Would you spend $500 for a set of Fender Strat pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by grolan1, Mar 14, 2019.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

If I ever get a Strat, my answer would be no.

2. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

The most I've spent for a set of pickups is $320 for a pair of TV Jones T-Armonds, so I'm no stranger to high dollar pickups. But these were for my $2100 Gretsch 6120DSW, and they really made the guitar much better tone-wise (versus the stock Gretsch pickups).

I can see paying good money for pickups IF they deliver the tone and performance you seek. I really do not care if a person hand wound them or they were fabricated on a machine with a robot. If they're good, they're good. If there are cheaper alternatives that sound good, then the market respond accordingly.

3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

No. Lindy fralin pickups are the top of my price range, and in reality, I've gotten some really nice sounding foreign alnico V pickguards loaded already for $50 (two or three pickups and a pickguard).

There are hand winders in russia and probably in the US who do really nice custom pickups and provide the spec for $30 a pickup or so, too.

I don't think anyone will be paying extra for those fender pickups in fifty years because nobody will know what they are and the guy won't be a current pickup winder, but I'm sure people call fender asking for more exclusive parts, and they need to have that pricing tier and line to service it. A simple single coil pickup is just a really weird place to go high dollar.

4. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

The basic Fender Alnico V sets that used to come on the American Standard series of strats from the mid-90’s to early 2000’s or so. The ones before they started using Fat 50’s. Terrific and really versatile strat pickup set. Easily found for $80-90, with patience $60-70. :D

Cheshiergrin likes this.
  5. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

No....don't think they would help me....every Strat I play sounds the same when I get done with it...:eek:

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

True, people seem perfectly willing to drop $600 on a set of super perfect PAF clones, and I bet they're not even hand signed.

7. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

No way no how

8. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

For £450, I could rig something up and get enough raw materials to learn to wind my own...

But if I wasn't a chronic tinkerer and they were going in a £3k Custom Shop guitar, why not?

Greggorios likes this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Because a fool and his money are soon departed.

DHart and Greggorios like this.
  10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Not defending that, either - but there's a lot more to a good paf than a single coil pickup, and there seems to be a gaggle of hand winders who aren't making pafs because of it.

Everyone has their preference, but I've never heard anything better than the duncan antiquity for a vintage paf sound, and I've never heard hot pafs better than tokais hot MK2s - so I'm not a buyer for expensive pafs, either.

I don't know who buys that stuff - are there recording guys who are looking for something really specific that producers prefer, or are they going to corner office purchasers?

11. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

Nope.

12. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

No.

13. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

There are more parts to a PAF, but there isn't much more to them. In fact the steel parts tend to homogenize them, because the high permeability and conductivity, relative to single coils which can have steel or different grades of AlNiCo in their cores, which results in a wider range of variance in Q factor and magnetic strengths. That why you never get "Stratitus" with PAF clones, they have a much narrower operational range, even if you stick a double thick ceramic in there.

Also I don't think PAFs were ever hand wound, either. The famous Leesona winder they used had its own traverse. So now they talk about how magical the Leesona's traverse was, and how it makes a PAF sound so heavenly, yet machine wound single coils still get pooped on, because guitarists are such a logical bunch.

DHart and rigatele like this.
  14. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

A bargain at twice the price!

Okay, maybe not exactly, but IIRC, a friend's Custom Shop Mary Kaye Strat has a set of pickups wound by this woman, and they are UNGODLY good. If I had another Strat to drop some pickups in, I'd buy them with gusto (my fiancee would understand the two months of Ramen-Noodle-dinners that would immediately follow)

Blue Bill likes this.
  15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'm waiting for the true best paf, then, I guess.

Maybe we can name it after fermat.

Fermat's last paf. I once had the procedure written down to make it, but couldn't fit it in the margin of my notebook.

16. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

Nope. Tried that with three hundred dollar lollars. Never again, they are no different than a, set of $70 rose pickups

17. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Put a set of Rose Robustas in my Strat, I was done looking for Strat pickups. Sounded just like I thought a Strat should at less than $75. Ken wound me a Buff Beauty bridge/Robusta neck for my "Prinz" Tele, they sound terrific. I installed Bootstrap P90's in my Epi Blueshawk, awesome.

Three guitars worth of pickups for less than the set being discussed. Those sound great too, but I think real gems are out there for way less, just gotta look for em. Thank you TDPRI!

bo likes this.
  18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

No

19. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

no, there's nothing more to a good PAF than there is to a good single coil. humbuckers are just conjoined single coils, with more parts to fiddle with during construction. due to those added parts, cost of build goes up along with scale of economies. i also think that a fair number of winders simply prefer single coils over duals - color me guilty.

DHart, DougM, Blue Bill and 1 other person like this.
  20. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

only if there was a waiting list and people on a forum told me they were the best.

Steve 78 and basdenchris like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.