Would you make this trade?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Jan 24, 2018.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I have a D-18 Authentic 1939. Its not my main acoustic. My D-28 Authentic 1941 is. I've recently gotten back in to Electric again and recently picked up a Wildwood 52 thin skin tele. Its a great guitar but I really regret selling my CS Nocaster LTD a couple years ago and that was a different level of guitar. Although I don't think by much.
    So recently I have the opportunity to trade my D-18 for a Master built Nocaster. Its a heavy relic. Not sure how I feel about the relicing.
    In the long run I'm not sure how smart a trade this would be. Although its not my main acoustic it is the one I pick up at home 80% of the time. My D-28 excels at jams and jamming with others or if I have a performance. The D-28 I'll never get rid of. I kind of feel the same way about the D-18. Financially I'll never have the opportunity to own a Masterbuilt Nocaster. Even buying another CS Nocaster with out selling something I have was not doable, hence why I bought a used 52 thin skin.
    On the other hand if I make this trade I'll probably never be able to own another D-18 authentic. I'm at a point in my life (58 this year) where I have to slow down or near stop buying expensive gear and get ready for retirement and to basically retire with what I have. If I made the trade for the Masterbuilt I'd sell the 52. I think the thought that I could have owned something higher end than the thin skin that I have is taking away some of the joy and appreciation I could have for this guitar. Meaning, I guess I should just be grateful for owning a decent electric. And 2 very nice acoustics.
    I know in the end it will have to be me that makes the decision but I guess its just curiosity to hear what others think.

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I believe you have answered your own question, there will always be "something else" out there; as you approach retirement (or any activity that will lessen or divert funds) you must shift mindset to reflect the realities of the new situation, or face a long winter of discontent.

Obsessed and davidchagrin like this.
  3. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

yeah i would agree, think you might regret the trade, especially as you use the D-18 80% of the time

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Would you make this trade?”

Perhaps it’s time to play the trump card?

5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Its hard to say if I'd make the trade. If I was the one with the Masterbuilt maybe I'd love it.
    But I'll tell you one thing no way would I make this trade with Trump.

televillian likes this.
  6. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I also believe you answered your own question.

"The D-28 I'll never get rid of. I kind of feel the same way about the D-18"

Doesn't even sound like you are in love with the Custom Shop guitar.

Don't sell something you really don't want to part with just to get something you don't have.

7. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

There's magic in those vintage Martin guitars. If I were lucky enough to own one, let alone two, I'd never let them go.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The bolded part, I think you said it right there. I have to split this up in to a number of thoughts to see what I really want. 1- having a masterbuilt?. Cool but not a must for me. I'm not sure I value that aspect. 2 - Relic. Its never been my thing. Light relic would be ok but heavy relic as in the guitar I'm looking at, not so much.
    What I really would have liked and something I could get with my D-18 and money left over, is really just a decent Custom shop Nocaster. So I have to compare that with what I have. The 52 thin skin with custom shop pickups. The neck is not quite as big as a Nocaster, which I loved the big chunky neck. But the dimensions differences aren't huge. Its actually a fairly beefy neck on the 52. Weight wise. My CS Nocaster from a couple years ago was just under 7.5 by maybe a couple ounces. The 52 I have is 7.79 lbs. So again not a big difference. Finish color is almost the same. The 52 is blond but slightly darker.
    I have a feeling once I get the rutter saddles on it and have my local tech do a good setup on it (cause its suffering huge in that area) I'll be fine.
    Thanks everyone for having this discussion. I think I've been able to work through what most likely would have been a big mistake.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Just my personal opinion. I'm not offering advice, only perspective. For me, no way would I trade the guitar I use most for one I may tire of. I also hate the relic look. I prefer to age my instruments slowly, naturally, and gracefully. You have beautiful vintage Martins. You should be able to find a Telecaster that pleases you with a little looking around. I don't see CS as much more than a good production guitar unless you order something made to your personal specifications.

golfnut and Piggy Stu like this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I think it is harder to make a fine acoustic than a fine electric and I prize them accordingly for value purposes

I don't play acoustic much but I wouldn't swap what you have for some relic

Obsessed, dogmeat and JL_LI like this.
  11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

If I had a fire place I would carve this over the mantel..

Obsessed, JL_LI and ladave like this.
  12. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Ok. Just so there is no confusion. These Martins aren't actually vintage. They are both from Martins "Authentic" series.

13. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Not to take anything away from what I'm sure are amazing acoustics but I don't believe the OP is referring to vintage martins, I think they are vintage spec reissues.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Keep the Martins....play the thin skin...that is my advice, golfnut.

golfnut likes this.
  15. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

I hadn't realized that, but I'll stand by my statement with that exception. Those are amazing acoustic guitar. Imo, they are far more exceptional than any solid-body electric guitar.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don't know how much difference that would make to me. I'd still never trade the guitar I use 80% of the time for an unknown that started its life looking like the loser in a cage fight. Fender makes great looking and great playing guitars at all price points. I'd find one to love and let it age the way nature intended. Guitars get more beautiful with natural age and wear. Those are signs of love. Guitars only get ugly when the finish is scraped off a few days after they've been painted.

golfnut likes this.
  17. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Since I've been talking about them I figured I post a pic.

[​IMG]

AlbertaGriff, SweetClyde99 and JL_LI like this.
  18. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

no trade. you can never get the Martin back. there are tons of good Teles being made. the only thing I would consider is maybe a vintage Tele of equal condition and value

19. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The problem is, since I'm 58 this year and my guitars seldom go out of the house my guitars are probably never going to age gracefully. I do keep them hung on a wall and not in a case.
    I'm not interested in getting in to a "relic" or "not relic" discussion but I will say that it doesn't please my eye to see a heavily relic'd guitar. One that looks like its been dragged behind a pickup truck. Even if it got that way naturally.
    I have to say though that between my Wildwood 52 thin skin and the CS Nocaster with a closet classic finish that I used to own the thin skin is a lot more delicate.
    Usually the first thing I do, and did with my CS Nocaster, is to lightly sand with a fine scouring pad, the back of the neck and fret board. I usually end up with a fine powder on the green scouring pad I use and the neck and fretboard feel really smooth and get a bit closer to the wood.
    Well I did this on the 52 thin skin, only one time hardly at all and the back of the neck is pretty much bare wood and the fret board which I sanded even less now gets dark spots when I play. So I have to say out of all the guitars I've owned in the past including 2 different Nocasters with thin finishes, this thin skin is truly the thinnest. So maybe before I'm 70' it will get to looking quite worn.
    I'm now looking at the possibility of applying tru-oil to the back of the neck. Not sure I like playing on completely bare wood.

20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Its not a true vintage. Its an authentic series reproduction of a 1939 D-18. The closest repro that Martin currently builds. You are right though if I trade it I'll likely never get another one as my expensive guitar buying days are pretty much over. But statiscally I could easily get another one down the road.

dogmeat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.