Would you spend $500 for a set of Fender Strat pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by grolan1, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:09 AM.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I ain't no rock n roll dentist (I hope). I don't buy a guitar as a means of an investment. I buy something that's basically a tool to be played.

And I bet that in a double blind with comparable Bootstraps or Cavaliers, you wouldn't be able to determine which is which.

Investment value be damned, IMO.

zippofan likes this.
  2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

I have two teles. One has Don Mare Supersports bought used, sounds great. The other has unidentifiable pickups out of Mellecaster's parts bin, also sounds great in a partocaster he sold me fo $166. I'll pass on $500 sets.

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

At that price, I'd have to play them to decide.

If they clearly smoked anything else for my needs...sure. That's not far outside of Duncan Custom Shop made-to-order prices...and you've got a better chance of being able to return the Fenders if they don't satisfy, plus you don't have to wait two months for them to be made. $500 isn't a TON of money to get the best Strat tone I've ever heard (if that was, indeed, how they sounded to me).

I can say right now that I don't value an overwound bridge pickup or a RW/RP middle, though. If anything, I'd want three neck models or three bridge models to make up a set.

And I can also say that what's out there from the typical aftermarket pickup companies doesn't leave me wanting for anything. The DiMarzio Red Velvet and True Velvet satisfy, and then some.

Bottom line: It depends on how they sound. These Fenders would have to seriously smack around what's already out there in order for me to bite...but if they did, I wouldn't hate myself for buying them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 5:20 PM
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

No ... Maybe if they used pure gold wire ...

Dismalhead likes this.
  5. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

No, though I am contemplating buying a set of SD Antiquity humbuckers for my LP at $400 - $500. That's aussie dollars. Over there it would be more like $270 I think. <sigh>

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

No, but I’ve spent around that sum to get me vintage DeArmonds :cool: (or :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:)

7. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I'd sooner spend 2k on a Klon.

CFFF likes this.
  8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Do they limit you to just one set?:rolleyes:

CFFF likes this.
  9. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

And now it is time for a little music.

10. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

I don't even spend $500 on a strat…..

….good sounding pickups,though.

Grateful Ape and zippofan like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely not. That's moronic.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

fenderchamp likes this.
  13. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Last time I did, they were attached to the Strat in my icon. The rest of the guitar was thrown in for just a wee bit more.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

That's the problem - strat pickups will always sounds like strat pickups, regardless of price. For something to be $500 better than the competition, it would have to be so far above and beyond what exists currently that it wouldn't even sound like a strat pickup.

15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I would.

I wouldn't pay 4K for that off-yellow lookin' custom shop strat though. The stock pickups in my '54 AV sound good, but don't have that heavy handed over-articulate thing goin' on that some of the vintage pickups have. I'd rather get that sound out the bat than try to scour through which budget pickup does it best. That said, do they sound as articulate as a set of '57/'62's that I had, eh, dunno. And, those 57/62's were like a hundred for the whole set.

But, $500 bucks to get a particular flavor (if it's guaranteed & returnable) I don't mind. I got a set of $500 humbuckers for nothing recently and to be honest I would probably pay to get those pickups if they didn't come to my doorstep after having compared them to other stuff in the parts bin. They just have a very specific flavor.

I'm not looking for "In your face" superiority, at a vintage style thing I'm wondering how close it sounds to that old Johnny Watson record etc. It's not necessarily "better" sounding, just a different flavor. Could it be had cheaper? Probably, but that's a lot of research. I'm sorry but not just any old "insert magnet type " "insert resistance" spec'd pickup sounds like that.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 10:47 PM
  16. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Yes. Why not? I have expensive gear, not because I’m good or great or believe that gear makes a great player. Rather, I’ve spent sooooo much money on trying to find “the tone” or my tone, then I realized that instead of buying cheaper gear to get the sound of the boutique pedal I couldn’t afford, then selling at a loss, then repeating, I finally realized it would be cheaper in the long run to simply buy the gear I want even if that means having to save or wait a bit longer to get something. I’m not saying I would buy those pups, but if I thought they would be cool to have, which I think they would be, then I might probably would buy them. I hope they don’t offer them in a Tele, though, because then I might not be able to resist it.

rangercaster likes this.
  17. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I bet I could find 2 really good, complete Strats for $500.

MIM Strats are going for about $250 used, I think.

18. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

if one really understands what a "hand wound" pickup is really all about - no matter who or what is the winder - one will quickly realize how many enormous bucket fulls of magic koolaid is being drunk by too many po' folk.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:45 AM
    Jimmy Owen and Miseria like this.
  19. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Rob DiStefano and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

They are expensive because tomatillos are out of season at the moment and supply is low. Wait until May-June when the new crops arrive. The supermarket shelves will be full of them and the price will drop to something more realistic.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.