Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

WOW! 72 USD for a pickguard!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by mimmo, Dec 23, 2014.

1. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Planned to esquire my (hopefully soon-to-come CVC) and contacted callaham for a 3 ply parchment pickguard, and I am supposed to pay 72 USD + import taxes :eek:

Mybe it is not interesting, but I tought I would share it in case somenone is interested.

Cheers.

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Callaham bits are pricey
    But very -very good
    If you are looking for a bargain you chose the wrong place to order

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    If your going with parchment then there's no worries about having the official Fender mint green as opposed to the after market mint green. Parchment is parchment with little or no difference. Try these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telecaster-...546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19c5f439da

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pickgua...528?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53f858a8d8

4. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Thanks! It sounds waaaaay better ;)
    Will wait to have the guitar and taking some measurement.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI

6. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010

7. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

No measuring necessary. CVCs and CVs are all built with MIA specs. Any part that fits and MIA Fender will fit a CV or CVC. Those I linked or Warmoth are what you want. An Esquire pickguard shouldn't run you more than $30 USD tops. Go ahead and order one. It'll fit.

8. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    For whatever it's worth, when I Esquired my CV, I bought the GuitarFetish pickguard for $13.95+s/h. It is, however, one-ply and white, so not exactly what you specified. They may have what you want in stock. And it fit perfectly.

9. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Thx again guys, this forum is incredibile! And you are priceless...

10. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    That Callaham pickguard is $35 in the USA.

Not too bad for a really high quality item.

11. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Agree. Unfortunately Im in Europe

12. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    I trust you, so I ve just bought the one based in europe, shorter lead time and no import taxes. Now it is just question of putting everything together.
    And posting pics of course! ;)

13. KevinB

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yeah, I don't think Bill is too keen on selling outside the USA. Too many headaches for him.

Any part that fits a MIA Fender "should" fit a CV or CVC.

I once bought an Allparts Esquire pickguard for a MIM Classic 50's body. It was a horrible fit. The Callaham one fit like a glove.

14. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Ouch! Lol

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Unfortunately there are times when correct spec guards do not quite fit, usually because the body wood has shrunk a bit, or maybe for other reasons.
    Some pickguards actually shrink or warp as well, there's no guarantee that a more expensive guard will fit better, and any guard can fit one guitar well and another guitar poorly.
    Many times I have had to fill and redrill a guard screw hole in a body, move a screw hole 1/16" in a guard, or mount a guard and run a laminate trimmer around the neck pocket to make a guard fit right.
    This can happen with a USA Fender body and a USA Fender guard.
    Oddly I've found Strats more consistent, though the cutaway tips are often broken from over tightened screws.

16. STRAT'71

STRAT'71 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    Billinge, England
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014

17. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I think that's because yours is an MIM and I referred only to it fitting his Squier. I had the same problem with one for my '95 MIM. I had to trim the control plate cut out on that one to get a good fit. It beats me why the specs are different but for whatever reason they are.

I've ordered four pickguard so far for my CVC and Squier CV bases and one for a Squier Strat, some from China, and all have fit like a glove without any need for alterations. So all that I have to go on is my personal experience and so far I'm batting a thousand.

If I'm wrong mimmo can cuss me out and I'll have it coming. :D

18. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    LOL!!!!! Don t worry I ll let you know how the pickguard fits....;-)

19. KevinB

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    The Allparts and Callaham pickguards are all supposed to be cut to MIA standards. And that includes MIM and MIC Squiers. But of course sometimes you need a little sanding or trimming here and there. It's usually no big deal.

Anyway, I too hope mimmo's fits! :cool:

20. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Mimmo thanks you ALL!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.