Would you spend $25,250 for remodeling a single shower?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tenderfoot, May 1, 2018.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

When to my neighborhood home improvement store the other day inquiring about getting my current shower removed and a new one installed. They bird dogged me to a remodeling company here in Texas. Well, today their representative sat down with me and the wife for 2 hours with the first hour being the initial sales pitch about his company’s track record in Texas and being the best of the best.

Everything about his company seemed to be on the up and up (at least by the documents being presented) but the wife was getting bored and wanted to cut to the chase and see the sample materials and most of all the cost.

After 45 minutes of looking at tile and general design of the proposed shower, a cost of $25,205 was presented with 30% down. I could tell he saw sticker shock on both the wife’s and my face and without blinking an eye offered a 15% discount and 0% financing for 24 months. I told him that the price was way beyond what I had expected; he countered by asking what I was expecting to pay? I told him $7,000 to $10,000 but even that would be what I considered a high costs even with a number one company, finest materials, dedicated project crew and the 20 year guarantee.

When he realized that getting a sale was most likely (if not entirely) impossible he was kind enough to give me some pointers on how I might do the shower replacement on my own, i.e., purchasing materials from the same source they used and avoid the markups and hire reputable handymen.

My daughter who is in the real estate business happened to show up at the end of the meeting with the contractor and after finding out what I was wanting to do, contacted her connections in the home construction side of her builder and got me a $3,000 to $4000 over the phone estimate. Will be meeting with the construction manager this Friday afternoon for an onsite estimate.

If you have remodeled your bath, replacing the shower, what kind of cost did you incur for the job?

Thanks

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have experienced that particular sales job multiple times during our full-scale home reno project, and every single time my answer was "it can't be that hard, I'll do it myself" -
    30,000 to replace all the windows in our home...Nope. That was not including exterior or interior trim. But boy were they a "top notch" company.

$6k materials cost for actual high-end windows with every option that we wanted, and four days to replace all 18 with my father's help. My dad works for food and the occasional fun excursion. So yeah, four days of my time saved a solid 24,000 dollars.
    Any company that would charge 25k for a new shower is a compan you should never contact again.

Construction biz is a racket like no other. Makes auto mechanics look like boy scouts.

LocoTex likes this.
  3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had mine in the basement done for about $2,000, but I did the demo and laid the floor.

He didn't charge for cutting through the hot water pipe with his sawzall -- or for the free vocabulary lesson he taught my daughter, who heard him up on the second floor.

Obsessed, marc2211 and drf64 like this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Full mud job ? Cement board on the walls and mud pan ? Corner or shelf seat ? Euro-glass door ? Porcelain or stone ? Decos/feature stripes/design on any of the walls ? 2 or three stone corner shelves ? Nice stone curb and mosaic shower floor ?

It varies.

I usually do everything and sub out the glass and the plumbing, so a dedicated glass company and master plumber do their thing - I do all the rest including rot repairs if necessary. $3k-$4k is right there in the ballpark. For my end of things.

Depending on materials and added plumbing ? You could be knocking on $9,000-$10,000 before you batted an eye.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

$25k is inasne, $3k-$4k sounds dangerously cheap. Depending on the square footage and materials/fixtures used, $6k-$8k would be reasonable. Or do it yourself. I redid our kitchen 2 years ago, saved a ton of money, got it done a lot quicker and looked like a superhero to my GF. Next project is the bathroom as soon as I get done replacing all the trim, adding crown molding and painting the interior.

ruger9 and 68tele like this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

just did a 22 x 18 MBR addition last summer for about $15,000 (estimates where 40-60K)..did it all myself tho...never again..last one ever...came out great but i just don't have the time, so mad i didn't do a studio while i was at it and had the whole place tore up..was in construction as project manager for many years,,,a good general rule of thumb for contractors, will be 1/3 materials. 1/3 labor, 1/3 builder profit

7. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

25k! :eek:

Currently do a complete remodel on one of the cottages we have on our property. It's gonna be for the mother in law and she's footing the bill. We've set a budget of 25k (NZ dollars!) for the whole job, not just a complete bathroom/shower remodel.

Complete new kitchen set up - it's not very big - is estimated about 6 grand. The bathroom is going to incorporate a wet area walk in shower with new vanity, shifting the toilet to accompany a laundry tub (sink) and washing machine.

New windows going in one of the bedrooms, carpet throughout most of the place, with wooden overlay flooring for the kitchen, entrance and a sort of dining area in the lounge.

I have done all the demo work, and will do all the interior finishing - plastering, painting wall papering etc., as well as flooring (not carpet).

Got electricians here today shifting light switches, power point etc, new electrical board, and there's also a builder here putting in the new windows. Will get him to knock up a new wall to extend the bathroom size to incorporate the laundry in there, and fit a new front door. Apart from that I'll take care of the rest of construction work, but may get him to help me install new kitset kitchen when ready.

As for the bathroom and shower area, we will use a contractor to do the wet area floor construction for special vinyl. I'll do all the lining of walls etc and finishing work. We haven't nailed an exact cost of the bathroom/shower area yet, but I'll try to keep you posted when we get near finishing.

It's a BIG job overall (a bit of exterior work to sort out as well), but it's gonna be a lot of fun? :D

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

25K!!???!!!!! What are you, Donald Trump with a gold WC? :eek:

For most people that's a new kitchen with marble and real wood cabinets, bathroom and ensuite!

9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

or a '54 Strat

10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Do you live in a "wealthy" area ? I find that estimates are adjusted to the median income, we live down the street from a large gated community in what was originally the housing for the "help". Since we are in the same zip code prices are often "adjusted" accordingly. You really need to ask around.

I had estimates for a small town home deck (16x16) using normal lumber..10 to 12k, when I could get some one out. They were also "top notch" 10 stars etc. etc. A friend of mine who owns a small home building company in a less prosperous area did it as a side job for 6K, including some outside engineering/design work to avoid having a spider web of supports underneath ( the design is now an approved "alternative" to meet state and county code). And a new roof to the existing garden shed.

The only drawback was he fit it in as he could around bigger jobs so it took the best part of a summer.

I also had some gilt edge estimates for HVAC work a few years back, one was nearly 15K for a small 3 story town house, using two units, etc. It probably could have turned the upstairs into a freezer which is apparently what many people want, but we found a basic functional system for around 5k.

uriah1 likes this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Maybe. Am I wealthy in this scenario?

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I oversaw a ton of remodels of condo units. It's amazing how little difference in appearance there can be between a bathroom done with high end big box materials and a custom stone company's low end finishes...and how HUGE the cost difference can be.

Around here a very nice, moderately sized room, double sink vanity, nice cabinets, nice tile and standing glass enclosure might be around 6k-8k...maybe 10k if you pick some higher zoot stone.

13. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Thanks, Bones. The price is low because my daughter gets the (labor) time and materials for actual cost:)

14. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Thanks CK Dexter Haven. Yes there are million dollar plus homes within 5 minutes of where I live. But like you, although i share the same zip code my home is only a third of those homes.

15. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Thanks ndcaster. You would think I was taken for someone of wealth like Trump but no such luck. Nothing against Strat's but I would prefer a 54 Tele:)

16. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

That’s more than I spent on my first house. I’m glad you got another estimate.

17. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Good points William tele, thanks!

18. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Geeze. I was planning on doing mine for under a grand.

19. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

20. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Hi gobi grey. Getting anything for $1 grand might be a challenge, but please let me know how things turn out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.