Would you do this?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ce24, Apr 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I love my es335 clone but ive never liked 2vol 2tone configuration. Im thinking of rewiring to 1vol 1tone. Anybody done this or any real drawbacks?
    Thanks.

nojazzhere and dan1952 like this.
  2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

No drawbacks as far as I'm concerned. 2 + 2 controls never worked for me, either. I just never made that change.

nojazzhere, brookdalebill and ce24 like this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The drawbacks are obvious - you can't set pickup volume independently and use the toggle switch to go from a low volume rhythm tone to a full out lead. But I never do that, I'm in the MV / MT camp with you. Last thing I want to do is have to remember which pickup I'm on before I turn a volume pot. Or have to fiddle with two volumes when I'm in middle position.

It might sound a little brighter with two fewer pots in the circuit, but that's rarely a big problem.

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

godin.jpg

Sounds like a good idea to me...one of the reasons this will be my next guitar.

5. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I've set mine up to where the two tone controls were a single universal tone control, and a universal treble control (removes the bass). I think a killer setup would be instead to have two volumes, one for each pickup, a universal tone control, and then a treble control as I have, but only have it work on the neck pickup. Often times people complain that the PAF neck humbuckers are too woofy and bassy, so I think a dedicated knob to adjust the neck pickup's bass output would be really useful. The low end of a bridge pickup is usually never an issue one way or another.

ce24 likes this.
  6. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

look to the G&L PTB with basscut and high cut. basscut gets me almost in to singelcoil territory
    so you could end up with volume for every pickup and shared PTB

ce24 likes this.
  7. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

the other consideration is that most gibson style guitars use a coupled circuit, so that when both pickups are selected, turning the volume down on one pickup kills the sound of all pickups. a de-couple rewire is easy to do and allows the blending of both pickups.

spellcaster, aerhed, Bruxist and 2 others like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

my Epi dot studio has that , much simpler to operate I like that.

P1011373.JPG

ce24 likes this.
  9. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I much prefer the single tone and volume setup with two humbuckers- this is what I have on my favorite Ibanez JS1200 and I find it to be much simpler than the 4-knob setup on my SG or my Epi Dot. I played the SG exclusively for 2 year and often had a volume "mishap" when playing, where I switched pickups in a ig and my volume was either way to high or too low. I guess I'm just not good enough to keep track of two volume knobs at the same time!

ce24 likes this.
  10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My 2HB Telemaster is configured like that. You lose some flexibility I suppose, but it hasn’t bothered me.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Less is more in this instance, IMO.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You came to the world of "One volume/one tone" guitars for advice. When I have owned guitars with "two and two", I ALWAYS re-wire to "one and one". For one thing, I generally prefer the tone of the two pickups, when combined.....changing the volume of one alters the balance, so you have to change the volume on the other to maintain a consistent tone. I also like only dealing with one tone control, regardless of the pickup selected.
    I acknowledge that there are probably more "tonal" choices with the more controls, but on a gig I just don't need "more choices". I say , "GO FOR IT!"

ce24 likes this.
  13. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Well.. It's done.... Here is the new harness. Love it.... Works like a charm! IMG_20190429_093245158.jpg

24 track and Bruxist like this.
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My avatar guitar is wired 1 vol/1 tone modern wiring while the other 2 pots are for volume/tone of the piezos under the bridge area. The jack is a stereo jack with pickups on one side and piezo on the other side.

You could do a lot of things with those other pots. You could have a treble and bass pots, blend in a piezo(mounted in the neck pocket for best results), onboard one pot effect module, add a varitone circuit or some coil split switches. Almost endless opportunities.

ce24 likes this.
  15. Rob DiStefano

love the epi dot studio, too. would take one over any real gibson custom shop 335. of course, the dot would need some tweakin' here and there and there and there and .... :D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    24 track and Zepfan like this.
  16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Schematic for this? If it wouldn't be too much trouble. Or a link to one.

I think my Deluxe Tele is wired like the Gibson style.

17. Rob DiStefano

decoup.gif

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  18. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks Rob!

19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

you will notice that this guitar is right handed , it is one of my only 5 guitars that are. the reason why i have this guitar is .....when I walked by it in the store the set up was perfect, by that I mean perfect, I bought it on the spot , put a harmonica bridge on it and a lefty nut flipped the strings and the set up was still perfect , the first thing i noticed when I plugged it in was the uncovered HB's and this by far is the blussiest guitar I own ( I have 22) I will never sell it , and I would absolutely like to find out who set it up because that person is a god!

so I guess I dont understand your generalization,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.