Wound 3rd

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PaDaWa, Mar 12, 2019.

1. bumnote

bumnote TDPRI Member

I've used a wound 3rd for years, an 18. I'm a bit heavy handed and the unwound 3rd is way to harsh sounding with my playing...throw in vintage staggered Strat pickups and it's unpleasant.
    Ernie Ball has a great set in 10's. I used them for a long time.
    I now order them from https://www.stringjoy.com . They're a bit more expensive, $12 a set, but you can customize the gauge for each string. Want 11-38's with a wound 3rd, no problem...9-56's just select the gauge for each string. They also keep that "new string" sound a lot longer than every brand I've tried. They remind me of those "Snake Oil" strings from years ago...except Stringjoy ships your order out within a day or two of you ordering them.
    I've been ordering from them for a little over a year and love 'em. To me they're worth the extra $3 a set.

2. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

and, a wound 3rd can create a problem if it is getting pinched in the nut! ouch!
    i buy individual wound 3rds when i need them for my es125 guitars. much cheaper than a customized set.

play music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.