Would you make this trade?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Jan 24, 2018.

1. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

Don't do it.

2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Well this is the first thread I've been involved in where everyone agrees with my wife. Of course usually I'm seeking advice on whether to buy or not.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  3. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Only you can answer that question, if it was me, I would never trade a pre-war D-18 for anything modern. But I happen to LOVE the D-18, I traded my '57 D-18 many, many years ago, for a '62 SG, which I thought was a fair trade, but now I have neither, and if I could get one or the other back, it would without question be the Martin. I am biased as that Martin D-18 to me, was the absolute BEST guitar I have owned or will ever own, they are masterpieces in their own right.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  4. RedRiverII

RedRiverII TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I just broke out four guitars and played with each. The one I swore to get rid of isn't going anywhere, and the one I swore to keep is a likely candidate to leave soon. Tomorrow will likely change today's thoughts.

We all ponder the numbers entering retirement and select the day to retire. I did the numbers game for twenty years, figuring over and over the money. I suggest you have a plan on what you are going to spend your time on. Don't count yourself out at 58. You may live a long time and need more stuff to go with the stuff you already have.

Many conversations like this one remind me of our junk drawers. Think of it like " thinning the herd " " making room for..." "tidying up a bit..." We fix up the junk drawer, get rid of all sorts of stuff we hadn't used for decades, and sure enough the next day we need one of the tossed items. Two days go by and the junk drawer is back in it's former glory. Save yourself the agony and go buy the other guitar. JMHO

Piggy Stu likes this.
  5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

I should have read the whole thread before my earlier comments, but one of the answers hit it right on the nose! You said you would never part with the D-28, and kind of felt the same way about the D-18, and someone said you shouldn't trade for something because of a want for it. Truer words could not be said. If it was me, I would just buy, (cash) the guitar, and still keep the Martin, that way if the CS Tele doesn't work out, you can sell, and still have the D-18 too! Only you can make that call.....I guess that makes me a true GASser. LOL

6. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I started out with a planned budget of $1,000 (Canadian) and was considering the Baja, as I just wanted another electric to play from time to time and mostly hang on the wall. Then I found a used Wildwood 52 thin skin, albeit twice my initial planned budget decided to go for it. Of course I started second guessing my self and thought I should have stretched my budget for another custom shop nocaster. I really wanted another but realized that the guitar I bought was already twice my budget.
    So of course now with an opportunity to go to a higher level instrument and with no disposable funds to do so, you start thinking about cannibalizing your current stock. Luckily I gained some insight here and gave my self time to think.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  7. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

no trade- you already said how much you love the martins and don't even like the tele you are about to trade for....we all have guitars we are sorry we sold but chasing them this way to try and get them back will only lead to more regrets

8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It's not a real prewar D18, but a reissue from the Authentic series.

9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

You already have a Tele that you love. Keep both Martins and the Tele and buy a Strat.

10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've owned several strats over the years and could never get along with them long term. Loved the tone of a strat but they just feel too crowded.
    The best strat I ever owned over the years is a 62 hot rod. It had a nice chunky C neck and a big fat tone. Should have kept that one.
    In the end I just resigned my self to the fact that I'm not a strat guy.
    I've also tried to love Les Pauls and have owned a gold top Traditional and then an R7 gold top which was a phenomenal guitar but in the end again just not an LP guy.
    The next guitar I'd really like to own is an SG with a chunky neck and 57's. The chunky neck part will be hard with out going custom shop which I'm not prepared to do. I like to play a lot of slide and it sounds great on a tele but the SG was made for slide.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nope. Don't do it and move on. Times will change down the road ... maybe ... or maybe not. A guitar that you instantly fall in love with, might be worth the swap, but until then ...

Piggy Stu likes this.
  12. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I spent the whole night, tonight, playing my 52 thin skin. I'm pretty sure it will be all the Tele I need. I've definitely decided my D-18 will stay mine.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Glad to hear it. Fine acoustics are on a whole nother level than a slab of wood with a nice neck and electronics on it. You already have a great Tele, I don't think you can improve 'that' much with a masterbuilt. IMHO.

Piggy Stu, Obsessed and drmmrr55 like this.
  14. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

How familiar are you with the other available Fender telecasters that 'used or new', are out there waiting for a change of address? The AVRI line offers some great players, including the '52 reissue which is not too far away from the level of the CS Nocasters, Masterbuilt or otherwise in both playability and craftsmanship. There are a number of others.

I have a couple of excellent CS Nocasters that are amazing guitars. I also own an '82 original issue '52 AVRI, as well as a 2013 version of the same guitar. I also own an 'early fifties' Nacho Banos Telecaster of that same style of guitar - which to me is the Rolls Royce of the group. Non of these guitars are flawed; each has been well set-up and all are superb players, yet each has it's own character. OK, the Nachocaster is kinda expensive, however you don't need to go there anyway unless of course you want a Rolls Royce.

Maybe put the thoughts of paying the extra Canuckbucks for the Masterbuilt CS Nocaster to one side, and try some of the many alternatives. Even here in snowy Canada there is a great selection of quality new and used guitars that might fit the bill........ and just think of the fun you can have whilst you are researching or are closing in on your dream guitar, to the point you may actually be sad when you find that guitar that ticks all the boxes. I know the feeling ..... been there.

Good luck anyway, but remember, please don't ever part with any guitar that you may later regret having done so. There are some things you can't turn the clock back on, and parting with a favourite guitar is close to the top of the list on that score. Regrets don't ever make the sweetest music.

15. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Recently saw a 1936 D18 in a shop asking $49k

Keep the D18

Edited because I read the whole thread and saw you have 52 thin skin

D28 D18 and a sweet 52 Blackguard ri?

Lucky!

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Piggy Stu likes this.
  16. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for don't do it.

17. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad you decided to keep both Martin's. I sold a '53 Gibson ES-125 because I thought I had it covered with the '56 Gibson ES-175 I have. I miss that guitar and sorry I ever sold it. In hindsight they'd be the only guitars I need.

18. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

I think the whole relic thing is a fad. In 10 years there will be standard fenders that have been played and worn true and they'll be worth more (and prob sound better) than the relic'd stuff. I know, I know how much the relic'd stuff is selling, just look at the showcase guitars at NAMM, but I don't think it will stand the test of time because at the end of the day its artifical.

19. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

I'd keep the Martin

20. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Keep the Martin, look around for a decent used Tele with the appointments desired imho. You may not have per say the same Tele but per say you can still have the best of both worlds without sacrificing a nice instrument imho

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.