celestion Blue, Gold or Cream alnico, can be retrofitted to the amp without any modifications. Unfortunately, from the reports that I've read, a 10" Celestion Gold alnico won't fit into an AC10C1 neatly.

If you want the original/classic VOX tone, you need a Celestion alnico speaker, preferably the Blue.

18. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    For the alinco you need mearly to remove two tyranny screws, drill one new hole, and move it over, five minutes.
    Should fit as is by about an 1/8 inch. The blue anyways.

19. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Another advantage of the 15 over the 10 is that you get both the Normal and Top Boost channels with the 15 and only the Top Boost channel with the 10. At least that's what I've been led to believe. I have a AC30C2 and really like and use both channels.

Believer likes this.

20. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    MPLS
    Are you talking bout the AC10?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.