Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Would you still attend...

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Achysklic, Jul 2, 2017.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    Our leadership wants our older saints to be a vital part of our congregation. That desire is made very difficult because there is a very vocal contingent within their ranks that is completely inflexible and unwilling to compromise. Its like the past refusing to make room for the future. Its very sad. What do you do though when literally hundreds of people just stop going to your first Sunday service at 9:00 and go to the church down the road because the have an energetic contemporary service or crowd into your second service and totally overload your childcare volunteers?

2. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2012
    Birmingham Alabama
    Pet peeves for me also to see this. Players who as soon as they get off stage are out the door is something I flat cant stand to see! Exceptions would be working somewhere else in the Church or a younger player going to youth service after worship but otherwise if you won't stay in the service you don't need to PLAY!!

dmitri and Boltneck like this.

3. islander

islander Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2012
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    A little of column A and a little of column B.
    Currently, not playing until I have found a church for me and my family. The last church imploded, setting us on a new quest. As it was we spent the better part of a year there until I couldn't deny the calling to get involved. Then it became apparent that the leadership was struggling in ways we couldn't support, we had to move on.
    The church before was probably one of the top couple musical experiences within the church, but on a regular basis. This was coupled with amazing messages, it seemed so great. Strangely also coupled with a low time for myself in my personal walk. Part of the difficulty of that church, it was Sunday Morning focused with little going on outside of that. It soon had a feeling that I was valued for little else than the cool riffing and musical ability. We were really left alone in our spiritual walk. I still talk with them every now and then, but really, I don't see personal growth happening there, and it is in another town. It was a place for us and our hearts for a time, but it was time to move on.
    Before than, I went through a time of figuring out my calling, the inevitable youth minister, or just a guy hanging out and actively involved. I and not called to full time paid guy, that much I know. I also know that for me, music is important, speaking is important, but the way to grow and stay close, that is the key. I have no problem sitting and spending time figuring it all out. The nice thing in the church that we are currently attending, the guys know who I am an even look up to me as a Christian musician, (which is easy in a small city), but they have zero pressure to get involved.
    They might be the right fit after all this for the next section of our life here. In the mean time, my sampler, and recordings serve enough to keep my personal playing needs in check. I miss the great music highs I have experienced, but not that much when I think about the personal costs associated with being in those particular circumstances.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. islander

islander Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2012
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    I guess the short answer is, if it were the right church, I would be there, playing music or not.

Boltneck likes this.

6. Boltneck

Boltneck TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Poquoson Va.

7. Boltneck

Boltneck TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Poquoson Va.
    I have experienced this myself and have prayed about it and continue to lift it up. To those I could share with I said that we cannot afford to turn so many away because of such a small matter as to what instruments are used to glorify God. Personally, I like all of it, choirs and praise and worship teams. They co-exist very well in so many places..why not here? Is it control? Is that more important than the Gospel? No way. I am seeing the Lord working with us, we are improving ,it's not easy cause he can only work with the material he's got. A bunch of cement minds ( thoroughly mixed and well set)- Prayer is your answer, the only way to change those minds. -Sorry I didn't get this post in with your quote Capn

8. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Yea, stuff happens - I've had to run out the door after worship because of family emergencies, or a few times to make a flight for work, or whatever... it is the pattern that kills me. The sermon is important.

9. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2015
    Orygun
    There's always a recession song where I play and attend...

10. HannibalTheCrow

HannibalTheCrow TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I play lead guitar in our Worship band, but i didn't in the beginning. I am a retired old road player that loves to play. So one day the pastor asked "what do you think is your special gift from God?" My wife immediately spoke up and said "you should hear him play guitar" so I was asked to bring my old strat and sit in. Well, a year later and Im still there playing and it has been a blessing. But, to answer your question. I wouldn't change churches period, playing or not. I love our church and our brothers and sisters too much to give them up just for the sake of playing my old strat on sunday.

Daniel94, Boltneck and Wildwind like this.

11. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    This assumes attendance is somehow important...

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    A church should think twice before allowing me in the band or the pews.
    Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.
    " I sound like Bo Diddely"
    "No, no, that's exactly what we want"
    Yeah...right

GoldieLocks likes this.

13. Wildwind

Wildwind TDPRI Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Lansing, Michigan
    Very cool story, Hannibal! God bless you, brother! As he has with a wife who is a fan - once married to one who was not, despite my skills and fruit. Very long story...

14. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2004
    Newly Indiana
    Yes it does...because it is.

davidwhitson likes this.

15. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Ok
    Agreed

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

16. eedwards

eedwards Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    My wife and I moved to this church in 2004 and had shopped other churches in the area. Theology and connection were the driving considerations. While I have played at every church where I worshiped long-term, I don't consider it to be necessary. (I have also *not* played for a significant time at every church I've attended) I consider it to be service I get to be a part of in the place where I am already worshiping, same as mission projects or other areas of service.

I don't say that I would never change churches based on being asked to play elsewhere, but I also cannot imagine that ever happening. It would never be the sole factor, or even the major factor determining where I attend. God can move me, but it has to be more than music.

Boltneck likes this.

17. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    I would still go.. But some weeks I sure would like to skip, especially after playing a late saturday night gig.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.