Would you rather... Brad Paisley road worn signature or Wildwood thin skin Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by augustwest, Jun 18, 2019.

1. augustwest

augustwest Tele-Meister

I’m itching for Tele again. I like beefy necks and light guitars.

I was considering other Road Worn models, but I’d probably want to change the pickups in other RWs. The only thing I’d change on the Paisley would be the pickguard and maybe the saddles. I’ve read there is inconsistency in the bridge alignment and nut slot work on the BPs.

I can try the BP locally, but I’d probably try to get a used one from Reverb to keep cost down.

The Thin Skins look awesome, I might find one on Reverb or go new from Wildwood. Obviously the Thin Skin costs more. Looking for recommendations between these, or other Teles (Fender or not).

Thanks

Greggorios likes this.
  2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If the budget is there I'm not sure how I'd think the BP could compare to the Wildwood.. the wildwood guitars are much higher end.. aren't they one step shy of custom shop guitars? Are they technically Custom Shop? I thought this process was Wildwood basically putting in a order for a bunch of guitars through the Custom Shop. The BP guitar is an upgraded MIM.

The Wildwoods are available in different options too.. different necks, fretboard choice, finishes, pickup choices.. (50s or 60s, etc..)

Obviously trying is deciding though...

Greggorios and gitarjoe like this.
  3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I utterly despise the neck on the paisley, but from your post I'm guessing it might well be your thing. Cool guitar actually apart form my personal preference :)

4. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

There will be a price difference,and there should be. The wildwood is a better guitar. I have a wildwood 10,and a thin skin. The thin skin is nearly as good. Isn't the paisly model basicly a Baja?.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

That BP is cheesy to me. I played one and have to say my builds will kill that thing. Get a wildwood if you can. Or even a Roadworn.

hotrodkid and Greggorios like this.
  6. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wildwood.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. augustwest

augustwest Tele-Meister

I see the Paisley as cheesy until you get a mint or aged white pickguard on it. It seems like a roadworn with pickups more to my liking and guaranteed light body and beefy neck.

But, it seems that comparing to a guitar that $1k more isn’t fair. If I’m going Wildwood thin skin I might as well explore Kirn and G&L Custom Shop.

8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I had a Paisley and just couldn't deal with the feather light body, but since you like that... You can get them cheap too. I think I only got about $550 for mine.

9. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

jsp737 and Greggorios like this.
  10. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

wildwood hands down, hate that fake arm wear on BP

11. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Thinner finish costs more. Welcome to the world of assembly-line guitar production. Now it costs more to avoid the extra layers of iffy-goo pseudo-nitro that robo-luthiers blast on everything else. I'm due for a Tele style, but as a brand, Fender has absolutely zero appeal to me anymore and since I really don't like to patronize uncreative copyists, I'll probably just keep the cash in the bank and do without.

12. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

http://www.ronkirn.com/

Get the neck you want, the finish you want the electronics you want and at a reasonable price.

dustoff and Greggorios like this.
  13. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

If the Paisley didn't have that sanded down area it would be one of my first picks. At my age light is good.....and the neck feels great to me.

14. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Its not really a fair comparison as the Thin Skin is in a much higher price range.

I have a BP and I like it but it didn't quite live up to the hype and I prefer the 50's Baja neck.

The BP is still a good guitar for a much cheaper price than a Thin Skin. I get lets of comments on the Silver Sparkle finish.

Cheers

15. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1, check out Ron's basic models.

16. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm in agreement with some of the others. This is really comparing oranges and kumquats...different animals. If you're looking at Thin Skins you're edging into the $2K area. Once you're in that neighborhood you can start looking at Kirn's, Nash's, K-Lines if you have any interest in the custom or semi custom instruments. If you want a Fender guitar and want to stay in the $1K area then any of the higher end Mexican guitars (50's and 60s classics, classic players, bajas, etc.) are all excellent guitars for the money. If you look at the individual specs on these guitars you have a variety of features, necks, pickups, etc to pick from.

Good luck. Enjoy the search.

17. Five Fingers

Five Fingers Tele-Afflicted

If that is the choice, then it's the Wildwood for me. You gotta respect yourself!

18. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

You should build yourself a nice Tele. You can have what you want for a lot less. Having a name on that headstock means nothing in terms of being a good guitar. And resale on some of the names mentioned here is not that good. Having Fender on the headstock helps with that for sure...but it won’t make it sound better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.