Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wounded Seagull

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by murdude, Jul 9, 2018.

1. murdude

murdude Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    In a foolish attempt to rub out a very small dent in my new Seagull guitar, I inadvertantly dug my thumbnail into the cedar top. Anything I did to try to make it better, made it worse after that.
    Other than just "getting over it", does anyone have any suggestions on what could be done with the wound? Only thing worse is the beating up I am giving myself over it.

[​IMG]

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2018
    St. Louis
    Wow. That seems pretty extensive for a fingernail. I'm sure it can be repaired by a pro. Seems unlikely that it can be repaired without refinishing at least the top.

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    A repair of that will only make it look like a repair. At least the way it is now, it adds character.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I mean no disrespect, but Seagulls make great “beater” guitars.
    I’d live with it.
    I have seen, and sold them by the dozens.
    Most of em’ get beaten up because they are good “tools”.
    People play them, pass em’ around, and knock them around.
    I lived in Canada for about 12 years, and they seemed to be everywhere.
    Cedar is pretty soft wood.
    Like Mick Ronson said, “Play, dont worry!”

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    The first of many.. if you play a 'gull even in a modest "around the house" way the top is going to ding up, it's just the nature of the beast. I have owned at least a half dozen, bought used for little money as they simply don't look as good as the usual Yamaha, Tak or Ibanez after a few years.

murdude and telestratosonic like this.

6. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Willy approves:
    [​IMG]

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Is it that bad when you look at the entire top? We're sort of seeing a close up of the ding.

Best thing might be to just look past it. Someone would have to fill it in (I think) and the repair may look worse than the ding.

I'm fussy about guitars so I understand the concern but sometimes life just happens. Like I said; it can't be horrible when you look at the entire top.\

Don't freak out. ;)

murdude and drf64 like this.

8. murdude

murdude Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    Actually, at certain angles, I don't see the ding at all. And you are right, the picture makes it look worse than it really is.

studio1087 likes this.

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2008
    portland, or
    a small decal or sticker would work ... i would fill it with superglue first ...

murdude likes this.

10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I think I felt the same way when I got my first ding on my acoustic. Then I realized that here I was, taking this guitar with me literally all across the country to play, and it had to happen sometime. That’s when I started feeling better about it. I’m sorry it happened to yours but I think the best way to deal with it is just to play it. Consider it honest relicing, I guess.

murdude likes this.

11. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    Get it to the shop right away. The longer you take to get it fixed, the more tone will leak out. Sure, you can just keep refilling it, but tone gets expensive quickly... and in the meantime, it will continue to leave unsightly tone puddles wherever you park it.

12. Sarde

Sarde TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2016
    San Pedro, CA
    Maybe try steaming it out?

clintj and Artslap like this.

13. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    The first ding is always the worst. I recall reading a bit about dings by the great luthier Frank Ford. Frank wrote that if you play a guitar, it's going to get dinged. Don't worry about it. He also gave this advice: When you get a new guitar, lay it on the floor and stand over it with your keys in your hand. Then, drop your keys on the guitar. There, the first ding is out of the way and you can play the thing without worrying about it.

14. murdude

murdude Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    Some great comments, people. Thank you. Hopefully, I can survive this without having to go for therapy. o_O

15. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I’ve had 2 Seagulls and one Norman (also a Godin product), and they all had the soft cedar tops that dent really easy. Great sounding guitars, but they don’t stay great looking for long - unless you dig some honest wear. Didn’t ever bother me a lot. I say let it ride.

telestratosonic and murdude like this.

16. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Seagull's cedar tops are fragile. Mine is covered with dents like that. My two cents - get used to it.

stinkey, telestratosonic and murdude like this.

17. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    Like you, yourself said, "get over it". The older it gets, the cooler it gets.

telestratosonic and murdude like this.

18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Welcome to the "Willie Nelson Trigger Club" but I'd say you have a long way yet to go to get that worn-in look!!

While Cedar is warm, its also soft so, along with the super-thin satin finish, its the nature of the Seagull beast. IMHO, this little divot is looks minor and likely the first of a few more to follow.

If its upsetting, maybe trim yer nails closer before you play it again?

murdude likes this.

19. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    A wise man once said, "Some Turtle Wax will buff that right out."

murdude likes this.

20. murdude

murdude Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    Is spruce a harder wood than cedar?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.