Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you like to to be burried with your guitar?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Kimbarafuzz, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    I told my kids to wrap me in a sheet, dig a hole in the back part of my dad's land, roll me in, cover me with some lime (keep the critters from digging me up) and plant a tree atop me whenever they're done filling in the hole.

My guitars? They can do what they want to with them. None of my kids seem interested in playing. Maybe some future grandkid will take an interest.

They can keep what they want for sentimental reasons and dispose of the rest as they see fit. Sell or dump. Doesn't matter.

I'm going to be too busy trying to help grow a tree to worry about such things!

nojazzhere and PacificaChris like this.

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I’m going to be cremated so no. Plus it would a waste to do so.

Jimmy Owen, 41144 and Obsessed like this.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm also demanding cremation, so the family players ... my wife and step-daughter, can decide which ones they want and sell off the others. Hopefully I live long enough for the grandkids to get some choices too. Both are showing great interest in guitar at young ages.

41144 likes this.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    My son can have all my gear, as far as I'm concerned. My wife might feel the need to convert some of it to cash, if she's still around, but at the very least, he gets the Gibson 335. And the '71 Super. And he can sell a Martin to get himself a J45. And...

It's probably not realistic, but I'd like nothing better than to have my grandkids grow up to play, and to have a sweet guitar come their way, from Grandpa's collection.

Though if they're like me, they shouldn't take possession until they're at least 40, or they'll do something dumb.

41144 and tominwa like this.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Load all my gear on this with me aboard (and I think the tradition goes that you've gotta load my ex on here too, but I'll take a pass on that one)

vikingfuneral.jpg

moosie, faulp and Nickadermis like this.

7. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I'd say yes along with two dozen horses, a chariot, a gold shroud and servents to tend to me in the afterlife.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'd like to think my wife will find homes for them. The few thousand they'll bring in if sold won't matter so my preference will be for her to bring them to a music department in a school and given to kids who wouldn't otherwise be able to own a pro level instrument.

9. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Dude she's gonna sell em for below what you TOLD her you paid for them.

Jimmy Owen and Nickadermis like this.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Don't you run the risk of the neck being "twisted"????.....just sayin' ;)

Nickadermis likes this.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Bienvenue,

Je ne parle pas très bien français :)

No way would I want to be buried/cremated with any of my guitars. If I ever have kids, they will get them. I only hope they would use them or pass them on to someone who could appreciate and use them.

What about you?!

Bon week-end!

41144 likes this.

12. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I would much rather leave it to my kid(s) so it could become an heirloom and be something that could be passed down from generation to generation.

That is kind of a thing in my family, guitars and guns.

nojazzhere likes this.

13. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2008
    Santa Barbara
    cremation.... All across the nation. It's a strange vibration.

Doug 54 likes this.

14. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Nope. When you're dead, you're dead. If I should go in the immediate future guitars are to be claimed by relatives who will actually play them. Any others are to be taken to my friend's music store and sold on consignment with the proceeds going to sons for their endeavors!

41144 likes this.

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Nope, Nope, Nope.

No guitar that has passed through my hands has ever been elevated in the way Chuck Berry elevated his. I'd like to think those guitars deserve a second chance. Plus, I'm going the ashes to dust way, so no sense in having a guitar involved.

None of my kids play, but I have a couple nephews who do and my grandsons will. I just feel it in my bones.

When my mom passed away, I made a small, simple cross out of grape vine to be buried with her. She was very attached to her church and it was a simple thing to do. If one of my kids throws in a guitar pick, that would be about right.

nojazzhere likes this.

16. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    I've already put in my LW&T where each of mine go. My prized 3, one goes to my wife, one to my oldest, one to my best friend.

But I wouldn't mind being buried with a bottle of Laphraig and my G&L ASAT.

nojazzhere likes this.

17. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    What your last wishes are don't necessarily matter much. Just sayin, for all you know your stuff ends up on auction at an estate sale, or even in a land fill

Jimmy Owen and TMMC like this.

18. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    I have wifi and tivo in the afterlife, so it matters a little because I'll be watchin.

teletimetx likes this.

19. LP26

LP26 TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth
    I'm going to be creamated and see no good reason to torch a finely made instrument.

Since both my grandsons are taking lessons and playing now (both are 7) I'll leave each of them an acoustic and electric along with an amp apiece for the electrics. My wife can sell off the balance of the gear.

My will has been written and signed.

TMMC likes this.

20. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I really don't care the slightest about my gear after I'm gone

41144 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.