Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you rather have

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Achysklic, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    Would you rather have a more expensive guitar and a cheaper amp or a higher end amp and cheap guitar?

2. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Lansing, Michigan
    I would go with more amp because that's what you hear. Although I wouldn't go too cheap on the guitar either. If your budget can't get both of the one's you want, I would save some more money.

Just my two cents.

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    This is the age old question.

Pondered many times here.

I will always believe one should go with the higher end amp.

An affordable guitar will can sound good through the that amp.

Where as a higher end guitar will not sound as good through the more affordable amp.

But it's all relative and subjective.
    Especially when used gear is considered.

My most recent aquisitions walk the line right through the middle of this guitar/amp question.

I recently got a Epiphone es339 pro and a Vox AC4-1x12.

Both were within $50 USD of the same price. I should mention the 339 was on sale.

Quality and tones were better than my expectations.

I can't say enough good about them.

ROADMAN likes this.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Expensive is relative. Cheap is relative.

With the explosion of very affordable digital and solid state amps, and the upswing in quality for the MIM guitars, one could argue you can have both for not much scratch.

Will it sound like a vintage, 52 Tele run through a vintage high-power twin, turned up loud to let the tubes cook? No.

Standing on stage, playing to a rowdy crowd, rocking the classics, will 99 of 100 people know the difference? No.

It all down to what makes you happy. I have Baja (mid priced guitar? inexpensive guitar?) and a Mustang III (inexpensive amp) and they make me happy. At least happy enough to scratch the itch. I could probably get some "better tones" from a tube amp and some pedals, but I don't have much opportunity to play loud enough to get those tones, so what's the point?

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I’d rather have a posh guitar.
    My amp of choice (Roland Cube 80XL) is cheap.
    I’d rather have it than a Dumble.
    Really.

6. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    This man conjured great tone out of a cheap amp, a cheap guitar and his fingers:

[​IMG]

7. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    I would go the more expensive guitar route.
    I know it does not make much sense but I really enjoy having my hands on a good quality instrument. I agree that today you can get a (rather) good sounding amp for not much and would be more than happy with that combo and start saving enough money to upgrade the amp, one day.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'm gonna need to know the exact price ranges we're talking about.

Fiesta Red and unixfish like this.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I can't justify the expensive amp because I'm not gigging. For me, expensive for the amp means getting into $750 to $1,200 territory.

The guitars I play all the time without even plugging in, so I can justify the money.

That being said, my only "expensive" guitar is a $900 Thinline.

10. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    All other things being the same the amp and the pickups make most of the sound. I'd spend my money more on the amp. Guitars can be easily upgraded too if you want to. The new breed of digital amps changes this a little though. If we're talking about traditional amps and guitars I'd say spend your money on the amp. If you happy with a Boss Katana for example you might want to think again.

Straydogger likes this.

11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Great guitars may be harder to find than great amps ?

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    No question, great guitar. Cheap amps are fine with me, but then again, I play da blues. If I need loud at a gig, I go cheap SS, because it ain't going to make much difference. At home, spendy tube amps are too loud anyway.

13. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Holic

May 3, 2016
    In the South

14. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    I used to go by the school of thought high end mim into a vintage deluxe or super reverb was the best. But I have a new av52 and plug it into a Monoprice 15w and get a pretty darn good sound....I lean now more to having a nicer guitar.

Obsessed likes this.

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Holic

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'd rather have an Aston Martin, but somewhere along the line reality sets in. I buy 'pre-loved' guitars. None cost me more than $1200. I have a Mesa Boogie amp, considered high end by some, but priced well below $1200 when the specifications for the model I bought changed. I think you need to get a guitar that sounds good to you and plays well with an amp that lets the tone of your guitar shine through. Some of the really good new SS amps remove some of the cost from the amp allowing a little more money for the guitar. But we're not Congress. We don't have someone else to foot the bill for our foolishness. Musicians I know spend what they need to spend to get the gear they need and usually make pretty good choices. If you buy 'pre-loved', your occasional mistakes don't have to be too costly.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    The popularity of the Boss Katana seems to answer that question. I use a 1972 Deluxe Reverb I bought for $200 in the early 80's. I don't if it's high end or not but it works for me. I have 66 Bandmaster and custom made 10 watter as well. I don't have any expensive guitars. $1899 would be the most I've ever paid.

Georox and kuvash like this.

17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    I spent more on my Mission 5E3 kit build than have on any of my guitars. Modern CNC woodworking technology makes very good guitars pretty inexpensive. Individual personal preference is the test.

JL_LI likes this.

18. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    'Expensive' but great sounding guitar every time. No matter where you take it or who you play with, it will always sound as good as you are capable of making it sound .....and nothing much else to carry.

Expensive amp? Sorry you can't generally take those things every where you go for obvious reasons, and your 'low end' guitar will always sound just that. Even the best of amps can't turn Chicken poop into Chicken salad. ....relatively speaking. .... and whose going to carry your guitar anyway?

I do know however that some less expensive guitars e.g. some LP Juniors, and some MIM Teles for instance, can perform brilliantly in all kinds of scenarios whilst some lower cost amps - both tube or SS are amazingly good.

Lots to ponder here ..... unless of course you are a dedicated vintage acoustic only player, in which case 'Expensive' would be your only choice.

Tomorrow I may change my mind......

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    DougM and JL_LI like this.

19. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    i play cheap guitars (squiers) through cheap tube amps and there's nothing wrong with my tone. my playing is another thing, but i like it. you can set up a cheap guitar well and swap out what you don't like for small cash no problem.
    but if i had to choose, i'd go with a nicer guitar given that you can get a great sound from a cheap amp nowadays.

Piggy Stu likes this.

20. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I'll take an expensive amp every time over a guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.