Would you make this trade?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Jan 24, 2018.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Now the guy with the Masterbuilt emailed me and has offered me $500 on top of his Masterbuilt for my D-18. Its tempting but I think that I'll stay with my D-18.
    It would be nice to own a Tele of that caliber but I'm pretty sure regret would be down the road for me.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

$1000 starts conversation

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Funny you say that.
    He has for sale, around that price an Allen Accomplice or a Deluxe reverb reissue completely converted to hand wired by a local respected amp tech.
    I just recently bought an Allen Old Flame head and 2X12 cabinet and have just joined a band. Now I do not look forward to hauling that rig out of the house for practices only so am looking for a smaller grab and go.
    He's having some trouble unloading them and I could probably talk him in to throwing one in to the deal.
    But then I'm back to "do I want to be with out the D-18?"

hrstrat57 likes this.
  4. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Golfnut have you had your hands on this Tele? Could be magical with either of those amps .....

You could sell the Wildwood easily and pick up a used D18 for home noodling.

Ive been jonesin/ searching for a D18 since 1971. Recently found a 80’s Sigma copy with full herringbone treatment. I’ve finally ended the quest for a D18 it’s that good. Just stumbled on it, sometimes this guitar quest stuff can take strange twist and turns.

No bad decision here really.

Let us know what you decide!

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

6. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The guy is coming over tomorrow morning. I work from home on Wednesdays and he's got some business here in my town (he lives about 2 hours away) so he's popping over about 9 am. So I'll have my hands on it tomorrow. I've pretty much already made up my mind though. I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping my D-18. I was playing my Wildwood 52 thin skin tonight and its a pretty nice guitar. Have had a couple compliments on it. From a player and the luthier that set it up really liked it. And I agree. Theres only a couple things that I wish were a bit different but they're fairly negligible. I wish it was a tad lighter. Even though its not that heavy. Its 7.79 pounds. Most teles I've had were between 7.2 and 7.5 pounds so really not that much lighter. And 7.2 is where I'd have like to have been. Its not even about weight on my back because I'm pretty strong and could easily handle a 9 pounder. Its just that I like the way light guitars feel. My D-18 is very light and it just feels more comfortable even though I don't even stand with it.
    I think instead of trading for the masterbuilt I'd rather keep my eyes open for a regular custom shop Nocaster to come up used with the specs that I want and grab that and keep my 52 as well.
    If I trade for the Masterbuilt I'd likely end up selling the 52 and trying to find another D-18. That makes absolutely no sense. I'll just keep the 3 guitars I have and add a CS Nocaster when I find the right one.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  7. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Patience is a virtue that often brings satisfaction, especially when the future may bring you what would have been prefered in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

So I had a chance to play this guitar. I've been playing it all morning. I've been switching back and forth between my 52 thin skin. Honestly I like them both a lot. Maybe equal. I wouldn't say that the Master-built is entirely on a different level just different. Its got the Nocaster bridge pickup and is quite different from my twisted tele bridge. I was thinking of swapping out the TT bridge in mine but I think after playing this masterbuilt I realized that although I like the nocaster pickup I like the TT equally as well.
    The neck on the masterbuilt nocaster is a bit bigger than my guitar. My 52 is about 920 to 980 so its fairly chunky anyway. I like both necks equal.
    The mb nocaster is slightly lighter than mine. Mine is 7.79 I'd say the masterbuilt is 7.4 to 7.5, so negligible in the weight category. Honestly no need to go any lighter for me. So again they are equal in this respect.
    Sustain, resonance I'd have to say is dead even on both. I sat here for a significant amount of time going back and forth plugged in then unplugged, strumming a G chord and letting it ring out. Both vibrated nicely in my hands. I feel that I really got a great 52 from Wildwood to be able to keep up fairly equal to this masterbuilt.
    Intonation on both guitars are dead on. Infact I'd have to say that the edge might go to the masterbuilt. But only by a slight hair. On the A string of my guitar it was maybe a hair flat on the 12th fret compared to open. Very negligible in the scheme of things. You wouldn't notice but in comparison the Masterbuilt was dead on for every string. This surprised me as I have just put Rutters saddles on my 52 and had it set up professionally. The Masterbuilt was just set up professionally as well according to the owner. Action, intonation is perfect on it so I believe him. When I say the intonation wasn't dead on for the A string it is so minor as not to be a problem.
    The relic job is nicely done on this guitar and I really like the look of it next to my more flawless looking thin skin. I think it would be neat to own both these guitars. But to be honest I thought my 2013 CS Nocaster was every bit as good as this Masterbuilt. I'm not taking anything away from the Masterbuilt by saying this as I though my 2013 Nocaster was an amazing guitar.
    So it comes down to, I won't give up my D-18 to own this (or really give up my D-18 for anything) and I won't give up my 52 thin skin. So my only option is, do I want the masterbuilt bad enough to just buy it. My budget realistically is $2,500 CA ($2,000 US) which I should be able to get a CS Nocaster for if one ever pops up used with a 9.5 Radius. One area where I prefer the Masterbuilt is the back of the neck. Its on barewood and this feels fantastic. Do I dare take my 52 thin skin down to the barewood?
    I can get this Masterbuilt for $4,000 CA ($3,180 US). Above my budget but obviously if I want it I'd find the funds.
    The owner has left it with me for a couple weeks. We know each other so there's trust there. If I don't end up taking it I simply make the trip back to his place to return it.
    I'm usually fairly quick on knowing whether I want something or not and "Yes" I'd like to own this guitar. So the only question left is do I stretch the funds for it or wait for a non Masterbuilt Nocaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hrstrat57 likes this.
  9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Just another comment about weight, although I don't want this to seem that weight is most important, I weighed both guitars a few times using the "weigh my self with and without the guitar" method on a digital scale that is very accurate and both guitars came out to 7.6 pounds. Holding each guitar in my hands and I'd have to say they weigh exactly the same.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

B4 the trade : Two Martins w/ a lot of overlap between them (I'm an hour and 15 mins from Elderly. I've played a lot of Authentics ) and a Tele.

If you did the trade : Two Tele's with a lot of overlap between them - and a Martin.

Up to you.

Another thing I've played a bunch of at Elderly are every different permutation of Nocasters. The great ones are some of the best electrics I've played and remind me why I like Tele's so much.

Do you have the '37 model D-18 or the '39 one ?

The '37's tend to go for more used.

11. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I have the 39.
    Regarding the "Overlap" when I initially purchased the D-18A 39, after I already had the D-28A41, I figured that it would be fun to try out the D-18A and then maybe sell or trade it later. A couple times months ago I had it listed locally but ended up pulling the ad. Its become a big favorite of mine, which is why its hard to impossible to let it go. Its my go to guitar mainly for home and I've used it over the D-28 in the studio.
    My D-28 is my bluegrass jamming guitar. Maybe some overlap but each one has its specific uses.
    As for my 52 and possibly buying this masterbuilt nocaster, well they are also quite different flavors of the blackguard tele's.

12. Smoochimoto

Smoochimoto TDPRI Member

If I were you, unless I had one of those epiphanous moments where the heavens opened up when playing the masterbuilt and comparing it to your tele I'd pass. In the distant past I owned a REAL 1936 D-18. That guitar still haunts me from time to time. I've also played (but never owned) several different mid 50's teles. Exceptional guitars but not in the same class. I own several teles now that are close enough for me to those 50's teles.

I say this because I've played some '37 and '39 D-18A's and they are SCARY close to the one I had. I used to build D type guitars and mandolins in Ohio for a reasonably well respected acoustic builder. I'm in a financial position again to purchase another pre war D-18 and if I were to purchase, I would get the D-18A. Less money, less maintenance, less fear when I take it out.

Obviously the choice is yours, but unless you were immediately enamoured with the MB, I'd very strongly advise keeping the D-18A, or be prepared for the guitar version of Marley's ghost to haunt you.

13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've long moved on from this and the decision has already been made to keep the D-18A.
    I'm glad my friend lent me his Masterbuilt nocaster for a few weeks. I was going back and forth between it and my 52 thin skin and realized I like my 52 thin skin better. I was going to order a non relic nocaster to go along side my 52 but decided that my 52 is all the Tele I need right now so I ordered a nice 56 thin skin from Wildwood for some different tone options.

FredDairy likes this.
  14. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Sorry if I sound sorta harsh or firm in my stance here, but text makes it sound more angry than I would be if we were having a beer talking about this.

The money for the Fender Custom Shop IMO is paying more for art(relicing and hype)than an actual instrument. I really dislike fake wear on a guitar. I couldn't imagine paying for that. It boggles my mind actually.

I also think Custom Shop Fenders are a waste of money and I've owned 4 and I'm glad I sold them for more than I payed. Even I bought into the hype these were somehow better than stock Fenders.

Taking a step back, what Leo intended the Telecaster to be was a tool. There is nothing a stock '52 RI Telecaster can't do that that Nocaster will best it at.
    For me, I don't care how you slice it at the end of the day the Telecaster is a bolted together electronic tool.
    Also, gigging with a Telecaster is fun because I don't have $2000+ invested in it. It's a total working man's guitar.
    And when I'm not playing it at a gig I enjoy taking it out on my porch in any sort of whether, drinking, grilling, and not having to worry about it.

If it was a Custom Shop Gibson? Maybe. Those are constructed differently than the stock USA Gibsons. I have two Custom Shop Les Pauls and I sometimes think I paid stupid money for just a "guitar."

IMO that Martin D-18A is an actual "instrument". I got deep into Bluegrass music a few years ago. I started with a Blueridge, then a Martin DM, then Martind D-18 Standard, and finally a Martin D-18 GE. The Authentic was out of my range and always will be. But that's the pinnacle of modern Martins. I can actually see the construction/cost difference between all those acoustic guitars where I can't with the Telecaster. Plus if you got an Authentic you like, DAMN that's going to be hard to replace.

JL_LI and hrstrat57 like this.
  15. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Read your post and I don't find it harsh. I welcome your opinion.

I agree with you on the relicing, Although my opinion has changed somewhat. I did end up buying the Masterbuilt heavy relic Nocaster from my friend. Over the month I had it here for trial I fell in love with this little ugly duckling. I don't agree that Custom shop fenders are a waste of money. At least not for me. When you say that the lower series Fenders are as good I believe you as that is what is right for you. And even me to some degree. I find I love my 52 thin skin equally to the Masterbuilt relic. Infact I pick up the 52 RI much more. There are things about the 52 RI I love more and there are things that are far superior on the MB Nocaster, to me. I would never have paid the new price on one and got a decent enough deal on it used. One thing that is near impossible to get on a lesser series Fender that you can get on a custom shop is that big chunky nocaster neck. The 55 strat journey man relic I just picked up has that big U nocaster neck as well. I love it. The 56 thin skin strat I sent back was almost unplayable for me as the fret board was so over rolled and the frets so beveled that the 2 E's slipping off the fretboard was unavoidable. My 52 RI has this problem slightly but not near as bad. My CS 55 strat doesn't have this problem at all. Custom shop is worth it for me as I like the feature set they bring. Unfortunately it brings a premium.
    Also with the custom shop guitars you have more chance of getting the coveted light guitar, although I don't really go for extra light guitars. Between 7.4 and 7.8 pounds is fine for me. All my electrics are in that range. My first consideration is big chunky necks. Honestly I wish all the features that I preferred could be found on sub 1k guitars

I feel the same with my MB Nocaster. Maybe mixing some real relicing with the fake relicing will give it a more authentic look. Maybe not. I don't really care. I didn't buy it for its looks.

A couple years ago I bought an R7. It was beautiful guitar. I'd have kept it but at the time I thought I was giving up electric all together because of tinnitus problems. I came back to playing electric but have not yet gotten another Gibson but if I do it will be another R7.

The D-18GE is a beautiful guitar. I did own one. I'd have kept it except I had a problem with the 2 1/8 bridge spacing at the bridge. It was just enough difference that my bluegrass flat picking wasn't as fluid and quick as on a narrower spacing. I tried and tried to get used to it but no matter how used to it I got it was never going to feel as natural as on a 1 11/16 nut width, 2 1/8 bridge spacing. So I sold it and picked up a used D-18 authentic 1939

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    FredDairy likes this.
  16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Check out Johan shootout of Gibson R Les Paul guitars. R7 clear winner for my taste.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.