Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Would you punch Keef like Chuck did?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jumbotronic, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:25 PM.

Deck Keef?

1. Yea

2. Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    He's lucky Keith didn't have a Tele in his hands. We've seen Keith swing one of those.

2. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Keith ain't exactly a Men's Heath cover boy, but I have a feeling he could've laid Chuck out if he chose that response.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Earth
    No way! I am down with Keith's iron constitution but Chuck had to be a fighter if he wanted to survive. Plus he probably had a gun in his boot!

6. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2011
    South Florida
    Heres the rule.......if you are a multi Millionaire and can afford to replace my guitar and then some have at it. I Love Chuck
    but if he touched me for checking out his instrument he would have been stuffed in a gunny sack down by the rail road track.

7. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand
    Keef was wrong...but....two wrongs don't make a right. Violence is not the answer.

micpoc and Steve 78 like this.
  8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    The alleged incident is on tape, and can be seen in the documentary movie, "Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll". The row starts over Keith adjusting Chuck's amplifier. The sound engineer is seen talking to Keith, who walks over and begins tweaking Chuck's EQ. Chuck blows up on him about it, and Keith tries to explain that it is not recording well, etc., etc., etc. No blows are thrown, but voices do get raised, and Mr. Berry looks like he's ready to swing.

9. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Holic

Well, considering that Keith was no stranger to swinging at someone. With an object no less...

There's always a space between the D and my colon. If its my D and my colon it never changes. Someone else's D, it better stay FAR FAR AWAY or you're getting punched!!!!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  10. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    I heard Chuck punched Jerry Lee once for saying that he was the King of Rock and Roll.

11. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016

Just watched the clip, I'm still with Chuck on this one.

I would probably get pretty damn furious if somone adjusted my sound without my approval...then antagonize me further by touching my guitar uninvited.

The way keith says "I understand" was extremely out of line as if he was implying that he knew "better" than Chuck, considering keith modeled himself after Chuck, that's pretty backhanded imo.

I probably would have actually slugged him one honestly, and he would have deserved it.

12. Understateduncool

Understateduncool Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    Decatur, AL
    I saw a clip once, and I don't remember what it was, but it was Keef, Chuck, and some other folks. They launched into johnny b. Good, I think, and Chuck keeps stopping everything and telling Keef that he is playing it wrong. He shows Keef how to play it, Keef plays it back, and no it's wrong, like this! He was really dressing him down, or at least that's the impression that I got. Keef took it well. But it looked like Chuck was getting pretty agitated. I guess if anybody is going to know how to play that riff, it's Chuck. But I also got the feeling that no matter how perfect he played it, it was never going to be right. Just my observation.

13. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Really? You don't think that "Hey get your hands off my guitar!" might just suffice in such a situation?

Alamo and micpoc like this.
  14. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic

Not very smart for a professional guitar player to be punching anything, ever. Not good for the fingers.

15. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    London
    Keith was justified to some extent since he was producing the recording. He later said he subsequently split Chuck's signal and recorded it via an amp set up (Keef's way) in another room.

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    As far as I can tell, there were a number of well-known incidents involving conflict between Chuck and Keith:

1. The guitar story, as told by Keith on Jimmy Fallon show. (I wonder why Chuck would have risked the possibility that the guitar could be damaged, if Keith fell or banged it into something.)
    2. The amplifier knob scene from Hail, Hail.
    3. The Oh Carol rehearsal in Hail, Hail, where Berry rides Keith for playing the riff wrong. The venom was strong, but Keith soldiered through it.
    4. Berry once punched Keith, not realizing at first who he was, and thinking that he was a fan getting too close in a crowd.
    5. My favorite story, in terms of strangeness, is that Berry tossed lit matches down Keith's shirt. I remember someone doing that to me, as a form of rock and roll horseplay, so maybe that's what Chuck was thinking.

Understateduncool and bloomz like this.
  17. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    I love that clip in Hail Hail Rock & Roll where they are rehearsing Oh Carol and Chuck keeps trying to get Keith the to play the intro correctly. After a few lame attempts Chuck gets frustrated and then launches into the most perfect "Chuck Berry" licks exactly as it should be...lol

It was like..."here ya go Keith...in your face!"

W.L.Weller, 8barlouie and RoyBGood like this.
  18. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Friend of Leo's

The punch was too far, too soon. He should've told him to put it back in the case... or else.

bloomz and Alamo like this.
  19. Jumbotronic

Jumbotronic Tele-Meister

Aug 1, 2016
    New York
    I should have added another option to the poll: Give him the stink eye, then resolve to throw lit matches down his shirt whenever possible.

For the record, I'd never advocate for solving just any old problem by punching. That Movie Batman territory, and he's a sociopath. I just think that in this case, Keef got what was coming to him. It's all about the circumstances. If Keith Richards came in and started making out with my wife unsolicited, there's going to be some punching as well (and I bet it's my wife who starts the punching :)). If he comes in and drinks all my liquor unsolicited, that's awesome.

jondanger likes this.
  20. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    Both of those guys are notorious for being obnoxious at times. Keith's was probably substance-driven, but Chuck was just not very nice a lot of the time. The difference to me is that once you punched Keith and got your point across, he'd be likely to laugh it off and get over it. Boys will be boys. But Chuck - I can easily see him holding a grudge for quite awhile.

Alamo and bender66 like this.
  21. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Late for work, I'll have to read all the posts later, but I'd like to just say that I spend a great part of every day trying not to punch anybody.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.