Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Would You Send This Body Back??????

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Noeski, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Noeski

Noeski TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Melbourne
    Hey,

Maybe I'm being a bit precious about this build that I have commissioned, but after a couple of months wait for the wood to arrive it turns out like this...

I am going for a (not very cheap) 'Micawber' replica so a nice clear Butterscotch finish is planned, but I just can't help thinking that this ugly blemish is all I'm going to notice for the next 20 years when I play this thing...

WOULD YOU SEND THIS BODY BACK???

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Noeski

Noeski TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Melbourne
    Pics showing up at my end...

??????????????

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    It wouldn't bother me in the least, but it's your guitar. I'd look at it as character. If you play the guitar it won't bother anything, and will soon have many (far worse) imperfections- scratches, nicks, dents, etc.. On the other hand, if you study it and focus on a spot, you'll never be happy.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    There is nothing wrong there. It's a natural material, not a piece of plastic with no interest. If every 1 piece body was discarded because of things like that, then bodies would be a 1000 dollars each.

6. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Wouldn't bother me.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Looks like wood. :)

You'll be surprised how much it evens out with some lacquer on it.

8. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Apr 3, 2011
    smyrna tn
    Do you like everything else about it? If you do I'll bet that little spot won't bother you for long. And it's really going to blend in alot more when finished.

9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Leo Fender would have used it .

10. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    Is it just marbling in the wood or has someone attempted a repair (which is what it looks like in the last photo)?
    If a builder has sent you a body with a noticeable repaired blem without getting your agreement first, then yes, I'd send it back.

11. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    It would hardly be noticible if filled and then finished in butterscotch. Like the grain on the back. Back should have been the front.

12. Chocklit_Thunda

Chocklit_Thunda TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Benoni, South Africa
    I think blemishes like that add character... My pine Tele build has a pinkish "skunk stripe" line down the back... I think it looks cool :)
    My cort Yorktown has a blemish on the back near the bottom.... I love it! It matches perfectly with the girl I named it after who had a birth mark right under her bum where we thigh begins :)

It's all about character and having a unique instrument. If it bothers you, tell people you got it when you used it to bash a werewolf on the head or something :)

13. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    People will not notice it once it is finished.

14. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    It's part of the wood. There are flecks and specks on the back too. You are being obsessive. Your guitar is going to have 5 strings and you are worrying about a natural anomaly in a a piece of wood?

15. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    what blemish….. ? If ya order a piece of wood, and it arrives with the character one would find in wood…..

Ron kirn

16. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2010
    Canada, Québec
    I think it looks great.

17. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Aug 12, 2011
    Scotland, UK
    Exactly. If it is good enough for Leo...
    It personally wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

18. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2009
    Hills of Arkansas
    Send it back. It will only bug you more as time passes. You will see it everytime you look down at your guitar.

19. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

It's awful... Send it directly to me!!! :cool:

20. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2009
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I wouldn't mind the body but your bridge is missing a saddle ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.